We came across 4 interesting jobs at Amazon, Creative Assembly, EA, and UFC – and they’re looking for an Audio Software Engineer, Senior Sound Designer, Audio Director II, and Sound Designer.
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
New World is a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game that allows you to carve your own destiny with other players in a living, hostile, cursed land. How you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against is up to you. Live on your own amidst the supernatural terrors or join with others to build thriving civilizations.
As a Software Development Engineer on our core technology team, you will be a creative problem solver who loves audio technology. You will work with our development teams and customers to design and build audio systems for games. We’ll count on you to raise the bar with solid engineering fundamentals and leadership, but also with your passion for making games sound great through flexible, robust software. You will work alongside talented industry veterans, including key contributors from dozens of titles: Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Watchdogs, Evolve, Gears of War, Killer Instinct, God of War.
• Develop, maintain and expand core audio systems and features
• Research and prototype new audio features and techniques
• Maintain and extend technical documentation
• Understand the fundamentals of audio engines and pipeline
• Solve difficult, loosely-defined problems by writing elegant and practical code
• Assist in developing engineering plans and commitments, and then deliver consistently against those commitments
• Challenge yourself and others to constantly raise the bar on quality, consistency, maintainability, efficiency, and above all, a great gaming experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of professional software engineering experience, working on multi-discipline teams with a specialty in audio systems
• Experience with a variety of audio engines and middleware
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
• Solid software engineering skills, including the ability to write maintainable and robust code in modern C++
• Good communication skills and ability to work effectively on shared projects with designers, artists, testers, and other developers
• Games industry experience
• Proven expertise building audio features and systems for interactive experiences
• Working experience in multithreaded and distributed environments
• Understanding of game audio systems and technologies (e.g. data and memory management, dynamic mixing, bussing, environmental effects, DSP)
• Unity, Unreal, CryEngine, Lumberyard or other 3D game engine development experience
Company: Creative Assembly
Location: Horsham, UK
Joining our highly accomplished audio team, this an opportunity to be a part of the Audio department working on our Total War projects. As a Sound Designer you will be creating, implementing and mixing sound effects and other audio for the multi award-winning Total War titles developed at the studio. We take the craft of designing and mixing sounds seriously, so as a creative and technical individual, if being part of an award-winning team and working on AAA games is your passion then apply now!
All Audio applicants are required to submit a show reel in support of their application, demonstrating creative sound design. Applications cannot be considered without an accompanying show reel.
As a senior sound designer, you’ll be responsible creating and implementing sound effects, responding to direction from the Audio Director on audio aesthetics and sound design feedback, using techniques, such as location / studio recording, Foley recording in addition to utilising pre-recorded in-house and commercial material.
Working directly with the Lead Sound Designer, you will take ownership of areas of the games audio, researching and planning out the delivery of the required audio assets, while working closely with Audio Programmers to develop and improve audio systems and tools. You will implement and mix audio content into the game using Audiokinetic, Wwise, other 3rd party software and our in-house tools, ensuring that the resulting sounds are up to AAA standards in quality, creativity and optimisation. There may be further opportunities to create and mix audio content for in-game movies, trailers, demos and conferences.
You will set high standards, and help mentor junior members of the team and when required, work and collaborate with external audio vendors.
Essential Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
• Proven excellence with creative sound design
• In-house games development experience at a senior level as a ‘sound designer’ or similar
• Experience track lay and mixing audio to linear footage (cinematics, cut-scenes) to commercial standards
• Highly experienced integrating and mixing audio in game projects
• Must have completed work on at least 3 shipped full price retail console or PC games, completing full in-house product cycles
• Experienced with Wwise audio engine
• Pro Tools 9 or above experience to advanced level
• Must be a pro-active, problem solver who is highly organised and solution focused – seeks challenges and delivers results
• Ability to quickly learn new audio tools and software for creating and implementing content
• Ability to plan, organise and oversee location sfx recording sessions
• Passionate about sound and music in games and other forms of a/v entertainment
• Professional location and studio based sound effects recording experience
• Knowledge and familiarity of Total War brand
• HND in Sound Engineering (or above)
• AAA video game experience
• A full clean driving licence to be able to attend remote Foley sessions
We are Creative Assembly:
Creative Assembly is one of the UK’s leading games development studios, founded in 1987 and located in West Sussex, UK and in Sofia, Bulgaria.
We have gathered our team of world-class, diverse and multi-national talent, dedicated to crafting some of the most renowned gaming experiences and giving our loyal followers worlds in which to immerse themselves.
Our focus on quality has filled our awards cabinet over the years – from BAFTAs to Ivor Novellos. We owe this to our team – creatives from a breadth of backgrounds, who unite to share their ideas and expertise, to craft the highest quality gameplay.
Company: EA Audioworks
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
EA’s Audioworks team has a full-time Audio Director II opportunity at our Tiburon location in Orlando, Florida. There are many exciting projects underway in our studios and we produce progressive audio content for in-game products from multiple studio locations. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States to apply for this position.
Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking an audio visionary for our Audioworks Tiburon location. This role is dynamic and multi-faceted, working with core game team partners to craft an end to end audio vision for multiple projects. As a leader in the Audioworks team you are responsible for delivering a high quality and engaging audio experience as well as being a major contributor to our audio community.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for video games, with an overwhelming drive to create a world class audio experience. You will:
• Work with the audio team and dev partners to establish a strong creative vision for multiple projects at the studio.
• Communicate executive vision, at all levels.
• Own the final mix of the game, cut scenes, and marketing videos.
• Advocate and design audio pipeline features and workflow processes.
• Bring out the best in your team members and peers.
• Collaborate and communicate with multiple studios across the world.
• Help build a stronger audio community within EA.
You have experience in all phases of audio design and production, with proficiency in every step of the pipeline; studio and location recording, from precision editing and design to technical implementation.
• Minimum of ten years game audio or related industry (film) experience, in a leadership capacity.
• Proven track record delivering high quality audio content for games and/or films.
• Strong artistic and creative sensibilities.
• Ability to communicate and execute vision, at all levels.
• Expert knowledge of modern sound creation techniques, processing and standards.
• Highly skilled in the areas of mixing and presentation in all formats.
• Has broad expertise using game development tools, technology and pipelines.
• Analytic thinker and problem solver in a collaborative environment.
• An interest in AAA sports titles.
Please note: While music is critical to the emotional impact of the game, this position will not involve any composition work.
Audioworks is an award winning team creating audio assets for titles within EA STUDIOS. Through uniting our creative talents and technical expertise, Audioworks is driving industry leading audio through partnership, professionalism, expertise, innovation and uncompromising quality.
Company: Ultimate Fighting Championship
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
The Sound Designer is a key position within a large creative Production team dedicated to the ongoing construction of creative promotional and broadcast content for distribution on national network services and global platforms. This position assists in the creation of sound designs, re-recording mixes and masters of promos, short and long-form programs and original TV content for the UFC original productions team. The Sound Designer reports to the Director of Post Production and works closely with Producers and Editors, but is expected to work for long periods without direct supervision. Sound Designers may be assigned to a creative post-production project anywhere within the scope of the project completion from rough cut to finishing and mastering.
• Performs voice-over recordings, sessions, dialog editing and audio treatment of original content. Regulate volume level and sound quality during recording sessions, using control consoles. Deliver files to editors/clients as instructed.
• Interacts with multiple file storage devices and complies with department archiving practices.
• Operates and troubleshoots Pro Tools digital audio workstation and associated outboard equipment and integrated consoles to edit, mix, master, and fashion variants of promotional content.
• Properly applies equalization, compression and effects (ProTools and Waves Plugins) according to UFC specifications, in accordance with industry standard and best practice.
• Exports long format programs in all formats and stems (Dialog, VO, Music, FX, NAT mono and stereo) and delivers files to the production team.
• Creates first pass mixes for post-production video and original content (Evergreens, Reloaded, Web pieces and promos). Delivers final files and M&E to editors as instructed, following broadcast specs.
• Synchronizes 5.1/2.0/1.0 audio to picture, to include effects, dialog, voiceover and music.
• Obtains proper balance of all elements within a mix during re-recording process at broadcast levels of -24LKFS (dialogue loudness to prevailing specification and recommended practice by SMPTE, ATSC and FCC).
• Generates and ingests from OMF, AAF, EDL files and other media transport bundles to instantiate projects and transfer projects to other editing systems.
• Utilizes our asset management systems to browse available media content in SAN / DAM. Uses only approved libraries of graphic content, music and sound effects within projects.
• Assists with field/on location audio when needed for production shoots.
Responsible for troubleshooting and maintaining recording equipment and ProTools DAW at the Studio.
Skills & Experience:
• Degree in Audio Engineering, Audio Visual Production or equivalent experience in a related field.
• Proficiency in Pro Tools HD, Waves Plugins and Izotope RX. Final Cut and Premiere Pro knowledge a plus.
• Knowledge of CALM act and standard broadcast deliverables.
• Experience mixing in 5.1 surround sound preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese and/or French is a plus.
• UFC conducts pre-emplyoment drug and background screenings.
Become a Champion with us: Just like the way our fighters prepare with their training partners to be the very best, here at the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) we encourage that type of teamwork. A UFC employee, like a mixed martial artist, is well-rounded and willing to put in the time necessary to be world-class. With a team of champions in the office, the UFC has fought relentlessly to break into the sports world with undeniable success. Our growth both in and outside of the Octagon has revolutionized the fight business and made the UFC the world’s leading mixed martial arts promoter and largest pay-per-view event provider. We are universally recognized for our action-packed, can’t-miss events that have sold out some of the most prestigious arenas around the globe. Come join us as we progress at a rate never-before-seen in the professional sports world.
The UFC has additional offices in London, Toronto, Singapore and Sao Paulo.
The Ultimate Opportunity:
Our Las Vegas office has an on-site Cafe serving healthy, delicious breakfast and lunch and a state of the art Performance Center that employees have access to. And, all employees receive UFC FIGHT PASS, a digital subscription services with exclusive live events, thousands of fights on-demand, original content, The Ultimate Fighter television show and more!