We came across 4 interesting jobs at Everywhere, Io-Interactive, EA Audioworks, and Tsugi – and they’re looking for a Lead Sound Designer, Freelance Dialogue Sound Designer, Studio Audio Director, and R&D Audio Programmer. Happy job hunting!
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Immersive ambient soundscapes and satisfyingly interactive sound design are essential in bringing our expansive open world to life, and this role involves working on all aspects of sound design across the game. You will have a large degree of creative autonomy, but will also need to work closely with all other departments, as we view audio as an integral and critical part of the development process. With a focus on sound design, you will also have exposure to music and dialogue production. It is a hands-on role, and you will be creating and tuning large amounts of audio content and designing audio systems, as well as running the department.
You will be managing and mentoring other members of the audio team as the studio grows, and we welcome applicants with varying degrees of experience. As well as the creative side, you will also be involved in managing schedules, production pipelines, and external partners. Technically aware, you will also be responsible for the work of audio programmers in the team.
You will be joining the studio at an exciting time, as we scale up to develop an ambitious and groundbreaking open-world game. The role brings with it great scope for career growth and the satisfaction of making a significant personal contribution to a high-profile project.
We believe in iterative development, and you will need to be comfortable working in a fluid environment with competing demands. We also believe the best games are made by diverse teams, and we welcome and encourage applicants of all backgrounds.
• Deliver the wide range of high-quality sound effects required by the game
• Design audio systems that meet technical and production requirements as well as delivering great-sounding audio
• Work with game designers and senior leadership to understand the needs of the project, and with production to plan schedules
• Manage and mentor other sound designers and audio programmers, as the studio grows
• Work with external partners, especially regarding dialogue and music production
• Expert knowledge of a broad range of sound design principles, in a video game context
• Experience with sound recording, editing, and mixing
• Expert knowledge of a modern implementation tool such as Wwise
• Understanding of the technical limitations of video game audio, for example memory budgets and channel counts
• Strong communication skills, and comfortable managing and mentoring staff
• Video game sound design experience, including having shipped at least one PC/console title
This full-time role is based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Please send your covering letter, CV/resume, and showreel where available, here: email@example.com
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Who are we? It’s pretty simple, really. Io-Interactive is here to deliver exciting best-in-class gaming experiences. We want our games to play and feel like the people who created them – unique and creative. It is our way of making sure that we will always deliver something interesting. So we do a lot to foster a culture of brother- and sisterhood and we strive to be a collective of creative, productive people rather than a factory. You come to work at Io-Interactive because you want to create top-of-the-line games and because you want to be part of a company that isn’t afraid of doing things differently.
Because you will be spending a substantial amount of your day here, we do as much as we can to make IOI feel like a second home. We meet for optional breakfast every morning, have communal lunches and even dinner on those occasionally long days where we need to meet an important deadline.
On Fridays we sometimes have our Friday bar – either planned as a big thing where we run around in the building with laser guns or other fun like that – or just spontaneously started somewhere in the building. Every now and then we have IOI days where we can dig into our pet projects or attend presentations from colleagues or external experts on everything game related. It’s all about getting creative, influenced and inspired.
What is the job?
Io-Interactive is currently looking for a freelance Dialogue Sound Designer to join the Hitman project. As an integral part of the team, you will collaborate with the game director, producers and sound designers to execute the overall creative vision of the project. Ongoing responsibilities include: working closely with the writing team and sound designers in achieving the dialog direction set out by the directors and working with the designers in implementing dialog into the game.
You will be involved in aspects of the production from the initial design and technical considerations of dialog implementation to collaboration with cross discipline groups. Your goal is to set new standards for dialogue in games.
What are the responsibilities?
• Collaborate with key stakeholders in the execution of the overall vision of the game
• Responsible for the execution of the dialogue direction set out by the directors, delivering a AAA sound experience
• Create prototypes and dialogue intentions proving the dialogue direction and identifying needs
• Raise the dialogue final quality by defining the technical specification for the recordings to significantly improve players’ experience
• Provide valuable feedback when dialogue is requested in the early pipeline process, to ensure the quality of the script fits the finished result as experienced in game by the player
• Responsible for the dialogue experience, ensuring that it has a natural flow and is dramatically believable by supporting designers in the implementation into the game
• Deliver content on schedule and within technical specifications
• Work with writers and designers to ensure outstanding dialogue properly fitting the game design requirements
• Occasionally record temp VO and final VO in-house sessions with local actors when needed
What is required?
• Accomplished sound designer with experience working in the video games industry having produced work for at least one published title
• Excellent dialogue sound design skills both in regards to technical and creative solutions
• Professional recording experience – location and studio based
• Experience integrating and mixing audio for game projects
• Ability to mix audio to linear footage to commercial standards
• Good at working with direction both on your own and in a team
• Ability to look past immediate technical constraints and work solution oriented
• Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process
• Self-motivated towards solving creative problems and technical challenge
• Ability to keep to schedules and work well under pressure
• Analytically minded and organized
• A deep passion and enthusiasm for making and playing games, and a good understanding of the competitive landscape
• Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
It will be an advantage if you have:
• Work showcases (E. g. in published games, on personal website or on youtube)
• Experience working with one or more established game audio systems (FMOD, Wwise, Miles Sound System etc.)
• Experience recording editing and mixing dialogue
• Degree in sound/audio design
• Familiarity with and enthusiasm for Io-Interactive games
Company: EA Audioworks
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Audioworks is an award winning team creating audio content for titles within EA STUDIOS. Through uniting our creative talents and technical expertise, Audioworks is driving industry leading audio through partnership, professionalism, expertise, innovation and uncompromising quality.
EA’s Audioworks team has a full-time Studio Audio Director opportunity at our Tiburon location in Orlando, Florida. There are many exciting projects underway in our studios and we produce progressive audio content for in-game products from multiple studio locations.
Role and responsibilities
This role is dynamic and multi-faceted, working with core game team partners to craft an end to end audio vision for multiple projects. As a leader in the Audioworks team you are responsible for delivering a high quality and engaging audio experience.
• Minimum of ten years game audio or related industry (film) experience, in a leadership capacity
• Proven track record delivering high quality audio content for games and/or films
• Strong artistic and creative sensibilities
• Ability to communicate and execute vision, at all levels
• Expert knowledge of modern sound creation techniques, processing and standards
• Highly skilled in the areas of mixing and presentation in all formats
• Has broad expertise using game development tools, technology and pipelines
• Analytic thinker and problem solver in a collaborative environment
• An interest in AAA sports titles
Please note: While music is important to us, this position will not involve any composition work.
Location: Niigata, Japan
Are you ready for the adventure of your life? Move to Japan and let’s develop the future of creative tools together! As part of our R&D team, you will design smart tools and real-time systems that will be used by major Japanese and Western studios (game and movie) across their projects. You will also work on our own products such as GameSynth, DataSpace and their successors.
Basic skills required:
• Good level in C++ or C#
• Excellent knowledge of audio DSP algorithms (especially sound synthesis and analysis)
• Good organizational skills, resourceful and autonomous
• Working proficiency in English or Japanese
*Not* required but could be useful:
• VST / AU plug-in development
• Mac OS development
• Current game audio tools or sound engines
• Machine learning / neural networks
• Game console programming (Xbox One, PS4 etc…)
• Mobile platform programming (iOS, Android)
• Development with game middleware such as Unity or Unreal
• Salary and title based on skills and experience
• Annual bonus based on employee and company performance
• Health insurance and retirement plan
• 5-day working week, with 8-hour work per day (flexible schedule with core hours)
• National holidays and 2 weeks of paid holiday (increases with time in company)
• Commute paid by company
• If you are not currently in Japan: relocation help and sponsoring of your visa
This position is based in our office in Niigata, Japan. We are located in the center of the city (8-minute walk from the main train station). Niigata is famous for its awesome food and is about 1 hour and a half away from Tokyo in Shinkansen (this position may include one-day trips to Tokyo to visit clients).
Short-term contracts and internships are also available. Please send your resume and links to examples of your work (projects and/or papers) to: firstname.lastname@example.org