We came across 4 interesting jobs in Blizzard’s Overwatch team, Respawn’s Titanfall team, PlayStation San Diego, and Facebook – and they’re looking for Sound Designers and a Music Editor/Integrator. We also found a Sound Designer opening in Blizzard’s World of Warcraft team, too.
Bonus: There’s an opening for a Senior Sound Designer at Sony Playstation London here too. Happy job hunting!
Company: Blizzard – Overwatch
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch team is looking for a talented Sound Designer to help bring new, epic content, to life. We seek a Sound Designer capable of creating iconic sound and gameplay cues while bringing innovative ideas and techniques to the franchise. We want someone who loves games, game audio, and really knows the FPS space, especially Overwatch.
Ideal candidate should have previous game team experience, a demonstrable artistic “voice”, and understand how vital sound is to gameplay. Candidate should have skill creating and implementing weapons, abilities, and environmental audio that exude character. Proficiency with a variety of software and hardware audio tools is also required.
The Sound Designer will work closely with all game team disciplines and supervisor to deliver immersive and informative sound to our players. Candidate should be comfortable with face to face collaboration, able to respond to direction, and make audio experiences that meld story and personality seamlessly with game-play.
• Committed to excellence
• Passionate about games and game audio
• Previous game team sound design and implementation experience
• Proven track record of creating excellent original content
• Technically competent with tools, processes, and sound theory
• Capable of troubleshooting problems within audio and game tools
• Highly motivated and able to work successfully with minimal direction when needed
• Able to quickly improve or learn new skills
• Ability to take direction and work cooperatively with other disciplines
• Experience editing and mixing sound-to-picture
• Experience authoring sound for surround formats
• Experience working with both commercial and proprietary audio, and implementation tools on multiple platforms and workstations
• Development experience with first person shooters
• Experience using Audio Kinetic’s Wwise
• Background in music production (music composition is not within the scope of this job)
• Computer-readable or level-design style scripting or light programming knowledge
• Console game implementation
• Fluent in Blizzard games and lore
Required Application Materials:
• Cover Letter
• Applicants must submit online demo reel showing relevant experience.
Company: Respawn – Titanfall 2
Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Music Editor/Integrator who will embrace our culture and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players. This individual will assist our Audio Director, Composer, and Narrative Lead with editing and implementing music assets into the game. We’re picturing someone with previous game development experience in a music editing/integration role. If this sounds like you, we look forward to seeing your resume!
This role is a temporary position with potential for future full time consideration.
What you’ll do…
• Interface with Audio, Design and Animation to determine music needs for the game.
• Find and edit composed pieces for temporary placement into the game as a guide.
• Work closely with Audio Director and Composer to edit and integrate music into the game.
• Coordinate the execution and delivery of music assets from composer.
• Track and update progress of assets using a spreadsheet.
• Assist with score preparation and attend studio recording sessions.
• Create new pieces of music through the process of editing stems of existing score.
• Integrate music assets into our dynamic music system and game engine.
• Work with game designers on placement of music cues and transitions.
• Attend feedback sessions with the composer, Audio Director and Narrative • Lead to review the effectiveness of the integrated score.
• Troubleshoot and help fix audio bugs.
• Adhere to audio schedule and deliver assets on time.
Ideally, you will have…
• 3+ years’ experience in a music editing/integration role for video games.
• Significant experience with dynamic music systems and tools, such as Wwise.
• Strong, demonstrable audio/music editing skills.
• Music composition skills a plus.
• Recent console game audio experience a must.
• Mastery of major audio software packages such as ProTools, Nuendo and Sound Forge.
• Experience with data tracking software and spreadsheets, such as Excel or Google Sheets.
• Detail-oriented and organized, able to track hundreds of assets throughout the project.
• Excellent communication skills.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude.
• Passion for audio.
• Passion for games.
Respawn Entertainment is an independent game development studio that was founded in 2010 by former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises. We have since shipped Titanfall and Titanfall 2 to critical acclaim, and are currently hiring for our Star Wars ™, Titanfall, and Unannounced VR game development teams. Our motto is gameplay first, and the opportunity to create groundbreaking AAA games with some of the best developer talent in the industry awaits our future team members.
Company: PlayStation San Diego
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Interested in working with AAA studios such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio (God of War Franchise), Japan Studios, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and more? We are looking for a rock star Sound Designer to join the PD Sound Team to craft high quality audio content for 1st party product development projects. Working with a dynamic group of colleagues, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most respected developers in the industry on AAA award winning projects.
You will bring passion to the role of Sound Designer, collaborating with sound and dev teams, creating sonically rich content that pushes the quality bar. Your primary focus will be on sound design and implementation. Dialog, Foley, and field recording experience a plus.
The successful candidate will have a creative vision, excellent communication and organizational skills. This position is for a 7-month temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh Services.
• Designing immersive and rich sound effects to engage players and drive the narrative
• Implementation of sound design using middleware and scripting tools to bring the soundscape to life
• Sound Design and Mixing of Cinematics in multiple formats and specs
• Collaborating with PD Sound lead to deliver an cohesive and compelling audio experience
• At least 2 years’ experience in game audio
• Use of professional audio production techniques and editing tools such ProTools, SoundForge, Bias Peak, Waves Plugins, sequencers
• Imaginative use of audio production tools, Foley performance and capture, props, recording techniques, etc. to create high quality original content
• Experience with scripting game sounds using commercially available sound middleware and/or internal/proprietary game development tools such as Sony’s Scream, Wwise, Fmod, Maya, Unreal Engine, etc.
• Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc.
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines while maintaining professional respect and courtesy to our dev teams and team members
• Knowledge or familiarity of scripting languages such as LUA, Python, etc.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Location: Menlo Park, CA, US
We are looking for an experienced sound designer and implementation expert to join our sound team at Facebook. Candidates must have a passion for sound, and a demonstrated history of innovative sound design. The role combines functional sound design thinking and execution with the drive to break new ground. Candidates must have the ability to collaborate closely with other team members and product teams, so very strong communication skills are required. Experience shipping world-class products with unique, functional and emotive sound is also required. Strong technical skills are a must.
• Design and implement custom sound for various products and initiatives
• Collaborate closely with existing team members to create unique sonic experiences using sound and music
• Drive projects from inception to completion with little oversight
• Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment and collaborate with teams in other offices
• 10+ years of professional sound design and sound implementation experience
• Experience with game engines and audio middleware (e.g. Unity, Unreal, Wwise, FMOD, or similar proprietary systems)
• Experience in sound and music production and demonstrated ability to ship high-quality products
• Experience with studio and field recording
• Sound design portfolio
• Communication skills and attention to detail
• Organizational and analytical skills
• Strong grasp of music theory
• Experience developing positional audio for VR
• Additional coding experience
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.