We came across 4 interesting jobs at Meow Wolf, Hexany Audio, Soundcuts, and Crystal Dynamics – and they’re looking for a Sound Team Director, Composer’s Assistant (Contract), and Audio Designers. We also spotted a Junior Sound Design Position at TT Games (thanks, Alex Jones!) here
Happy job hunting!
Company: Meow Wolf
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Meow Wolf is looking for a Sound Team Director who will be responsible for overseeing the management and execution of sound related projects. The Sound Team interfaces with all of the various teams within the Meow Wolf organization (Art, Fabrication, Tech, Entertainment, and Architectural Design) to create immersive audio experiences across the broad spectrum of Meow Wolf endeavors. This role requires strong managerial and administrative skills, creative problem solving and sensitivity to engage a nuanced creative process and culture.
The Sound Team Director will work closely with the Sound Creative Lead, Sound Tech Lead, and the Sound Team Project Managers to plan, budget, and execute immersive audio environments for Meow Wolf projects. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience managing interactive audio teams. Strong communication and time management skills, creative problem solving, a sense of humor, and a drive to create innovative sound experiences are also musts.
The Sound Team Director must be a strong leader and also sensitive to nuances of a highly collaborative environment. To be successful in this role, being able to trust, respect, inspire, and be compassionate with team members is vital. The role is primarily administration and team management, but is also highly creative in helping to form strategies and approaches to sound design projects.
• Quality Focus
• Radical Inclusiveness
• Knowledge and Skills
• Team Focus
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Create project plans with Sound Team leads and PMs
• Connect artists with sound team members to ensure a high-quality, executable result
• Learn about organization-wide skills and goals, and identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration
• Facilitate communication within Sound Team and with the rest of the organization
• Work with Sound PMs and PM team to create and review project timelines, tasks, and milestones
• Help cultivate a healthy workplace that inspires personal and team growth
• Create hiring strategy with Sound Team leads
• Encourage and facilitate Sound Team member skill development
• Maintain rapport and clear expectations with Sound Team members
• Manage time off requests and tracking
Budgeting and Resource Management:
• Manage team budget creation and approval
• Oversee expense logging and tracking budget to actual
• Oversee inventory management
• Oversee purchasing
• Monitor and control labor costs for Sound Team projects
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel is expected for this position through 2018. Extended travel is expected through 2019.
Required Education and Experience:
• Professional experience working with sound in a creative or technical capacity
• 2+ years as an Audio Director or similar department management role
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Experience in music business
• Experience with music performance
• Understanding of music theory and sound design techniques
• Familiarity with the tools used in interactive and linear sound creation (DAWs, audio patching environments, etc.)
• Understanding of a broad range of musical genres and music history
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Company: Hexany Audio
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hexany Audio is a Los Angeles based game audio production studio founded in early 2012. We specialize in sound design, original music, and dialogue production for games, interactive media, and VR (virtual reality). We’re currently looking for a new Audio Designer to join our team full-time on-site at our studio in Los Angeles. This is a full-time salaried position in-house. Contractors and remote applicants need not apply. Also note this is NOT a music composition position.
As an Audio Designer at Hexany, your role will be highly creative and collaborative. Though the focus will be designing sounds and creating content, you will likely handle additional tasks such as mixing/engineering, recording, Wwise implementation, as well as interfacing with clients.
• Designing awesome sounds for all types of games/VR experiences
• Recording, editing, and processing dialogue
• Mixing in stereo and surround formats
• Field recording source material
• A passion for video games
• Experience working with Pro Tools for sound design and mixing
• Experience working with audio middlware, in particular Wwise
• Awesome technical chops on both Mac and PC
• Extreme attention to detail and great organizational skills
• A team-player mentality and the ability to take direction and constructive criticism from project leads
• Experience with voice direction
• Experience scripting with Unity + Unreal
• Avid mini-golfer
Required Application Materials:
1a. Cover Letter, which should include:
• Why you’re interested in working at Hexany
• What games you’ve been playing recently
1b. Demo Reel: (include a link (or links) in your cover letter):
• At least three examples of sound design to picture
• Cover letter & resume should be submitted as a single, multi-page PDF document titled Last_First_17AD_Application.pdf. (e.g. Murch_Walter_17AD_Application.pdf)
For inquires, salary information, or to submit an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include 17AD in the subject. Or use the Apply Now button below.
Location: United Kingdom
THIS POSITION HAS NOW BEEN FILLED
Soundcuts is seeking a Composer’s Assistant. This is a contract junior role and an ideal first job for a graduate. Applicants must be able to work remotely and be based in the UK. Contract lasts from February 2018 to July 2018.
• Logging music data
• Filling in Q sheets
• Temp tracklaying
• Music library searching
• Exporting data
• Working with full-time composer
• Must be able to work from home/home studio
• Must be detail-oriented and have good communication skills
• Must show compositional experience
• Candidate will be working in Pro Tools.
• Our music is an eclectic mix with a focus on pop/dub-step and hip hop – experience composing in these styles is a plus.
• Experience with sound design would be useful.
If you’d like to apply, please send your C.V. and links to your work to info (dot) soundcuts (at) gmail (dot) com.
Company: Crystal Dynamics
Location: Redwood City, CA, USA
The Audio Designer will integrate audio assets into the game including sound effects, music, and voice overs. This position will leverage their technical and audio expertise in order to assemble and trigger audio assets in a way that delivers a cohesive audioscape in support of the creative goals of the experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Focus on audio implementation for levels and animations.
• Implement, synchronize and tune animation based sound effects in a wide variety of characters, creatures, objects and vehicles.
• Implement and tune physics and particle based sound events.
• Script interactive music and ambience throughout the game environment.
• Work with designers, artists, and producers to identify audio needs
• Work with creative directors and Sr. Sound Designer to create work that adheres to a project’s audio style and standards
• Help improve internal tools, process and communication.
• Work independently to complete assigned projects on-time with limited supervision
• Work with external sound designers as necessary
• 2+ years industry or related experience with audio (ex. sound design, music).
• Knowledge in video games and/or cutting edge media and entertainment.
• Understanding of current console generation and PC audio functionality, capabilities, and limitations
• A good ear and a passion for quality audio.
• Demonstrate understanding of audio processes and techniques with a proven ability to establish or work within a given style
• Strong command of sound design & mixing with a variety of techniques, processes and tools – able to competently produce any kind of audio required for a given task
• The ability to work with a wide variety of ever changing and evolving tools and responsibilities.
• A strong interest in creative and procedural experimentation.
• Previous experience with scripting and the technical ins and outs of audio integration.
• Proficient in using game development tools, technology and pipelines(Wwise, FMOD)
• Comfortable with modern audio creation equipment, software and recording techniques, with a level of proficiency in at least one DAW
• Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
• Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to collaborate as a team member working towards common goals
• Strong artistic and creative sensibilities