We came across 4 interesting jobs at Nintendo America, Blackbird Interactive, Bohemia Interactive, and Pocket Gems – and they’re looking for lots of sound designers. Happy job hunting!
Company: Nintendo America
Location: Redmond, WA, USA
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, based in Redmond, Washington, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the world’s largest manufacturer and marketer of video games, Nintendo Co., Ltd., headquartered in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo Software Technology’s mission is to design, develop and deliver the very best video games. We conduct research, use state-of-the-art equipment and review methods of operation so that we may continually improve the quality of the games that we produce. Each person employed at Nintendo Software Technology Corporation is a valued team member and is encouraged to participate in our efforts to create the highest quality games.
** This is a CONTRACT position
• Create sound effects and music under the direction of the Senior Audio Designer.
• Experience on composing interactive music and designing audio.
• Proficient with Unity, Logic and Reason.
Company: Blackbird Interactive
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a creative and talented audio designer to join our team. We are deeply passionate about audio, in every way. From sound effects, to speech, to music, we love how such a small piece of the overall work can have such a huge impact on the ability for our games to stir your soul.
The role we are seeking to fill is a lead position on a small team working on an immersive first-person sci-fi game. This person will work with the BBI audio director and project design lead to set the creative vision for the game, and then be responsible for all audio production work on the project, from sound design through to implementation.
Blackbird and its team of industry veterans are creating the first original Homeworld game in more than a decade. Building on the gameplay and technology they started developing long ago on HARDWARE: Shipbreakers, they are now working in collaboration with Gearbox software to create Homeworld: Shipbreakers, a thrilling prequel to the Homeworld saga.
• Sound design and implementation of project assets
• Work with a small team to realize the audio vision of the game
• Submitting final audio files on or before required deadlines
• Working with audio director
• Tuning of interactive elements in regards to audio (such as XML files)
• Quality control review for the projects audio (pre-CQC) on all applicable platforms
• Inspire and support team members, accept personal responsibility for the project deliverables
• Monitor deliverable progress, manage assigned scope and requested changes, meet commitments, follow up and be on time
• At least two shipped products
• Strong sound design and Unity implementation skills
• Experience handling speech “end to end” on a video game project, including everything from ensuring all writing is taking place, working with a database to track files, recording & editing in English, plus working with external localization parties on submitting content for translation and dealing with recorded assets in other languages
• Experience using Wwise
• Completely comfortable with modern audio gear, software, and recording techniques, with a high level of proficiency in at least one DAW
• Solid knowledge of PC and Mac hardware and software
• Strong communication skills
• Good creative and technical thinker
• Works well as part of a team
• Available for full time & on-site work in Vancouver, BC
• 5+ years of proven gameplay development; multiple shipped products, preferably FPS/TPS
• Interest in science fiction settings and stories
• Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
• Unity 3D: Knowledge of asset management and basic architecture for importing user created content; speech, sound effects, music.
• Competitive salary
• Vacation and sick day allowances
• Certain applicants may be eligible for Health and Dental, and/or stock options
• Other studio programs related to maintaining the health and well being of our staff
Applications must include a cover letter and resume.
Company: Bohemia Interactive
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Bohemia Interactive a.s., independent developer of video games, seeks for a Sound Designer to join the production team in the company’s Prague office.
The Sound Designer is responsible for all audio aspects of the project experience. As one of the contributing members of the team, the Sound Designer works closely with other disciplines to assure that the audio compliments and enhances the experience of the game-play.
This position creates audio content for the title that complement and enhance the player experience. The Sound Designer composes, records, and synchronizes sound effects to amplify the effect of animations and in-game events
• 2+ years of experience creating sound for games and/or multimedia
• Advanced understanding of game audio implementation methods (Wwise, FMOD, etc.)
• Advanced knowledge of/skills in the areas of recording, mixing, and optimizing audio for effect and environment
• Proficiency with modern computer-based audio production tools such as Steinberg Cubase, iZotope RX, Sound Forge, etc.
• Excellent work morale, dedication to create strong ambiance and audio effects that compliment the game universe
• Good spoken and written English
• Willing to work in Prague, Czech Republic, for at least 2 years
• Technical education
• Previous knowledge of software versioning and revision control systems (SVN)
• An understanding of traditional studio engineering, audio post production, and location recording techniques
• Self-Motivating, passionate about audio realism
• Experience with other programming or scripting languages
• Opportunity to work on a popular game franchise in a stable company
• Possibility to directly influence the final product
• Possibilities for skill-development and personal growth
• Flexible working hours
• Competitive salary & benefits
Company: Pocket Gems
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
As our Sound Designer, you will be a part of the first generation that brings AAA quality work to mobile gaming. Please note, this is a temporary position.
• Direct the audioscape of an exciting new mobile core title, integrating sound into both battle and our game menus
• Work with a team of veteran engineers in developing audio technology and dynamic playback systems for our proprietary engine, which will affect many games to come.
• Define and document an audio pipeline, and teach a team how to work with it
• Source and mix the audio assets used in our game, and work with engineers to ensure they are optimized for technical performance
• Edit, process, and mix BGM and VO
• At least 2+ years working in gaming
• At least one shipped title as a Sound Designer
• Portfolio demonstrating strong sound design skills
• Knowledge of best audio practices in RTS games, and strong communication and technical proficiency to guide engineers in implementing them
• Ability to edit, source (or create), and mix sound effects using professional tools
• Ability to create dynamic SFX to match game design and UI needs for mobile
• Ability to provide original compositions, scores, and stings for a variety of themes
• Ability to manage and direct audio outsourcing pipeline
• An avid gamer across multiple platforms
• Ability to evaluate competitive products and learn from their audio solutions
• Mobile experience is a plus