We came across 4 interesting jobs at Raven, Rare, Force Field VR, and Skydance – and they’re looking for Sound Designers, an Audio Manager, and an Audio Intern. We also found a position for a Sr. Audio Designer at Raven. Happy job hunting!
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Raven Software, developer of numerous award-winning games, including contributions to the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise [Modern Warfare Remaster, Infinite Warfare, Black Ops, Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty: Online, Ghosts, Modern Warfare] is looking for a talented and passionate Audio Designer to join our world-class Audio team as we continue to develop the best games in the industry.
This is an Mid level position for a sound design generalist who is comfortable shifting gears to whatever task needs immediate attention. The perfect candidate will have a strong sense of design aesthetic and understanding of how implementation compliments design and be able to apply that successfully in service to gameplay. Candidates must also possess enthusiasm for learning with strong self-management skills. Successful interaction with disciplines outside of audio (animators, designers, programmers) is also a key component to any applicant’s success.
• Collaborates with audio and other teams to create and implement sound assets that match aesthetic and technical specifications
• Integrate sounds with level editor, animation editor and scripting
• Interactive and linear sound effects design, music editing, dialogue editing and processing, mixing
• Troubleshoots audio issues, optimizes to meet memory budget and performance requirements across multiple platforms
• Collaborates with audio programmers to improve existing tech and develop new features
• Collaborates with relevant parties to design and build dynamic playback systems that link to existing in-game systems
• Contributes to audio technology documentation/wiki
• Works with Audio Director and teammates to manage the final mix of the game
• Portfolio demonstrating strong sound design for realistic settings (see below)
• Excellent understanding of implementation techniques, proven through work on previous titles with proprietary tools or middleware (Wwise, FMOD, Unreal)
• Ability to edit music, voice and sounds for integration into dynamic playback systems
• Experienced with a level creation/editing tool (Hammer, Radiant, UnrealEd)
• Comfortable scripting in a C-like programming language
• Mastery of chosen audio tools (Pro Tools, Reaper, Sound Forge, etc)
• Minimum two shipped titles and 4 years minimum in a game audio role
• Passionate about the FPS genre
• Exceptional organization skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• C/C++ programming experience
• Multiplayer FPS experience
• Passion for FPS gaming
• Field Recording
What We Want to See in Your Reel:
• 3-5 minute video file with footage from games on which you’ve worked
• A cue sheet or superimposed text explaining your contributions to the footage
• A diverse selection of footage including various types of work
• No music, this is not a music role
Located in Madison, Wisconsin, Raven Software offers an upscale work environment with state-of-the-art workstations, competitive compensation, a fun, collaborative environment, affordable living and an exceptional quality of life.
Location: Twycross, UK
This role requires an audio specialist to translate the design vision and implement into specific audio systems and content, which conform to technical limitations where pertinent. The successful candidate will oversee implementation of systems and content into the product and be accountable to the wider game and audio direction. You will need a high level of initiative, passion, resilience and good organisational skills to assist with the product vision.
You will take responsibility for:
• Creating audio assets that express the emotional gestalt of a scene through the relations and connections of the various audio, visual and gameplay elements.
• Applying in-depth knowledge of the spectrum of viable sound design techniques to develop prototypes for a game area or section, resulting in highly believable and immersive effects for key game areas.
• Implementing music cues, which result in assets that function well technically and musically within the game.
• Overseeing the entire voiceover (VO) production pipeline for a game, including production strategy, script management, casting, recording, editing, and implementation, resulting in high-quality game VO to be completed within the game’s budget and schedule.
• Working with the Audio, Design and Art Directors to translate overall concept audio into prototypes for specific classes of audio assets, resulting in clear communication of aural style to the Audio production team.
• Applying in-depth knowledge of audio asset preparation, implementation and in-game mixing to improve the production pipeline and to produce run-time audio that maximises audio quality while functioning within the processor/memory budget.
• Assessing the audio asset requirements of a game and mapping a strategy for acquiring and cataloguing the needed source, resulting in an organised and appropriate set of audio assets.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Expertise in audio asset preparation and in-game mixing to improve the production pipeline.
• Expertise in audio asset creation software such as Pro-Tools, Audition and Reaper as well as Wwise and Perforce.
• Initiative to produce run-time audio that maximises audio quality while functioning within the processor/memory budget.
• Initiative in partnering with Test to develop a test plan and establish bug triage criteria for an entire game area.
• Experience of at least one full game development lifecycle across a high-end platform.
• Ability to clearly define and communicate parameters for the iterative process to the Design team.
• Ability to work in a team environment and with varied personalities.
• Proactive nature.
• Product/customer focus in decision-making.
• Must be degree-level educated or have equivalent vocational experience.
Rare: we’re not your typical developer. Over 30 years in the game-making business, every moment has been dedicated to kicking out one beloved title after another. We’ve tried all manner of new things in that time, but if there’s one thing we’ve truly come to believe, it’s the importance of having fun every single day and infusing it into everything we create. That’s the core of who we are – check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence. We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you’re a keen gamer, chances are you’ve already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, revealed at E3 2015 and currently in Technical Alpha phase with players from our Insider Programme. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there’s never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Company: Force Field VR
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Force Field is looking for an Audio Manager to lead the audio production of all Virtual Reality projects in the studio, both internally and with outsourcing partners. He/she will be responsible for ensuring that the sound effects and music of our games and experiences are among the best in the VR and video games markets.
• Test and selection of outsourcing partners, as well as communication and supervision during the outsourcing process
• Shaping, communicating and guarding the audio direction for the games and projects
• Reviewing audio deliverables, ensuring the overall creative vision, aural quality, and technical requirements
• Hands-on audio design, engineering and integration, when required
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Extensive experience as an audio designer and engineer for video games
• Experience with management of external production of sound effects, music, and voice recording
• Technical audio skills and a solid understanding of game development pipelines
• Established communication, people, presentation, organizational and documentation skills
Bonus Skills and Experience:
• Experience with development on multiple platforms, with VR as an added bonus
• A network of possible audio outsourcing partners
• Good knowledge of Unreal Engine 4
• A creative who strives to have a real impact on the quality of our games and experiences
• High level of initiative and a strong sense of ownership and urgency
• Ability to work unsupervised and maintain focus and commitment
• Working in an international creative and quality driven environment with enthusiastic colleagues
• A great spot to learn and share knowledge
• Benefits according to experience and job
• Studio location in the heart of Amsterdam
• A healthy work-life balance
Company: Skydance Interactive
Location: Marina del Rey, CA, USA
Skydance Interactive is looking for a rockstar Audio Intern to help bring the The Walking Dead to the VR Realm . You’ll get to work closely with our Sr. Audio Director, make important contributions, gain valuable hands-on experience and most importantly, ship a game that you can be proud of! Our ideal candidate has a passion for videogames.
• Dialogue recording
• Dialogue editing/implementation
• Participates in the conception of pre-production prototypes
• Reports to the Sr. Audio Director
• Understanding of audio hardware
• Knowledge of modern studio equipment and techniques
• Proficient with field recording gear and techniques.
• Knowledge of game audio techniques and audio production fundamentals
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written
• Good interpersonal skills; must be able to interact well with team and other departments
• Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Good organizational and time management skills
• Ability to exercise independent judgment as required
• Desire to work in the videogame industry
• Adapts well to change