We came across interesting new jobs at Frictional Games, Virtuos Ltd., iZotope, and Outfit7 – and they’re looking for an Audio Lead, Junior Sound Designer, Sound Designer, and Senior Sound Effects Artist.
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a UX Lead and Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap, Sound Designer at Amazon, Lead Audio Operator at ESPN, Sound Designer at Microsoft UK, Sound Editor at Halo Post Production, Contract Sound Designer at MachineGames, and Sound Designer at Ubisoft Massive Entertainment. Happy job hunting!
Company: Frictional Games
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Title: Audio Lead / Sound Designer
Focus: Creating and implementing sounds, managing audio content
Type: Full-time, permanent
Last day to apply: Monday 15th of April 2019
You remember it: a faint rustle in your periphery, dragging footsteps around the corner, a raspy breath. You still break in cold sweat when you hear that high-pitched screech that means a monster is near. All the iconic soundscapes that make Frictional games what they are. We are now looking for an experienced audio designer to work in-house and continue this tradition of keeping a new generation of gamers on their toes with lovingly designed, eerie and memorable soundscapes.
What will you work on?
We are quite a small team, but we consider that our selling point. As a sound designer you will get to work on everything from small effects to the overall mood of the project. This means your contribution will greatly influence how the final game sounds, feels and evokes emotions.
Here are some of the things you will be working on:
- Collaborating with designers to create soundscapes, taking both artistic and gameplay aspects into account.
- Being a part of designing the overall mood of the game.
- Creating some of sounds used for our monsters, machines and other otherworldly noises using libraries, or from scratch if possible.
- Creating sound effects timed with specific events and animations.
- Refining events by working with both our map editor and scripting tools.
- Researching various technical features needed to achieve certain effects.
- Handling the music, either by creating it or working with a musician.
- All in all, helping the game world come to life.
We also encourage working outside of your area of expertise, and always learning new things. The more areas of development you are willing and able to take part in, the better! For example you are encouraged to participate in our fortnightly testing and leave feedback on other aspects of the game.
What are we looking for?
- You have to be a European (EU/EEA) resident to apply.
- The person we’re looking for is creative, driven and self-sufficient. With a remote team such as ours, the ability to organise your own work is a fundamental skill.
- We have recently set up a central hub in Malmö, Sweden, and will help you move to our seaside city if it suits your situation.
Here are some essentials we require:
- Hardware and equipment to work with.
- We don’t expect you to have a fully equipped home studio, but enough to work on most of the sounds. Additional equipment can be provided if needed, but it is important that you have the hardware needed to start working.
- At least one year of experience in audio production for games.
- Good understanding of sound and music, and how they affect the player experience.
- Ability to challenge yourself, make bold creative decisions, and try non-conventional things.
- A critical approach to your work, with the ability to take a step back and reflect.
- A strive for structure, efficiency, and clarity.
- Strong self-drive and ability to organise your own work.
- Interest in and ability to do research for interesting sound and music solutions.
- Love for working on a variety of tasks.
- Fluency in English.
And here are some more techie skills:
- Familiarity with FMod or Wwise.
- Basic knowledge in programming.
- Basic knowledge of creating maps in a level editor.
If you want to impress us:
- Love for horror, sci-fi, and narrative games.
- A major role in completing at least one game.
- Experience in level design.
- Strong game design skills.
What do we offer?
We make games, because that’s what we love. But we know there are other things we love, like playing games, taking part in sports, or spending time with our families. We believe a healthy balance between work and life reflects positively on your work, which is why we don’t encourage crunch.
We also offer:
- Flexible working hours.
- Opportunities to influence your workflow.
- Variety in your work tasks, and ability to influence your workload.
- Participation in our internal game Show & Tell sessions, so you’ll have input into all aspects of the game.
- Social security and holidays that are up to the Swedish standards.
- An inclusive and respectful work environment.
- An office in central Malmö you can use as much as you please.
- Fun workmates, game and movie nights, and other outings!
If all of the above piqued your interest, we would love to hear from you! Send us your application 15th of April the latest – but the sooner, the better!
Please attach your:
- Cover Letter
- Why should we hire YOU?
- Link to your portfolio site
- Link to a video reel demonstrating sound design abilities
- A document describing a game soundscape you have worked on. Please write about the following:
- What you worked on.
- What you were going for with the design.
- What went well in the project and what you would prefer to change in retrospect.
Please note that we require all the attachments to consider you.
Send your application to apply (at) frictionalgames (dot) com!
Company: Virtuos Ltd.
Location: Shanghai, China
* Provide design solutions for the project, including audio technology solutions and schedules
* Sample recording and creation according to project requirements
* Optimized audio data post processing according to project requirements
* Collaborate with other members of the project to integrate and adjust audio data to *** performance status
* Conceptualize, schedule, design, and produce high quality audio assets in accordance with the requirement of the projects.
* Record and create the audio sample according to the requirement of the projects
* Optimize the audio post-production to meet the requirement of the projects
* Work with team members to integrate and adjust the audio assets
* Acoustics and audio production knowledge
Interested in and passionate about game development
* Understand and be proficient in professional audio software such as Sony Sound Forge, Avid ProTools.
* Good at communication, strong teamwork and collaboration skills
* Have good English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills are preferred
* More than 1 year experience in game sound design
* Experience in game audio design development is preferred
* Professional quality audio production and all related acoustics technologies
* Passionate about game development
* Mastered the audio software, e.g. Sony Sound Forge, Avid ProTools
* Team player, Good communication skill
* 1 year sound design experience in game industry preferred
* Good English ability preferred
Founded in 2004, Virtuos is the world’s leading game content production company with studios in Singapore, China, Vietnam, Canada, France, Japan, Ireland and the United States. With more than 1,600 full-time game production experts, Virtuos specializes in the development of console games and mobile games and 3D art production, helping customers to generate more revenue and achieve efficient operations. For more than a decade, Virtuos has successfully delivered more than 1,300 high-quality projects and has partnered with 18 of the top 20 digital entertainment companies worldwide.
World-class top digital entertainment starts here!
Ten reasons to join Virtuos:
1. Become part of the world’s largest game and film production
2. Every year you can add a bunch of well-known games to your portfolio.
3. Join an international elite team
4. Develop your expertise on the latest platforms and with the most advanced technology
5. Partner with the world’s leading game developers
6. Join a high-speed and stable company
7. Improve your skills in training and development
8. Competitive salary and social welfare
9. Exciting staff activities, group trips and clubs
10. Become a top digital industry talent
Virtuos’ goal is to become NO.1 among game development partners by providing *** quality game and art content to game developers and publishers around the world. As a game creator, Virtuos firmly believes that we are not only making profits or manufacturing products, but constantly improving and innovating. We work together to create a miracle in a fun and joyful environment. We carefully discuss and research each project, carefully craft each piece of work, and insist on giving back to the customer perfectly. We only create real works of art.
In order to maintain the production of high-quality water and constantly create works that make people happy, we need a lot of passionate game talents and constantly inspire their potential. Virtuos believes that our values and tailored training and welfare systems are the core pillars of employee engagement.
In order to create great work, our team needs to master a lot of professional skills. At Virtuos, we have a comprehensive and complete training system to help our employees master these skills. We invite industry experts inside or outside the company to share experiences and teach relevant knowledge. These trainings cover art skills training (such as Zbrush Basic or Advanced Techniques/Marvelous Designer), game development skills training (such as C#/Level/Handsoft/Prototyping), project management training (such as Time Management/Agile/PMP), and other soft features. Skills training (such as language training and leadership training). Of course, at the end of each training, we will award a training certificate for the employees who have completed the training.
Giving recognition and encouragement is the best way to manage. In order to enhance the sense of ownership of the employees, Virtuos established an internal forum for employees to express their thoughts. Some of the constructive constructs that can be implemented are often adopted to continually promote the company’s development.
In addition, Virtuos regularly organizes group trips and team building. With regard to team building, we will give employees several options and then determine the destination and team building projects based on the results of employee feedback. In the process, our employees have the opportunity to participate in the entire program development, but also to consider the recommendations of the staff. Virtuos always cares about all employees.
Virtuos’ goal is to be the world’s number one game content production company and game partner, with so many talented and dedicated employees, and believe that this goal will be achieved in the near future.
If you are interested in our position, you can send your resume directly to hr (at) virtuos (dot) com (dot) cn
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
iZotope is looking for a talented, inspired Sound Designer to help us create innovative and compelling products that inspire and enable our customers to be creative.
You will work closely with the product development, product management, and UX / UI teams to craft the vision and sound design goals for all of our products.
- Collaborate closely with other Sound Designers and Product Management to execute and translate existing product visions and sound design goals into product content deliverables
- Work with the Research team to provide necessary qualitative sonic feedback during DSP algorithm development
- Imaginative use of audio production tools and sound design techniques to curate and refine existing libraries and where necessary, create high quality original content as it applies to each product release
- Contribute to our comprehensive and ever-evolving sound testing library of relevant content to use in testing DSP algorithms
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
CRASH, BA-DOOM, GLUG, ZAP and WHAP! You’ve heard it all before. But if you’re all ears to create, manage, mix and implement audio assets for the coolest games ever, Outfit7’s art, game design, and product teams await your talents to orchestrate a worldwide BANG!
- Ensure that Outfit7 Group’s audio output and games are up to the company’s usual high aesthetic standards.
- Create, record, edit, mix, and implement sound effects, voice, and music.
- Handle and organize all audio assets.
- Research and investigate new technologies and workflow optimisations.
- Work efficiently as part of the team in a multilingual environment.
- Work closely with the company’s internal game design, art, and programming teams.
- Demonstrate a high level of creativity, originality, and self-organization, while also being comfortable adapting to a wide range of styles.
- Able to balance being the holder of a vision while also supporting and seeking consensus from a talented team of artists and game makers.
- An understanding of bleeding edge audio techniques.
- Excellent self-organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Positive, make-it-happen, lead-by-example attitude.
- Good sense for production and optimization of workflows, as well as experience in managing large sets of assets.
- 5+ years experience in game development and at least 3 shipped titles as an audio engineer (any title).
- Strong technical background.
- Familiarity with game audio libraries (FMOD, WWISE or other) and engines.
- Experience using Unity Editor or similar game engine, as well as any industry standard DAW, audio tools, and plugins.
- Experience in mixing and cutting music in to complex musical arrangements.
- Experience doing castings, voice directing, voice recording, editing and syncing to animation.
- Experience recording foley and other SFX and designing them to unique sounds.
- Nice to have: music composing experience.
What we offer:
- Employment relationship with Ekipa2 d.o.o.(a subsidiary of Outfit7) for an indefinite period of time, with a six-month probationary period.
- Diverse work with exciting daily challenges, working as part of a young team in a fun, relaxed environment.
- The opportunity for personal and professional development.
- Participation in attractive projects.