We came across interesting new jobs at Eleventh Hour Games, The Chinese Room, Deep Silver Volition, and Sledgehammer Games – and they’re looking for a Sound Designer (Remote), Senior Sound Designer (England), Audio Designer (IL, US), and Sound Designer (VIC, Australia).
We also found openings for a Sound Effect Artist at Outfit7 (Spain), Producer (Voice Games) at Volley (CA, US), Product Manager (Voice) at Volley (CA, US), Senior Sound Designer at Hi-Rez Studios (GA, US), Sound Technical Lead at Gameloft Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), Sound Producer at Blizzard (CA, US), Audio Programmer at Media Molecule (England), and Senior Sound Designer at Survios (CA, US).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs Facebook and LinkedIn groups also have opportunities for a Head of Sound at News UK (England), Audio Producer at Creative Outpost (England), Lead Audio Editor at Deluxe (CA, US), and Junior Audio Editor at Deluxe (CA, US), and 4 opportunities that are still available: Senior Sound Designer at Firesprite (England), Senior Technical Sound Designer at Firesprite (England), Senior Audio Programmer at Firesprite (England), Audio Director at Firesprite (England). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week:
• Behind the sound of Amazon Prime Video’s The Wheel of Time — a fantasy series filled with magic, creatures, evocative locations, and mystic lore
• Dialogue Editing and Mixing: Here are Sound Supervisor David Barber’s essential tips, tricks & lessons learned from 18 years in film sound
• Award-winning supervising sound editor James Mather details their sonic choices for crafting an engaging, realistic sound for Ridley Scott’s House of Gucci
Company: Eleventh Hour Games
As a Sound Designer, you will be responsible for creating and implementing high quality sound effects within Unity while working closely with the Audio team. You will champion a large portion of the audio development within the company while discussing and implementing feedback from the Game Director.Key Responsibilities
- Create and implement outstanding sound effects and bring the overall soundscape to the highest quality
- Design audio with the intention to foster a satisfying experience for players while maintaining the established aesthetic of the soundscape
- Self-sufficiently manage your workload and maintain thorough communication with the audio team
- Design exciting combat sound effects for players and enemies including magic, melee and enemy vocals
- You will closely collaborate with other disciplines like level design, game design, VFX, animation, programming, to create an emotional and high-quality experience for the players.
- Well-organized, resourceful, and capable of managing competing priorities
- Ability to take charge, express ownership, and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to efficiently work in a completely remote environment
- Strong English communication skills, both written and spoken, and the ability to collaborate with other team members
- North America hours of availability – can attend meetings during 1300 – 1800 time window
- 2+ years of experience in professional game development as a Sound Designer
- High proficiency with Unity, Fmod Studio, and digital audio workstations (Reaper/Pro Tools etc.)
- Exceptional skills in sound design and music implementation for games
- Strong collaborative skills with other departments (design, production, QA)
- Can provide examples of previous work
- Experience in Github or other version control software and tools
- Work from the comfort of your home
- Base salary is negotiable based on experience
- Flexible hours outside of core ones
- Multiple weekly game nights with the team (optional)
- 100% paid health coverage premiums for U.S. based employees
Please email your application to email@example.com and include any relevant demos or portfolios for our team to look through. We are looking forward to speaking with you!
Company: The Chinese Room
Location: Brighton, UK
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to women, BAME, older people and those from working-class backgrounds.
As a studio we develop our own original games, as well as ‘TCR’ takes on select IP. Current projects are first-person action-adventure games for console and PC, and we’re looking for a world-class Senior Sound Designer to join the team.
What’s the role?
As a Senior Sound Designer, you will carry a broad range of responsibilities. Reporting to the audio lead, you will have a big hand in defining and executing the audio direction for the project, both creatively and technically, while establishing good workflow practices and prototyping audio systems in Unreal Engine’s Blueprint. You will work across many aspects of the game’s audio, collaborating closely with design, art and code teams, while simultaneously ensuring you get to play to your strengths and focus on what excites you most. This could include, but not be limited to, combat, traversal, cutscenes, dialogue systems or music implementation. Besides being a hands-on creative, you will also assist in Lead responsibilities such as scheduling and R&D into new features.
What do we need from you?
We will need you to have extensive game audio experience, ideally having done full cycles on at least three shipped console/PC titles. You have advanced working knowledge of Wwise, and are adept at Blueprint or similar visual scripting languages. You are a skilled sound recordist (both in the studio and in the field) and apply creative, inventive use of sound libraries and audio design tools. You enjoy mentoring more junior team members, and generally have an open attitude towards sharing techniques and best practices amongst the wider team.
Very importantly, you can demonstrate a real knack for top class sound design. Besides high production values, we are looking for individuality in your thinking and hearing, and the way you apply this through your work – while simultaneously being able to always do what is best for the project.
We are Reaper users, so it will help if you are already thoroughly familiar with the deep level of customisation this DAW affords. If you are experienced in running dialogue sessions, that would be considered a bonus.
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world, and the multi award-winning Little Orpheus (2020). This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.
Company: Deep Silver Volition
Location: Champaign, IL, US
Volition is searching for a talented audio designer. The ideal candidate has a blend of technical and creative skills to drive innovation and improve audio quality.
This is a remote-friendly position, but we are also happy to consider candidates who would like to work from our studio in Champaign, IL. If you’re tired of high cost of living and long daily commutes, check out what Champaign has to offer!Responsibilities
- Implement audio assets using Wwise and proprietary tools.
- Take direction from the Lead Audio Designer and offer audio team support as needed.
- Collaborate across disciplines to help identify and deliver on audio needs.
- Produce high quality audio assets to be used in-game.
- Apply strong technical and creative editing skills to fit assets into playback systems.
- At least 1 year of professional experience as an Audio Designer
- Experience with Game Audio Middleware
- Experience with industry standard DAWs.
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Positive, professional attitude.
- Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication, including the ability to give and receive feedback.
- Experience with Wwise.
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming and visual scripting.
- College Degree, Audio Certification, or similar education.
Please include a sample with your application. The sample work must include sound effects synced to video. If the video includes music, please provide a version with only sound effects.Application Instructions
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Audio Designer” in the subject line, or click on the “Apply for Job” button below. When you apply, in the body of your email please indicate your preference between working in our studio vs. working remotely. If it is your preference to work remotely, please also indicate which state in the U.S. you intend to work remotely from.
At Deep Silver Volition we believe in fostering an open, collaborative, and diverse environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will consider all qualified applicants without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or military status.
Company: Sledgehammer Games
Location: Melbourne, VIC Australia
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current audio employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/FoXGIqW2nyoYour Mission
Sledgehammer Games is looking for a passionate and experienced game Sound Designer to help create a fresh new AAA aural experience for our next project. You will be involved in many aspects of game audio content development alongside one of the most passionate and experienced audio teams in the industry.Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interactive and linear sound effects design.
- In-depth real-time audio-control scripting.
- SFX creation and mastering.
- Sound asset implementation with proprietary tools and scripting logic.
- Field recording.
- Dialog processing.
- Music editing.
- Internal SFX Library moderation and maintenance.
- Demonstrated creative and technical achievements in sound design.
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in game audio development.
- Shipped at least one major title.
- Experience in creating outstanding sound assets for games.
- Fluency in game audio implementation systems.
- Understanding of PS4, XBOX One, and PC audio functionality, capabilities, and limitations.
- Experience with major digital audio workstations, with high proficiency of at least one.
- Solid understanding of technical audio theory and audio engineering.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Exceptional organization skills.
- College degree preferred, not required.
- Experience in game scripting or other relevant programming environments.
FPS/Multi-player experience a plus.
Experience with Radiant game development software a plus.
- Continuing Education Certificate, Professional or advanced degree in audio engineering, music, or similar preferred.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ – we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.