We came across interesting new jobs at Playside Studios, Mountaintop Studios, Frontier Developments, and Rare Ltd – and they’re looking for an Audio Designer (Vic, Australia), Sound Designer (US/Canada), Music Supervisor (England), and Musician (England).
We also found openings for an Incubation Sound Designer at Bungie (WA, US), Senior Technical Audio Designer at Cloud Chamber (QC, Canada), Temp Audio Designer at Visual Concepts (CA, US), Creative Producer, Branded Audio at Vox Media (SF/LA/NY, US), Audio Producer at SB Nation (Remote), Senior Audio Producer at Vox Media (NY, US), Head of Audio/Podcast Programming, Editorial & Publishing at Netflix (CA, US), Sound Designer at Axon (WA, US), Product Designer, Audio at CNN Digital (NY, US), Audio Artist – Speech at EA Create Audio (BC, Canada), Senior Audio Designer at BioWare (Multiple Locations in Canada/US), and Dialogue Sound Designer at IO Interactive (Denmark/Sweden).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Foley Recordist at Jumbuck Film & TV (England), Contract Junior to Mid-Level Sound Designer for Jonathan Grover (Remote), a still-open opportunity for a Sound Designer at Amazon (CA, US), Technical Sound Designer and a Senior Sound Designer at Epic Games (Cary, NC). and Temp Audio Designer at BioWare (AL, Canada). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Hear what it takes to get started and succeed in composing for the TV industry, from Charlie Clouser, Sherri Chung & Cindy O’Connor. Learn about the year-long process of designing the ‘noise’ for Chaos Walking’s dystopian sci-fi world. And Oscar-winning supervising sound editor and sound designer Richard King takes you behind the sound of Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984.
Company: Playside Studios
Location: Melbourne, Australia
We are looking for a super talented Audio Designer to help contribute to our exciting next-gen console titles.
In this role, the Audio Designer will be tasked with the production of high-quality audio assets across all areas; everything from SFX and foley recording to VO and music editing (please note we are not currently looking for a Composer at this time).
As part of the role, the Audio Designer will have the opportunity to add their own creative and technical touch to a wide variety of titles across multiple styles and platforms. They will be passionate about their work, an excellent communicator and an efficient problem solver, all the while ensuring that they adhere to PlaySide’s (and external parties’) design philosophies and standards. But most importantly; they’ll be a great team player and a fantastic addition to PlaySide’s awesome studio culture.
Please include a link to your Portfolio demonstrating outstanding visual and technical ability.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design exceptional audio content to create fun and engaging player experiences.
- Contribute to all aspects of sound design, post-production and implementation as required. This applies to both linear and interactive content, and across multiple audio styles and game genres.
- Work closely with the Audio Lead to establish unique sonic identities for all projects. Efficiently action feedback from department Leads or clients to suit project scope and timelines.
- Optimize audio memory allocations and performance to suit individual release platforms
- Collaboratively design, establish, and troubleshoot key audio system components within Unity and Unreal.
- Efficiently handle asset management tasks and assistance in documentation where needed (asset management is a whole team effort).
- Liaise with producers, Audio team members, and other department/project team members to ensure audio tasks are within time/budget.
- Work alongside the other Audio team members in a professional manner, and provide thoughts on improvements to all projects studio-wide. Also expected to work at a technical level with all other members of staff in all areas of expertise.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of Audio team workflow and efficiency by sharing relevant experience and skill, both verbally and through demonstration and/or documentation
- Provide mentorship and onboarding of any junior members of the team.
- To help in reinforcing great company-wide teamwork and amazing studio culture.
- Intermediate audio editing, asset synthesis, processing and mixing skills – particularly with SFX and dialogue
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with one or more current DAWs (Logic Pro X / Reaper a plus) and software/plugins (ie. iZotope, Waves, Kontakt etc)
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and quickly adapt to/manage competing priorities.
- Proven track record of shipped titles both internal and/or external. Interactive film mediums also a consideration.
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills. Able to assess and identify further opportunities to improve workflows.
- Deep understanding of both the game development process and working in Unity/Unreal. Moderate audio scripting abilities (C# / C++)
- Strong attention to detail, and the ability to work independently to get the job done without day-to-day direction.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- A tertiary degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant field.
- Understanding of mobile / console games, and the industry as a whole.
- Ability to think on their feet and act quickly.
- A good work ethic and a positive attitude
- Quality demo reel
If you're ready to stand out from the crowd and deliver exceptional work please keep reading…WHAT WE OFFER!
- Incredible studios based in gorgeous Port Melbourne, right next to the city and many public transport options.
- Amazing culture and team, we have some of the best people in Australia (we're not biased at all 😉 )
- Incredible chance for progression. We're agile and fast growing, giving plenty of chances for you to grow in your role.
- Free daily gym, in the brand new space beneath our building.
- The chance to work on some of the most exciting projects, with the most incredible companies in the world – just take a look at our website!
Company: Mountaintop Studios
Mountaintop is a new game studio creating multiplayer games for teams that crave a challenge. We’re an independent, remote-first studio primarily located in the US and Canada.
We’re creating the types of games that bring people together — and keep them together for “just one more round.” The types of games that inspired us as kids. The games that become our hobbies, and sometimes our obsessions.
Games are a reflection of the teams that make them. So to make the best games, we’re building a studio that puts the team first — one that's collaborative, anti-crunch, diverse, and inclusive.
We’d love for you to join us.THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Sound Designer who’s passionate about building extraordinary experiences that inspire others. You’ll play a crucial role in bringing our first title to life. YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Owning, designing, integrating, and iterating on sound effects for game features that deliver insanely great player experiences
- Helping to develop the audio vision, direction, and strategy for all Mountaintop projects
- Collaborating with design, art, and engineering to bring a cohesive universe to life through its sounds
- Establishing sound ensign best practices that ensure high-quality results at scale
- Directing external partners & vendors to scale audio production (as necessary)
- Creating a team culture that prides itself on excellence, innovation, trust, and respect
- A love for playing and making amazing games
- A minimum of 4 years sound design experience, including at least one shipped PC or console title
- Experience working on a first-person or third-person shooter
- Experience working with modern sound design creation tools and techniques
- Experience working with audio outsource partners to ensure high quality results
- Self-motivated and eager to contribute to many different areas of development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with Audiokinetic’s Wwise audio platform
- Experience working on networked multiplayer games
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience working on a games-as-a-service title
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401k plan
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Unlimited PTO and sick leave
- Remote-first studio
Company: Frontier Developments
Location: Cambridge, UK
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain's biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As part of our audio team, the Music Supervisor will work with internal and external stakeholders to bridge the gap between the game studio's music needs and the music industry.
The Music Supervisor will work with development, administrative and publishing teams across all properties, from the pre-production process to the final game release, and including any subsequent DLC packs.
This person will be responsible for all music management activities within the company, which includes contracting and handling composers, licensing tracks, tracking deliveries, managing the music portfolio and generally being Frontier's in-house music industry authority.
The successful candidate must be able to work within, and across, many teams in a creative and thriving environment.Essentials
- Must have pre-existing music industry contacts (record labels, publishers, sync companies, composers, agents, etc.), with a minimum of 5 years' experience in music licensing
- A knowledge of Master and Sync contracts and the confidence to take the lead on negotiating terms, use, fees, etc.
- A strong understanding of music royalties, PRS for Music, Performing Rights Organisations and related issues.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work within a budget
- Research skills and music search experience
- A good attention to detail
- A strong knowledge of music genres, and terminology
- Experience working directly with artists and composers
- Cue sheet experience
- Working understanding of music law
- Album / soundtrack production experience
- Budget development and fee quoting experience
- Budget tracking and reporting experience
- An understanding about the video game industry or standard gaming terms
- Experience with circulating music briefs
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 600+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio's success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Company: Rare Ltd
Location: Atherstone, UK
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
This role requires a specialist musician, to translate the musical design vision and implement into specific music systems and / or trailer content, which conform to technical limitations where pertinent.
The successful candidate will oversee implementation of systems and content into the product and be accountable to the wider game and music direction. The successful candidate will need a high level of initiative, passion, resilience and good organization skills to assist with product vision.
This position will be based at the Twycross studio and this role may require work outside of the usual 9am-5pm hours and applicants must be willing to be flexible to incorporate this.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creating Music assets that express the emotional gestalt of a scene through the relations and connections of the various musical, visual, and gameplay elements.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of the spectrum of viable music composition techniques to develop prototypes for a game area or section, which result in highly immersive music for key game areas or trailers.
- Implement music cues, which result in assets that function technically and musically well within the game.
- Work with the audio, design, and art directors to translate overall concept audio into prototypes for specific classes of musical assets, which result in clear communication of musical style to the production team.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of music asset preparation, implementation, and in-game mixing to improve the production pipeline and to produce run-time audio that maximises audio quality while functioning within the processor/memory budget.
- Assess the music asset requirements of a game and map a strategy for acquiring and cataloguing the needed source, which will result in an organized and appropriate set of musical assets.
- Must be degree level educated or have equivalent vocational experience
- Expertise of musical asset preparation and in-game mixing to improve the production pipeline.
- Expertise in musical asset creation software, Pro-Tools, Reaper etc. As well as Wwise and Perforce.
- Initiative to produce run-time audio that maximizes audio quality while functioning within the processor/memory budget.
- Initiative in partnering with Test to develop a test plan and establish bug-triage criteria for an entire game area.
- Experience of writing and recording music for trailers and game across a high-end platform.
- Ability to clearly define and communicate parameters for the iterative process to the game design team.
- Can work in a team environment, and ability to work with varied personalities.
- Proactive nature.
- Product / customer focus in decision making.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.