We came across interesting new jobs at Rebellion Oxford, Rec Room, Riot Games LA, and Bungie – and they’re looking for an Audio Programmer (England), Lead Audio Designer (WA, US), Audio Producer (CA, US), and Intern Audio Engineer (WA, US / Remote).
We also found openings for a Senior Audio Software Engineer at Rec Room (WA, US / Remote), Voiceover Designer at Blizzard Entertainment (CA, US), Audio Technician 3 at EA Vancouver (BC, Canada), Senior Sound Designer at The Chinese Room (England), Audio Designer at CNN (NY, US), Principal Audio Systems Engineer at Owl Labs (Remote), Lead Audio Engineer at Verizon (NJ, US), Sound Designer and Editor at Lockhead Martin (CO, US), Senior Audio Designer at Funcom (Norway), and Senior Mixer / Sound Designer at Decibel (NY, US).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs Facebook and LinkedIn groups also have opportunities for a Sound Design Manager at Riot Games LA (CA, US), Senior Sound Designer at Media.Monks (Malaysia), Junior Mixer / Sound Designer at Therapy Studios (CA, US), Senior Sound Designer at TiMi Studios (WA, US / CA, US), Audio Project Assistant at Gameloft Montréal (QC, Canada), Sound Designer (Outer Worlds 2) at Obsidian (CA, US), and Sound Designer (League of Legends, Personalization) at Riot Games (CA, US). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week:
• Early Christmas Present: We’re glad to give you a full sound effects library here – completely free!
• Sound Supervisor Nick Renbeck & re-recording mixer Andy Kris on handling Succession’s fast-paced dialogue, designing the sound of privilege, creating a cinéma vérité-style show, and so much more.
• Megan Frazier shares insights on the application process, communication and screening when you apply for a game audio job.
• Go behind Foundation’s sounds of Sandograms, force fields, future-tech weaponry, massive attacks, and so much more – with supervising sound editor/sound designer Tyler Whitham.
Company: Rebellion Oxford
Location: Oxford, UK
Are you an experienced Audio Programmer who is passionate about audio in games looking to looking to take on your next challenge? Do you want to work on proprietary technology with the freedom to create new methods?
We are looking for someone like you to become our all-new Audio Programmer and join our passionate and talented in-house tech team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
We're looking for an experienced audio programmer to join our engine team, working on our in-house engine and editing tools. Candidates should be passionate about audio in games and driven to work with multiple game teams to create advanced features that enhance the audio experience of our players. There will also be opportunities to contribute to other related areas of the engine codebase.What you’ll do;
- Work with game teams to identify and develop new audio features
- Iterate tools with sound designers to create efficient workflows
- Research and evaluate new game audio technology
- Maintain and support existing audio features
- Assist in planning and prioritising tasks
Experience with routing, bussing and mixing of digital signals
- Understanding of digital and analogue signal processing
- Good understanding of frequency domain topics (FFTs), sampling theorem and filtering
- Able to create high performance and multi-threaded code
- Experience with PC and console audio APIs
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the recently released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!Diversity and Inclusion at Rebellion
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
Company: Rec Room
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Rec Room is the best place to build and play games together. Chat, hang out, explore MILLIONS of rooms, or build something new to share with us all! We are looking for a Lead Audio Designer to work on our voice and audio systems. In this role, you will own the voice and audio technologies for the game, and provide an audio experience that our players love.IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Architect, build, improve, and maintain voice chat, sound effects and music technologies
- Work autonomously and iteratively to improve the player audio experience across multiple platforms
- Deliver technology that will scale from mobile platforms to high end PCs
- Collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of professional experience building and shipping production-ready voice or audio technology
- Experience working with an interactive sound engine
- Experience working with audio streaming and digital signal processing such as audio compression and echo cancellation
- Passion for audio experiences, specifically in improving the end player experience
- Excellent cross-discipline communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, autonomous, and ambiguous environment
- A constant desire to learn, improve, and help others improve
- Experience developing mobile audio technology (iOS, Android)
- Experience working with game engines such as Unity, Unreal, or something similar
- Experience developing for multiple platforms (mobile, console, VR)
- Sound design experience
- Background in Augmented or Virtual Reality technologies (e.g., ARKit, ARCore, HTC Vive, Steam VR, Oculus Rift, etc.)
- Experience working on a live online service
- Strong 3D math skills
Rec Room offers generous medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. We also support your retirement benefits with a company match. Rec Room values work-life balance by providing unlimited paid time off. Our company values are real and drive our culture. We work hard to be a safe and friendly place for people from all walks of life.
Rec Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Company: Riot Games LA
Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
As Producers at Riot, we lead passionate cross-functional teams to create innovative products and experiences that seek to deliver maximum player value. We drive development, smash through obstacles, and push projects across the finish line. We meet and exceed expectations by helping concept, deliver, enhance, and influence projects at every stage of production.
As an Audio Producer on LoL Audio General, you will report into and work with the Audio Director to manage the content development of audio deliverables for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Wild Rift. You will be accountable to deliver projects from beginning to end, including gathering requirements, building work systems, identifying dependencies and maintaining execution, all while providing visibility on complex deliverables. You will partner with various producers from many different product teams to design a work intake system and ensure successful delivery of audio outputs to players while ensuring the team works at a sustainable pace and continuously improves.Responsibilities:
- Co-lead large cross-functional and cross-organization projects
- Work in a cross-functional development team to own the operations and audio content on League PC, Wild Rift and Teamfight Tactics
- Partner with the Audio Director and Audio Leads to ensure that the team has an effective prioritization and work tracking process
- Ensure content execution through maintaining work systems which include making commitments, managing risk, tracking progress, product review by stakeholders, and quality validation
- Build relationships with partner teams across League, Wild Rift and Teamfight Tactics supported by Audio, determine a work intake system to ensure their needs are met and craft working agreements to manage joint projects
- Craft working agreements to manage joint projects and Identify misalignment areas in development and develop risk mitigation plans.
- Create and contribute ideas to areas beyond your immediate ownership across different teams and disciplines
- Build relationships with Product Stakeholders and ensure that they stay informed on the team’s progress on a regular basis.
- Work daily with other producers and coordinators through mentoring and coaching to facilitate their growth and effective fulfillment of their role within the initiative
- 4+ years experience in a software production role (i.e. – experience as a producer, product manager, project manager, or similar)
- Direct experience in managing cross-discipline game development efforts as a Producer
- Experience working in cross-functional teams, setting up work systems, improving team effectiveness and health, and delivering projects
- Experience with various development methodologies and their applications (e.g. Agile software development, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, empathetic collaborator, excellent partner management
- Experience building frameworks and production pipelines
- Familiarity with production process (kanban, scrum, waterfall) and tools (Jira, structure, Airtable)
- Experience with the game audio process in one or more of the following crafts: Sound Design, Voice Over, Music
- Certificate/Bachelors in audio/music engineering or equivalent industry experience (2+ years)
- Familiarity with sound design and music creation tools (ProTools, Nuendo, Reaper, Izotope, Waves, Native Instruments, etc) & techniques.
- An understanding and experience with Wwise audio middleware.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Location: Bellevue, WA / Remote
Are you drawn to story driven games and the systems that power them? Do you want to work on worlds that bring people together, at a company that values diversity, inclusivity, and maintaining a great work-life balance?
As an audio engineer intern on the Narrative Systems and Workflow team, you'll focus on empowering our content creators to tell inspiring stories within our proprietary engine. At the intersection of story and technology, you'll work with audio designers and composers to optimize, update, and expand the relevant runtime systems and pipelines that drive audio narrative in our game. Most importantly, you will work with a fun and creative team helping make exciting player experiences in Destiny.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop audio features that take advantage of a three-dimensional soundscape.
- Collaborate with experienced colleagues to optimize the workflow and improve the fidelity of our ambient audio environment creation pipeline.
- Build confidence with the Audiokinetic Wwise authoring toolset and APIs.
- Proficient in C/C++ and has an understanding of multi-threaded concepts, algorithm design, and common data structures (binary search trees, queues, stacks, hash tables, spatial partitioning).
- Strong relevant math background (trigonometry, linear algebra, calculus II).
- Demonstrable knowledge of mathematical concepts used in Digital Signal Processing (Z-transforms, convolution, Fourier transforms).
- Good communication skills, verbal and written.
- Personal or academic experience developing and debugging audio asset pipelines.
- An academic or practical understanding of how audio game engine sub-systems interact with game logic.
- Authoring, automation, or programming experience with Audiokinetic Wwise.
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.