We came across interesting new jobs at Microsoft, IO Interactive, Facebook, and Arrowhead Games Studios – and they’re looking for a Senior Audio Designer (Mixed Reality) (WA, US), Lead Sound Designer (007) (Denmark/Sweden), Audio Experiences Prototyper (WA, US), and Audio Programmer (Sweden).
We also found openings for an Audio QA Tester at Sony San Diego (CA, US), Audio Producer at Hi-Rez Studios (GA, US), Sound Designer at Turn 10 Studios (WA, US), Audio Programmer at Massive Entertainment (Sweden), Senior Sound Designer at The Chinese Room (England), Audio Lead at Formosa Group (WA, US), Audio Director at Deck Nine Games (CO, US), Audio Engineer at Vertigo Games (Netherlands), for a Sound Designer at Stratos (France), Audio Director at Crytek (Germany), Audio Production Coordinator at Blizzard (Ireland), Visiting Assistant Professor – Music Composition/Theory at University of North Carolina Wilmington (NC, US), Audio Director at Archetype Entertainment (TX, US), Audio Specialist at Evolution (MI, US), Lead Sound Designer (Unannounced) at IO Interactive (Denmark), Sound Designer at Sumo Sheffield (UK), Associate Technical Sound Designer at Sony Santa Monica (CA, US), Associate Technical Sound Designer at Sledgehammer Games (CA, US), and a Part-Time Music Production Lecturer at the School of Electronic Music (UK). This opening for a Dialogue Designer at Remedy Entertainment (FI) is also still available.
And be sure to check out the The Audio Jobs group for more opportunities. Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Hear stories from George Vlad’s wild recording expeditions around the world (and get 9 exclusive recordings as a bonus). Learn how to build a lean, effective game audio setup that gets you off the ground – without breaking the bank. Check out new sound effects of quadcopters, chess moves, hens and roosters, Sri Lankan trains, UI sounds, and lots of weather. Read an interview with Oscar-winning sound supervisor/sound designer Glenn Freemantle and MPSE award-winning sound supervisor/sound designer Ben Barker about the sound of The Undoing.
Location: Remond, WA, US
In Mixed Reality, people—not devices—are at the center of everything we do. Our technology moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together—whether that’s scientists “meeting” on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we’re incorporating groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more.
We’re a growing team of talented engineers, program managers and artists putting technology on a human path, across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, previous work histories, life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers and make for dynamic and joyful collaborations with colleagues!
If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you!Responsibilities
- Work on the creation of audio content, audio implementation, scripts, middleware integration towards the delivery of our products.
- Partner with industry-leading Engineers, Artists, Designers and Producers
- Work with state-of-the art next generation hardware, sensors, and software
- Incorporate the latest AI, Machine Learning and Computer vision capabilities into the design of our products
- 10+ year(s) experience or equivalent in Audio designing and programming, or equivalent career.
- Substantial knowledge of node-based scripting tools and workflow (Familiarity with C# a plus)
- Working with the latest content creation and game engine tools
- Understanding the technical audio constraints regarding audio implementation of XR & PC to understand dependencies
- Strong cross-discipline collaboration skills
- Great communication, written and verbal
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Due to contractual limitations and ITAR obligations associated with this role, U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3) is required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Company: IO Interactive
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark / Malmö, Sweden
Define, lead, and implement the iconic sound of the James Bond universe! IO Interactive is looking for a full-time Lead Sound Designer to join Project 007, a brand new James Bond video game to be developed and published by IOI. Featuring a wholly original Bond story, players will step into the shoes of the world's favourite Secret Agent to earn their 00 status in the very first James Bond origin story.
Give life to game vision by setting the audio direction for our Bond universe, this legendary title, known for its iconic sound. You will be a key player between sound design and game vision and will marry the two into one immersive and realistic sound experience. We will count on you not only as a specialist sound designer, but also a creative thinker who sees opportunities within sound for achieving the best player experience.
As a Lead, apart from setting the audio direction, you will also get to mentor a team of sound designers, set out new standards for sound systems, lead the team by example by being the go-to expert for sound design layout and implementation. As a specialist we will trust you and give you the space to be hands-on daily, like the rest of your sound team.
If this sounds like a match, we would love to meet you! We’re looking for the very best talent from all over the world to join our studio and work on Project 007. This role requires relocation to either Copenhagen (Denmark) and Malmo (Sweden).What you will do:
- You will create and own the audio direction and sound implementation that aligns with the general game vision, established in collaboration with the game management team.
- Set benchmarks for sound design quality for the internal and external teams.
- Ensure that game audio playback is as intended and fit for commercial release.
- Define workflows, structures and the organization of all audio related content.
- Mentor and coach a team of sound designers to deliver on the assignments at hand and within the established quality standard.
- Take part in the recruitment process and train new sound designers in the proper use of our tools.
- Work with programmers and designers to ensure outstanding audio reflecting the game vision.
- Use IOI’s proprietary tools setting up audio (Wwise, Glacier2).
- Create prototypes and sound intentions, proving audio set-ups and technical choices while identifying needs.
- Create sound effects and audio assets using pre-recorded material or synthesis, recording, foley recording etc.
- Mixing – you will be the owner of the final quality in sound design and implementation.
- Focus on technical development and implementation of sound, collaborate with audio programmers and spar on solution iteration.
- Accomplished sound designer with 5+ years of experience working in the AAA film or video game industry, having produced work for at least one published title, in a leading role.
- You have leadership acumen, able to manage an in-house team of sound designers, and guide them with qualified and constructive feedback.
- Excellent sound design skills both in regard to technical understanding and creative solutions.
- Experience working with one or more established game audio systems (F-Mod, WWise, Miles Sound System etc.).
- Professional recording experience – location and studio-based.
- Experience recording, integrating and mixing audio for game projects.
- You are both autonomous and collaborative, and can both set the direction for the team and also be a true team player.
- You are self-motivated and hold a very high standard for the sound direction and your team’s work.
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, and work solution-oriented.
- A deep passion and enthusiasm for making and playing games, and a very good understanding of the industry’s competitive landscape.
- Work showcases (E. g. in published games, on personal website or on youtube).
- Experience with linear sound or a sandbox storytelling game.
- A fan of the James Bond universe.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for IO Interactive games.
- Experience supervising orchestral recording.
- Experience supervising dialogue recording
- Degree in sound/audio design.
Who we are:
We are a team, above all. If you join our studio, expect to be encouraged, listened to and have your efforts and insightful impact recognized and valued. We take pride in the friendly haven we built at IOI, and we expect you to take part in cultivating that. We are also highly international, with people from over 28 nationalities working in both our Copenhagen and Malmö offices.
We also have a reputation for being a very friendly workplace with highly talented people. That is why the members we welcome in our team never fail to integrate, and are supported, valued and listened to at all steps. We are dedicated to quality and have fun while doing it. We welcome you to join us and do the same.
The position is open in both our Malmö and Copenhagen offices, and we will take your location preference into consideration. We welcome candidates from all over the world, and we support VISA and relocation for you and your family.
Please include a portfolio with your application. For any questions, drop an email to Marina, at email@example.com
We are looking forward to your applications!
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we're just getting started.
As an Audio Experiences Prototyper on the Design team at Facebook Reality Labs, you’ll work with world-class scientists, designers, and engineers developing breakthrough technologies necessary for virtual, mixed, and augmented reality. You will develop spatial and perceptual audio experiences for AR and VR projects that demonstrate the full potential of 3D audio using future-state research technology. Your work will span both AR and VR domains, and be incorporated into larger multi-sensory and multi-modal experiences to be used in user research studies, technology demos, and functional prototypes.Responsibilities
- Collaboration with research scientists to transform experimental hardware, software, and services into prototype interactive experiences
- Implementation support for audio features within multi-modal experience development
- BS in computer science, music & technology, acoustical engineering, or a related degree
- Communication and presentation experience and experience working in a highly collaborative, ambiguous environment
- 3+ years of demonstrated proficiency with Unity 3D or Unreal
- 3+ years of demonstrated proficiency with C#
- 3+ years of demonstrated proficiency with DAWs (Ableton Live, ProTools, Logic Pro, etc.)
- MS or PhD in computer science, music & technology, acoustical engineering, or a related degree
- Demonstrated experience with Max/MSP
Demonstrated experience with MATLAB scripting
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Company: Arrowhead Games Studios
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Our Audio Team is responsible for all audio in our game project and we’re really ramping up the quality of our audio in our current, next-generation project!
In the team, you are the dedicated audio programmer working closely with two Sound Designers and our Audio Director. Of course, you’ll be working very closely with the tech team as well.
We are an ambitious bunch, and we are preparing to really scale up! Not just internally, but also in cooperation with our publishers extended (and renowned) audio team.Your responsibilities
As an Audio Programmer, your main tasks and responsibilities are:
- Build flexible and deep audio systems in collaboration with our Sound Designers;
- Create pipelines and tools to improve and automate audio workflows;
- Profile audio performance and optimize, while providing insight to Sound Designers for their work;
- Collaborate with the external audio team from our publisher to ensure we’re fully utilizing next gen hardware;
- Build detailed sound propagation systems;
- Deepen wwise integration into our game engine;
- Actively participate in improving the audio for the game.
Are you (an aspiring) Audio Programmer, and do you recognize yourself in the following areas?
- You have 3-5 years of programming experience in game development;
- You have shipped 1-2 game titles;
- You are an experienced C++ programmer and have experience with game engines such as UNREAL;
- Ideally, you have worked with audio engines such as WWISE, FMOD or Frostbite;
- You have an analytical ear.
Scope: Full-time, 40 hours per week. We offer a permanent position and relocation aid for the right candidate.
Location: Stockholm. Working remotely from another location in Sweden is possible.
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. Please provide relevant work samples or link to your portfolio when you apply.