We came across 4 interesting jobs at Power Up Audio, Audiokinetic, Activision, and Facebook – and they’re looking for a Sound Designer, Software Developer, Music Supervisor, and Sound Design Manager.
Company: Power Up Audio
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re looking for an avid gamer and experienced sound professional who can work with us in conceptualizing, implementing, and delivering game audio content across a wide variety of platforms and genres. You will acknowledge established game audio conventions, while striving for opportunities to approach familiar problems in new and interesting ways. You will collaborate with our team internally, as well with our clients and partners to craft innovative sonic experiences, meeting and exceeding the ever-evolving industry standard of awesome.
• Designing original audio assets in line with established creative direction while being mindful of technical potential and limitations.
• Designing and mixing linear media.
• Integrating audio in interactive form using various middleware.
• Tracking development progress and addressing revision requests.
• Playtesting and quality assurance of audio in our projects.
• Representing and supporting our team at game industry events such as PAX, GDC, and SGDQ.
• Collaboration and communication with multiple clients and partners around the world.
• Firm understanding of sound design and mixing techniques.
• Familiarity with audio middleware and implementation (coding knowledge a plus but not required).
• Reasonable comprehension of music theory. (Musicianship a plus.)
• Strong aptitude in analysis and problem solving.
• Exceptional communication skills.
• Openness to discussion, critique, and direction.
• Passion for self-improvement.
• Experience shipping a game on multiple platforms.
• While musical proficiency is a plus, this is NOT a music composer position.
• This is an in-house studio position. We are not seeking a remote contractor.
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Wwise is an audio middleware developed by Audiokinetic. As a member of our Wwise software development team, the successful candidate will participate in development of the integration of Wwise in different game engines.
The game integration developer is responsible for:
• Staying up to date with technology changes from our partners (ex: Unreal, Unity)
• Maintaining existing Wwise game integration pipeline and runtime code
• Troubleshooting problems reported by customer and quality assurance
• Adapting and improving our integration to new versions
• Advising colleagues on how to develop for easier game integration
• Integrating new Wwise features in the various game engines
• Excellent knowledge of C/C++ and C#
• 2 years+ experience in software development, preferably as a game engine or audio programmer or as a user interface programmer.
• Experience with Unreal Engine and/or Unity
• Experience with multi-threaded programming
• Game console experience (Xbox One, PS4, WiiU, etc.) an asset
• Mobile platform experience (iOS, Android, etc.) an asset
• Interest in game audio
• Strong teamwork skills
• Autonomous (ability to work with minimal supervision)
• Excellent troubleshooting skills
• Desire to learn new software technology and applications
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French and English
Become a part of an amazing team that creates innovative audio technology for the interactive media and gaming industries!
You’ll work on technology used by thousands of incredibly diverse developers. From the biggest AAA games to the smallest Indies; from VR projects to mobile titles; and from all corners of the world. We’re proud to be able to say, our clients love us! If you want to develop your own indie titles on the side, we’ll encourage that, and you’ll (obviously) be able to use Wwise for free!
We’re located in the historic Old Montreal, and are close to the subway as well as some great restaurants! Our offices are bright and feature an open work space with plenty of windows looking over the old port. We hold monthly Town Halls with microbrewery beer and wine, and our cafeteria features a top of the line espresso machine for coffee lovers as well as complimentary soft-drinks, juices and fruits.
Audiokinetic offers full benefits such as medical, dental and vision care, as well as life and disability insurance. We encourage a good work/life balance and we do not have the sadly-now-standard ‘crunch times’ in our development schedules. Rarely do we see anyone here in the late evening, and when we do, it’s almost always at their discretion.
We are looking for the best, who share our passion, enthusiasm and integrity. Diversity and inclusion is not only part of our DNA, it is what drives our success. Apply now!
Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA
• Work with various studios to achieve any and all music needs (in-game song placements, hiring composers, promotional materials, etc.).
• Assist marketing teams and agencies with music ideas for ad campaigns and trailers.
• Participate in licensing meetings and discussions surrounding artist and music integration with our licensing partners.
• Work closely with Art Services to determine music direction for trailers and promotions created in-house.
• Work closely with agencies to determine music direction for trailers and promotions created by outside agencies.
• Provide “gut checks” internally and to outside agencies on “licensability” of music and budget estimations.
• Work with teams to determine estimated costs for budgeting purposes.
• Draft music briefs with descriptions of our music needs and distribute to our music partners (labels & publishers, libraries, music houses). Review their submissions and identify the strongest options. Make recommendations to Art Services, marketing teams, & agencies on best music choices.
• Research song ownership and clear master and synchronization rights for myriad usages.
• Effectively communicate with internal departments and department heads to determine full company alignment on ideas prior to execution.
• Send music requests to labels, publishers, & libraries for both in-game and marketing purposes. Negotiate fees and terms. Confirm once finalized internally.
• Draft music agreements and send to labels, publishers, and music libraries.
• Submit CRFs for music agreements, pre-redline agreements and meet with Legal to finalize redlines, cross-reference licenses with precedents from the same vendor, facilitate contract revisions and executions with outside vendors, and mark as final for Bertrand’s signature.
• Enter new vendors into our payment system.
• Oversee CRF and POR creation from submission, to signature, to payment.
• Send out checks to our vendors.
• Manage and track all song approvals, payments, and contract executions on our game spreadsheets.
• Manage relationships with music libraries, negotiate terms, and keep up-to-date rate cards with our commonly used vendors.
• Book artists to perform at company reveal events, internal parties, and outside conferences.
• Book artists to perform in our internal music showcase series Activisionaries. Arrange backline and artist riders. Oversee soundcheck. Create and conduct recorded interviews. Draft and facilitate waivers and music licenses for internal media. Coordinate artist approval on assets we create.
• Review marketing, PR, packaging and in-game assets to make sure music and artist representation are used in compliance with music licenses.
• Build, foster and maintain relationships within the music industry.
• Identify music industry trends and up-and-coming talent. Review new music submissions and new releases.
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.
The Facebook Sound Design team is looking for an experienced Sound Design Manager to help manage our immersive sound team and projects. The role has a strong focus on people-management, team building, project management and tactical decision making, but also allows for hands-on sound design, implementation, and production work, and features a long runway for innovation, creativity, and strategic thinking.
• Manage a growing team of Sound Designers, focusing on team engagement and fulfillment, facilitating career growth, and creating a supportive atmosphere of innovation, excellence, and execution
• Work with Sound Design Manager and Audio Producer to establish, encourage, and enforce best practices across the team
• Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the Sound Design Team leadership
• Help manage resources and headcount against a wide, varied, and fast-evolving portfolio of projects
• Collaborate with Engineering, Design, and Product Management in teams across Facebook to incorporate innovative audio design into VR, AR, and 360 tools and products
• Evangelize for the role and value of sound in immersive media across Facebook and in the larger creative community
• Understand the strengths and opportunities on the current team as it grows, and recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process
• 5+ years of sound design and sound implementation experience focused on innovative, high-quality products
• 3+ years of assembling and managing teams
• Strategic decision making and tactical prioritization experience
• Knowledge in how culture and team dynamics create teams
• VR/AR/MR audio production or management experience
• Experience with real-time interactive products
• Experience with game engines and audio middleware (e.g. Unity, Unreal, Wwise, FMOD)
• Exposure to Agile management techniques
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and quickly evolving environment