We came across interesting new jobs at Jagex, Ubisoft Bucharest, Blizzard Irvine, and Kickstart (Splash Damage, Jagex, Futurlab, etc. – UK-only) – and they’re looking for a Junior Audio Designer (England), Junior Sound Designer (Romania), Sound Designer (CA, US), and Junior Audio Designers (England).
We also found openings for an Audio Designer at Ubisoft Montréal (QC, Canada), Freelance Summer School Producer at Sound and Music (England), Senior Sound Designer at PUBG San Ramon (CA, US), Audio Programmer at Ubisoft Winnepeg (MB, Canada), Audio Director at Ubisoft Newcastle (England), Audio Designer at Funcom (Norway), Audio Technical Designer at 343 Industries (WA, US), Global Music Partnerships Intern at Roblox (CA, US), Contract Senior Sound Designer at Mythical Games Seattle (WA, US), Audio Manager at Keywords Tokyo (Japan), Audio Lead at Quantic Dream (France), Sound Designer / Mixer at Lunar Animation (UK), Assistant Voice Over Designer at DICE LA (CA, US), Audio Engineer at The Washington Post (DC, US), and Lead Product Owner for Audio at Bosch México (JA, México).
And be sure to check out the The Audio Jobs group for more opportunities. Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week:
→ Behind the sound for Zack Snyder’s Justice League, with Scott Hecker, Chuck Michael, & Gary Hecker
→ A Sound Effect wins a G.A.N.G Award!
→ How 344 Audio made their great ‘Geese’ sound effects library (includes free sound effects!)
→ Behind Sound of Metal’s extraordinary – and ‘Best Sound’ Oscar-winning – audio
→ Can you guess what’s making this sound? If so, you could win sound effects worth up to $1000!
Location: Cambridge, UK
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Under supervision assists with the design and creation of music/sound design/voiceover in assigned areas of product development that meets the audio direction criteria and quality bar.
- Delivery of professional level sound design, music and dialogue for Jagex’s games and marketing material, under supervision.
- Working closely with designers and level designers to ensure that the audio design supports the game design
- Recording, editing and cataloging audio for the game projects and team’s central sound library.
- Taking ownership of all audio for certain areas of content.
- PLEASE NOTE WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE BOTH A COVER LETTER AND SHORT DEMO REEL WITH EACH APPLICATION
- Has a passion for games and the desire to make them
- Understands sound design concepts and music theory and concepts and their application in game audio.
- Has a good working knowledge of industry standard audio tools for creating audio assets
- Has knowledge of game audio techniques and audio production fundamentals
- Has a good understanding of the game development process
- Has some basic level game engine experience
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to learn and give and accept constructive feedback
- Has the ability to develop and communicate basic ideas and concepts
- Has strong communication skills
- Willingness to work to a brief, adopt working practices and work within the stated boundaries, whilst also demonstrating initiative and creativity
- Is proactive and self-organised
- Has some knowledge of coding/scripting
- Has some experience of video editing
- Has the ability to compose music in a wide range of styles
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Company: Ubisoft Bucharest
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Ubisoft Bucharest has been an important pillar for the local gaming industry since 1992, being the first Ubisoft production studio outside France. It has a strong history of contributing to iconic AAA franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs and Just Dance, and has helped develop a total of over 60 games. Today, the studio is the 2nd largest Ubisoft studio worldwide and continues to tackle the biggest challenges in gaming and technology, contributing to the creation of new and amazing gamesJob Description
Participates in creating audio content (sound design, music, and voiceover) under supervision and supports their integration.Your main mission:
- Analyze high-level game mechanics and determine an appropriate audio treatment
- Work closely with game designers, level designers and programmers to ensure that the audio design supports the design intention
- Use your knowledge of audio tools and game editors in order to integrate audio content, fix bugs and create new functionalities
- Ensure that the audio content you produce functions as intended, once implemented in the game
- Apply audio concepts (sound manipulation tools, music theory etc.) as part of your working audio designs
- Respect the imposed deadline for finalizing the received tasks
- Production Pipelines and Technology
- Understands the basic processes and typical game production life cycles
- Understands and is able to work with deadlines
- Audio documentation:
- Knows the importance of documentation and planning for game productions and create additional documentation if needed.
- Music and Audio Design
- Solid skills in various DAWs (Reaper – is preferred, Nuendo, Cubase, Pro Tools, Ableton…) and Audio Editing Tools (Sound Forge, Wavelab…)
- Has basic knowledge of music theory and concepts (rhythm, harmony, etc)
- Is able to create and implement audio content – SFX, Foley, UI/Menu, Music etc
- Game Audio Production Tools
- Is comfortable working with audio pipeline packages
- Understands the basic functions of an audio engine
- Has basic knowledge about field recording (ambiance sounds)
- Must be motivated and passionate about sound design and video games
- Self-driven, team player and willingness to learn
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written
- Production: creates amazing games that have a strong impact on tens of millions of players around the world;
- IT: delivers reliable services and engineers products for Ubisoft’s community of players, game development teams and employees;
- Quality Control: guarantees a smooth and non-interrupted experience by maximizing the quality of the games.
You will have the chance to work with the latest technologies and collaborate with our talented teams from around the world.
We aspire to offer our employees an environment and culture where everyone can thrive. We offer a variety of perks that support physical, emotional and intellectual well-being such as health and benefit packages, opportunities for career development and learning, free access to bikes and a library at your disposal.
Find out more about Ubisoft Romania: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/studio/bucharest.aspx
Ubisoft’s 19.000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us Create the unknown.
If this sounds like you, please apply via our career portal. The application should include your resume, highlighting your experience, education and skills.
Company: Blizzard Irvine
Location: Irvine, CA, US
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a full-time sound designer to bolster our ranks. We are looking for a champion of audio with a strong creative vision and an internal desire to wield a mighty sonic arsenal in their pursuit of audio perfection. Come join our audio guild and help us define the future sound of an unannounced project for mobile.
The ideal candidate needs to have extensive experience with sound design and environmental audio for mobile. As a member of the team, you will work directly with both the creative lead and game producer to align creative vision and goals. You must be comfortable operating in a professional manner while constantly interfacing with the various artists, designers, and engineers in bringing their characters, creatures, and environments to life. The sound designer engages with music compatriots to explore aesthetic opportunities and resolve any possible sonic conflicts. The sound designer also contributes to a game's user interface to present players with audio feedback as they interact with the interface. The ideal candidate is also able to collaborate with game designers in crafting an audio experience that complements and melds seamlessly with the gameplay. This person should also have an outstanding ability to not only create excellent, original content, but to successfully integrate it into the final product—working with other designers, actors, artists, producers, and programmers to make sure that great concepts make the transition from the microphone to the game.
If you’re ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize a new epic Blizzard experience, we want to hear from you!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.Requirements
- Shipped multiple titles in the role of sound designer
- Experience specifically in creating outstanding soundscapes and sound assets for mobile games
- A proven legacy of utilizing one’s artistic "voice" in furthering a storyline via the medium of sound
- Experience utilizing sound effect recording sessions to gather resources for audio production
- Experience creatively producing sound effects, backgrounds, and Foley for games
- Experience working with commercial and/or proprietary audio implementation tools
- Experience working in DAW workstations, such as Nuendo, Pro Tools, REAPER, etc.
- Able to work with equal effectiveness in both team and solo creative environments
- Experience editing and conforming sound-to-picture
- Experience mixing in stereo and surround-sound formats
- Experience using and troubleshooting Windows and Macintosh operating systems
- Demo reel or audio portfolio including representative examples of sound design experience
- A passion for exploring new ideas in mobile gaming
- "Building block DSP" such as Kyma, Max / MSP, or Reaktor expertise
- Computer-readable or level-design-style scripting or light programming knowledge
- Shipped titles on Audiokinetic’s Wwise audio platform
- Demonstrable technical skills working with Wwise pipelines
- Experience with the Unity game engine
- Familiarity with Blizzard's games as well as Blizzard’s values
- Cover Letter
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing a true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Company: Kickstart (Splash Damage, Jagex, Futurlab, etc.)
Location: UK only
Hello #gameaudio #sounddesign aspirants!
We're on the hunt for 2 Kickstart Junior Audio Designers for our team at Jagex. Kickstart is a government funded apprenticeship-style scheme for unemployed 16-24 year olds who are out of education and receiving universal credit. They will be part of our team for 6 months for 25 hours a week (on min. wage)
We are looking for people who:
- love games and want to make them
- have a passion for all things audio (especially sound design)
- have baseline experience with using a DAW and audio tech
- have some video editing skills
- See this as an incredible opportunity to…start a career in Game Audio
Best of luck!