We came across 3 interesting jobs at King, Ubisoft, and id – and they’re looking for an Audio Director, Audio Designer, and Audio Programmer.
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for Remote Sound Designers at Clean Cuts and a Head of Marketing at Schoeps. There’s also still a Senior Sound Design position available at Naughty Dog. Happy job hunting!
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
We are looking for an accomplished Audio Director to lead our Audio Team and the Audio function in King who can make an immediate impact and contribution to all aspects of audio development in King. The ideal candidate will have significant expertise in audio design and production, including sound design, music composition and voice production. They should all also be highly skilled at managing, developing and mentoring Audio staff and leading a global Audio function in mobile and/or AAA gaming.
• Evangelise the impact and role that audio plays in the overall player experience across King studios
• Work as part of franchise IP groups to define the audio vision.
• Ensure best work practices are defined and implemented.
• Oversee the process and implementation of audio assets and assist in developing integration tools.
• Act as an expert in proprietary pipelines and integration processes.
• Work with the Audio team to facilitate external audio vendors, and setup production contracts, budgets and schedules.
• Manage and mentor the King Audio team, including professional development.
• Plan, prioritize and schedule workload.
• Lead Audio team recruitment and interviews.
• Supervise and maintain the highest level of quality for all audio assets.
• Contribute to the design and production of sound effects and music when needed.
• Produce and direct VO sessions
• Innovate and adapt to drive new Audio features and develop methodologies for continuous improvement across the audio function.
• Work with the Audio team to define an effective audio style and execution across projects.
• Work with the relevant teams to deliver improvements in audio technology in use in King to expand the audio team’s capabilities and to create the best experience for players.
• Proactively identify and define ways to improve the audio experience across a growing spectrum of features.
• Work with the audio team and across disciplines to clearly define and articulate goals.
• Lead by example and provide both motivation and inspiration to other team members.
• Travel frequently between King sites.
Skills to create thrills:
• Experience in a director level role proven leadership and mentoring skills.
• Expertise and understanding of the entire audio process, including sound effects, voice over, music, and audio system technology.
• Knowledge of game engine technology and audio middleware solutions.
• Skilled in effective communication across all disciplines and departments.
• A passion and deep understanding of the impact and role that audio plays in the overall player experience.
• Experienced creating sound design and musical composition for a broad range of genres
• Adept at interacting and responding to the feedback of game teams and players.
• A passion for creating casual and mid-core mobile games that appeal to a broad audience.
• Experience producing audio for ads, trailers and other media formats.
• Ability to develop relationships with cross-discipline team members and comfortable in giving and receiving constructive input.
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people that share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. No matter where you’re from, it’s all about what we can achieve together when creating truly magical moments for all our players. That’s why we hire all sorts of talent – because a great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Comprehensive relocation package:
People come from all over the world to work with us, and we want every single one of them to feel at home. To do so, we help you out as much as we can with our relocation package. This includes full visa sponsorship for you and any family member moving with you, covering your journey out here, the cost of shipping your gadgets or helping you with estate agents. See more about our relocation process at: https://jobs.king.com/benefits#relocation
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
In order to continue delivering highly qualitative and innovative game plays we are looking for an Audio Designer [Uplay PC] (f/m). This position will be located at Ubisoft Blue Byte, Düsseldorf (Germany). The employee will oversee all of the artistic and technical audio content of one or more given games under the supervision of the Audio Director.
• Implementation of audio content (music, sound design, voiceover) into the game by using audio engines, game engines and tools.
• Creation of sound design with all available processes and tools.
1) Game Audio Design
• Creates and/or enhances game features and gameplay mechanics with his audio designs.
• Works closely with designers and level designers to ensure that the audio design supports the game design.
• Analyses a game’s high-level game mechanics and determines how its audio treatment affects them.
2) Game Audio Production Tools
• Has an excellent understanding of audio engine functionalities.
• Has good knowledge of at least one commercial wave editor and one or more DAWs.
• Knows audio engines and game engines well enough to take an active role in bug fixing and obtain needed enhancements.
• Uses his knowledge to bring new audio ideas and techniques to the projects.
• Works with audio software developers to bring needed functionality into the studio.
3) Production Pipelines and Technology
• Understands the functionalities of a game engine.
• Understands the processes and typical game production life cycles.
• Respects budget and performance constraints when carrying out assignments.
• Works closely with programmers to solve technical issues and to ensure a high quality soundscape.
• Defines features and tasks for his projects.
• Knows the importance of documentation and planning for game productions.
• Has good knowledge of standard software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Confluence/Wiki.
5) Sound Design; Music & Voice Design
• Has basic knowledge of sound design such as field recording, Foley, synthesis, library-work…
• Conducts research within audio databases for the whole production process.
• Has basic knowledge of music theory and concepts (rhythm, harmony, etc.).
• Has basic knowledge of voice design such as Voice Recording and Batch processing. Knowledge and experience with localization tools is a plus.
6) Studio recording
• Has a basic knowledge of recording tools.
• Understands basic effects and studio maintenance.
• Is comfortable with participating in recording sessions, giving input and comments.
• Respects audio standard protocols.
7) Mixing / Mastering
• Has basic knowledge of mixing and mastering of linear media.
• Has advanced knowledge of mixing and mastering of interactive media.
• Implements basic concepts such as loudness, headroom and balance to the game soundscape in interactive mixing sessions.
• Be familiar with all of the aspects of the game (game design, animation, environment, 3D objects, level design, AI, script, etc.) to understand the audio needs of the project.
• Write the technical and artistic section of the audio design document to determine the style of the soundscape.
• Ensure that the mixing meets internal standards.
• Actively participate in the debugging period and ensure the quality of the final product.
• Collaborate with Audio Coders and Coders to establish systemic and specific features for the audio engine and/or game engine.
• Collaborate with Audio Coders and Coders to develop audio tools.
• Participate in the creation of the game at the creative level (with the lead designer, creative director, artistic director, etc.) to enhance the player’s immersion and experience.
• Take part in the assessment of the sound content that is not included in the game (e.g. trailer, teaser, marketing…) or develop this content in-house.
• Create the audio test cases with the QA team.
• College diploma in Audio, Sound Design, Music or other relevant training
• Excellent skills in Audio Engine Editors (Wwise (is preferred), FMOD…)
• Profound skills in various DAWs (Nuendo (is preferred), Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic…) and Audio Editing Tools (Wavelab, Soundforge…)
• Good skills in Game Engine Editors (Unity, Unreal…)
• Experience in Perforce is a plus
• Experience in scripting/coding (C++, C#, Java,…) is a plus
• Experience in 3D Software (Maya, 3DS Max) is a plus
• Being able to closely adapt the audio vision.
• Being used to work on tasks autonomously and to deliver results in time
• Very good communication and team skills
• Fluent in English, both verbally and written
• Flexible work hours
• External trainings, education in our in-house guilds and knowledge sharing with other project teams
• Fresh fruits, special conditions for gym membership
• Possibility to rent bikes free or lease your own bike
• Working in an innovative and international company
We are offering motivating challenges for true team players with a high level of self-initiative. If you are passionate about about games and wish to become part of an innovative and diverse game development studio, please apply via our career portal.
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has development studios in 28 countries and sells video games in more than 55 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to players. In our German offices in Düsseldorf, Mainz and Berlin, we ware working on brands like “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege”, “Avatar”, “Far Cry”, “For Honor”, “Skull & Bones”, “The Settlers”, “Anno” and many more.
Company: id Software
Location: Richardson, TX, US
id Software is looking for an Audio Programmer to develop leading edge audio solutions for the game industry’s most advanced engine technology. Work with our Core Technology team in a collaborative and high energy development environment to help deliver the best audio experience in video games.
• Own the engineering audio pipe for idTech which encompasses the core sound engine, game code integration, music management, VO management, middleware integration, and all related audio engineering systems
• Maintain and/or implement new audio capabilities in idTech
• Feature addition and enhancement based on project and studio needs
• Support and proactively interface with the Audio Engineers specifically and the entire development team peripherally
• Audio optimization
• 3+ years of game industry experience
• Very strong C++ coding and systems design experience
• Excellent math skills
• Experience writing and maintaining audio systems at all levels from the base audio engine to game code, music and VO management and tool support
• Cross-platform experience (PC, Xbox 360, PS3) including knowledge of each platforms strengths and weaknesses
• Excellent organization and time management skills
• Able to communicate proactively and effectively with excellent oral and written communication skills across discipline
• Strong interpersonal skills and problem solving ability
• Must be a self-motivated and energetic team player with a very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
• A passion for playing and developing the highest quality games in the industry
Desired Skills and Pluses:
• Experience with the idTech code base (Quake 3, DOOM 3, QUAKE 4, etc.)
• Experience with middleware audio solutions such as FMOD, Miles, WWise
• First person shooter or other action shooter experience
• B.S. in computer science or equivalent study in related fields