We came across interesting new jobs at Outplay, Crytek, Ubisoft Reflections, and Microsoft (Surface) – and they’re looking for an Audio Lead (England or Remote), Audio Director (Germany), Audio Director (England), and Senior Audio Engineer (Finland).
We also found openings for a Dialogue Sound Designer at Creative Assembly (England), Senior Audio Programmer at Remedy (Finland), Manager, Voice Input and Speech Synthesis at Magic Leap (FL, CA, TX, or WA, US), Audio Artist – Speech (Contract) at EA (FL, US), Technical Audio Artist at EA (FL, US), Technical Audio Director at Ubisoft Toronto (ON, Canada), Senior Audio Designer at Avail Medsystems (CA, US), and Freelance Sound Designer at Sloclap (France).
Highlight – sound stories this week: Find out how the stunningly realistic sound of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 was made in this huge interview. Learn to make your own horror sounds, meet Featured Sound Creator Pole Position Production. Doug Siebum shares his story and experiences doing free work in sound – and whether you should do that in the first place.
Location: Dundee, UK or Remote
We’re seeking a Senior Sound Designer to lead the audio effort of Outplay’s portfolio of current and forthcoming games. You’ll work in collaboration with the Creative Director, Producers and the relevant Leads to define and implement the audio design vision across all titles.
- Establish and direct the audio aesthetic of a project and communicate this effectively within the team as well as to other stakeholders.
- Create and implement new and revised SFX.
- Edit and create music tracks for both in-game and marketing material.
- Review and scope audio requirements.
- Influence overall project design and ideas.
- Work closely with outsourcers vendors as required.
- Maintain the project’s audio-related documentation.
- Direct and communicate effectively with music composers, contractors and other vendors.
- Audio Lead or Senior Audio Designer, with extensive experience in the gaming industry and multiple titles (preferably mobile) shipped in that capacity
- Experience of senior-level design from concept through to final implementation.
- Used to work with game engines (ideally Unity).
- Prior experience using audio middleware and custom built audio implementation solutions.
- High level of ability and familiarity using DAWs and Plugins (such as Reaper, Logic, Pro Tools, Waves, Kontakt etc.).
- Experienced musician with an ability to deliver music concepts/demos through to final mixed loops in a variety of styles.
- Familiarity with versioning and source control software for asset management, such as Git or SVN.
- Proficiency in tracklaying, mixing and mastering for trailers and cinematics.
- Ability to juggle several tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Autonomous and proactive.
- Casual games experience.
- Familiarity with scripting/coding.
- Experience with video editing tools such as Vegas or Premiere.
- Experience with field recording.
Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK and based in the thriving game’s hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games for mobile phones and tablets.
This approach has seen us recognised for a stable of award-winning titles, including Mystery Match, Crafty Candy and Booty Quest. Our portfolio of awesome games is expanding, and we are always on the search for talented and passionate people to help us grow. With over 30 nationalities represented and a diverse range of experience and expertise, our teams thrive off their ability to work at the forefront of the mobile games industry, building or supporting live game experiences that are enjoyed by millions of players across the world.
The fun and passion injected into our games is reflected in our culture too. Outplay is more than just work. New team members will join a family that has conquered Munros, raced karts, taken on Tough Mudder and Rough Runner, competed in bake-offs, downward dogged, and even ventured to the wilds of Scotland together.
What we can offer
You will have the chance to benefit from our talent initiative, The Outplay Academy – and the opportunity to acquire new skills and grow alongside the business. From mentoring schemes and educational workshops to industry event attendance and guest speakers – we are proud of our dedication to development.
We also offer the following staff benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days holiday
- Access to our team discount scheme
- Employee assistance package
- Childcare savings
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
With your extensive audio expertise you will be part of engaging an audience of millions and become an essential piece in shaping the creative future of one of the world’s leading independent videogame developers. Crytek is looking for an Audio Director to join its award-winning team at our headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany and take the lead in shaping and implementing an all-encompassing vision for the company’s audio output.
- Creates, designs and implements game audio using CryEngine 5.X audio pipeline.
- Directing, composing and producing music for linear and adaptive media.
- Responsible for all Audio relevant questions within the company.
- Recording, editing and post-processing linear media such as audio libraries, trailers and development diaries.
- Directing, recording, editing and post-processing of dialog and localization.
- Performing quality assurance duties such as debugging and optimization.
- Collaborate with CryEngine Developement Team to improve the audio pipeline and procedures,
- Creates technical documentation and tutorials using CryWiki and CryEngine Forum.
- Performs Audio budgeting and resourcing.
- Performs appraisal & evaluation meetings.
- Leads audio and development team scrums, meetings and presentations.
- Extensive audio experience in the gaming industry, actively designing and implementing game audio.
- At least four previously published titles and at least two in a Lead Role.
- Creative vision regarding audio and the use of it in a none linear medium.
- Excellent knowledge of PC-based pro audio software, such as Nuendo, Pro Tools, Reaper and VST plug-ins as well as audio middleware software such as Wwise, FMOD Studio or CRIWARE.
- Profound knowledge of CryEngine or other Game Engines such as Unity, Unreal or Lumberyard.
- Excellent knowledge of Game Development Disciplines and Game Audio Dependencies.
- Ability to accurately plan and estimate tasks while understanding dependencies.
- Experience in managing team and ability to give direction, point out production issues and solve problems proactively.
- Excellent ability to mentor and guide Intern, Junior, Regular, Senior & Lead Audio Designers.
- Excellent ability to document pipelines, tools and procedures, share knowledge and give presentations.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in the English language.
- Strong Passion for playing and creating video games.
- A refreshing yet highly professional atmosphere in a diverse team.
- Flexible work time.
- Free public transportation ticket, which lets you use public transport free of charge 24/7.
- Free onsite German lessons for our employees and partners / spouses.
- Company language is English. Any additional language is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Extensive assistance with getting visa, work permits and communication with local authorities.
- Relocation support.
- A company apartment for your first few months and help in finding a private apartment….and many more!
Please apply directly online and, if applicable, upload your materials as specified on the job posting. Fields marked with a * are required.
Company: Ubisoft Reflections
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.
Define and lead the audio strategy for a project, with ultimate responsibility and accountability for all audio aspects of the project. Champion audio within the project and the studios.
- Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
- Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
- Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
- Create and establish the audio vision, both artistic and technical, based on the creative direction of the project;
- Determine initial requirements of the project and establish a technical budget with the Producer and Director, incorporating necessary metrics for Audio Design to meet audio vision;
- Communicate the audio vision to the team and provide all necessary visual and audio documents and references needed;
- Promote best work practices within the team to guarantee the validity and integrity of the data;
- Produce and Execute Audio Direction, maintaining throughout project through reviews, feedback and modification/course correction as needed;
- Work with all other Directors to ensure audio direction is both synergised with and able to enhance, all other game elements;
- Design and implement complex audio element integration processes by working in close collaboration with Programmers and Technical Directors to ensure proper integration;
- Ensure that the production processes are followed within the project’s general production pipeline;
- Proactively promote project audio throughout project development and prototyping, encouraging focus on sound during playtests and review sessions;
- Ensure Audio Team focus is spread evenly across project with support for elements including UI, menus, signs and feedback or gameplay;
- Attend all relevant meetings and accurately report back and action the content and findings where necessary;
- Engage in travel when requested by Lead Studio, Producers or Studio Management in order to maintain relationships and strengthen the knowledge and workings of the whole project;
- Represent the studio at group level for Audio, maintain awareness of audio challenges and innovations both within Ubisoft and outside to ensure studio is prepared;
- Work with Audio Lead to define and prepare for the future of the Audio Team including, training, a dedicated audio space, relevant software/hardware, and potential project opportunities.
- Great communication skills and a team-focused mindset;
- Mastery of DAW systems (e.g. Pro-Tools, Logic, Cubase, Sound forge, Reaper);
- In -depth knowledge of the audio engines currently on the market (e.g. Wwise, FMOD);
- An aptitude for keeping up to date on current market trends and emerging audio design advances;
- Good understanding about technical budgeting of audio for games (CPU, RAM, disk I/O, etc), and best optimization practices;
- Musical skills as a musician and/or composer.
- Conducting of voice, Foley, and field recording sessions;
- Recording of live action voices and motion capture;
- Experience in (code) scripting is an asset;
- Previous experience in leading or directing the audio of a project (e.g. game, television, film) is an asset.
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more…
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here… relocation really doesn’t have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Company: Microsoft (Surface)
Location: Tampere, Finland
The Surface Audio team is currently recruiting Senior Audio Engineer with a passion for technology to deliver world-class audio solutions for communications devices. As a member of the audio team, you will collaborate closely with algorithm developers, SoC architects and designers to support and drive the realization of the necessary hardware to enable innovative experiences for next generation Surface devices. Perform tuning for the algorithms that are either built in-house or by external partners to provide high quality performance with negligible audio artifacts and to pass performance goals.
Applicants will work concurrently with other Surface product team members from product concept to mass production. The broader product team consists of: Program Managers, Industrial Designers, Acoustics Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Process Engineers, Manufacturing and Test Engineers as well as with other Microsoft internal and external partners.
The selected candidate needs to have good communication and teamwork skills. Selected person will drive the audio algorithm development, tuning and testing in fast paced programs from concept to product delivery.
- Solve audio and voice tuning challenges to ensure music playback, voice quality and voice recognition pipelines are meeting the product specifications.
- Debug complex problems between hardware and software.
- Define and tune render & capture pipelines.
- Optimize speech and audio algorithms to meet customer expectations
- Build, maintain and drive requirements to create effective feature roadmap.
- Development of new ML/AI based audio technologies and experiences.
- Collaboration with other team members to define Audio System Architecture.
- Proven knowledge in Audio capture and render algorithms for consumer devices.
- Proven experience with following audio technologies: Dynamic Range Compression, Noise Suppression, Echo Cancellation and voice activity detection.
- Good knowledge with 3GPP audio standards & carrier requirements for mobile device.
- Experience performing audio measurement and analysis tools (Audio Precision, Head Acoustics, etc.)
- 10+ years of experience of Audio Design in consumer electronics., influencing cross-functional teams and leadership for the improvement of audio quality.
- Knowledge in transducer design (speakers, microphones) and test development
- Knowledge of Windows and Android audio pipelines.
- Experience with various codec and media formats like AAC, Dolby/Dolby ATMOS, Mp4 etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Ability to drive results while working independently.
- Strong communication skills
- Willing to travel internationally up to 20% to vendor and factory sites.
A BS Electrical engineering , Audio engineering or Physics is required, an MS of PHd preferred, or related degree with demonstrated working experience as an acoustic engineer.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away