We came across 4 interesting jobs at Relic, Ubisoft SF, Traega, and Sony Santa Monica – and they’re looking for an Audio Designer, Technical Audio Designers, and a Senior Audio Programmer.
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for an Audio Specialist at Microsoft (Minecraft), Audio Lead at Larian, Sound Designer at Sumo Digital, Audio Director at Wargaming, Audio Director at Ubisoft RedLynx, Studio Engineer at Lark Studios, ‘Sound Design for Games’ Course Director at Full Sail University, and more! Happy job hunting!
Company: Relic Entertainment
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Do you have a strong musical sense and technical audio game chops? Are you a communicator, collaborator, and team player? If so, our Audio Designer (Interactive Music) role might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for an Audio Designer to join our Age of Empires IV team. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral part of the Audio team, you will create and implement innovative, immersive, and interactive music designs. You will have an opportunity to showcase your music implementation skills and be exposed to all areas of game design and development.
As our Audio Designer you will…
• Collaborate with our team to create state of the art interactive music playback systems
• Work with and design audio assets that fit the franchise’s style and aesthetic tone
• Integrate audio assets into the sound engine using Wwise and our proprietary tools
• Create and communicate innovative concepts based on franchise and audio goals
• Post, edit and mix non-linear media when required
We’re looking for someone who has…
• A keen awareness of interactive Music Systems and how they contribute to gaming experience
• 5+ years of audio experience in games, including:
• A proven ability to create and design Audio and Music Systems
• A solid base of technical audio theory both for sound design, Music, and as it relates to games
• Editing and mixing non-linear media and Music (ex. trailers, in-game cinematics, etc.)
• Conceptualizing and executing audio features and playback systems.
• Identifying and solving technical and aesthetic problems
• Ability to work under tight schedules and reliably hit milestones
It’s a bonus if you have…
• Experience working with Wwise/FMOD/UE4 or similar
• Some music compositional experience
• Scripting experience (Lua and likewise)
• Familiar with RTS and/or Relic games
• A love for games! OR An interest in the tech or gaming industry
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Ubisoft Entertainment, a global leader in the video games and entertainment software industry, is currently seeking a full-time Technical Audio Designer. We are looking for a highly talented, motivated, and experienced person for a new multiplatform AAA project based in our San Francisco studio.
You will work on cutting-edge audio technology, expanding audio systems and integrating sound into gameplay to deliver exciting game experiences. You will be a part of a collaboration-oriented team where you will have the opportunity to contribute in meaningful ways:
• Design, implement, and debug audio systems for game development in our SF Studio
• Bridge the gap between audio designers and programmers to be the go between of the two discipline
• Collaborate with designers and programmers to develop systems/tools to allow audio designers to further realize their artistic aural vision.
• Adopt and improve the existing audio development process.
• Manage audio data budget, Wwise session organization, SoundBank structure and loading, and run-time audio optimizations
• Responsible for documenting audio systems and educating the content creators in audio best practices.
• Defining and managing loudness standards
• Proficient with Audiokinetic’s Wwise
• Extensive knowledge of implementing audio in modern game engines
• Advanced knowledge of sound design, synthesis, & audio manipulation
• Knowledge of and experience with building and maintaining modern audio systems in AAA titles
• Work efficiently and autonomously with a high attention to detail
• Understanding of mix engineering process and loudness standards within the industry
• Unrelenting passion for games
• Strong musical background, preferably playing an instrument
• Basic understanding of DSP and audio programming skills
• Desire to keep up with gaming news and audio trends
• Experience with console development (PS4, Xbox One, etc.)
Ubisoft is composed of over 13,000 talented people located in 28 countries across the globe. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 30 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on iconic brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
With an expansive global distribution network, Ubisoft is also a company that stays in close contact with its local fans.
Company: Traega Entertainment
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
As Technical Sound Designer at Traega Entertainment you will lead the integration of music, sound design, dialogue, and audio behaviors while also working with cross-functional teams to ensure a cohesive experience for our new PC title. You are a champion for the audio experience in gaming; A vocal leader, quick learner, team player, and problem solver, you can handle the technical challenges that arise in game development. You are passionate about game audio as it is integral to the experience. You have the skills to turn game audio ambitions into realities.
This is a full-time position in the Nashville, Tennessee area working on a new PC franchise.
• Contribute, define, maintain, and improve the audio pipeline for current and future projects
• Integration of music, dialog, sound effects, and sound design
• Originate and implement all aspects of game audio from concept to optimization
• Documenting audio systems and educate content creators in audio best practices
• Conduct field and studio recordings; produce, edit, mix, and integrate sound effects
• Asset and task management using source control and technical documentation
• Communicate effectively with engineers the needs of the audio engine and feature requests
• Continual iteration of game audio quality informed by frequent playing of the game
• Troubleshooting audio issues, optimizing to meet memory budget, and performance requirements
• 5+ years of sound design experience on shipped game titles
• Expertise of sound design process for games
• Experience optimizing assets to system limitations
• Understanding of native UE4 audio tools and/or middleware systems (such as Wwise, FMOD) for implementation
• Comfortable working with cross-functional teams
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• PC C++ / audio programming experience a plus
• A desire to prove that audio makes a good game great
• Health, Dental, Vision available
• Small independent studio that is self-funded (no VCs, outside investors, or publishers)
• Highly collaborative and creative work environment
• High quality of life in Nashville, TN and living in Franklin, TN
• Excellent public school system
How to Apply:
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• “Application: Technical Sound Designer” in the subject line
• Cover Letter
Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA
WE ARE GOD OF WAR! JOIN US!
You’re a capable programmer, but sound and music are your passion. And you are talented and motivated, with tons of initiative. You get things done. Sound interesting? Give us a shout.
AND NOW A WORD FROM (THE REST OF) MANAGEMENT…
• Design and implement systems and tools for the audio team’s needs (such as occlusion, streaming, performance, and so on)
• Support audio designers in their use of these systems and tools
• Write clear, maintainable, portable, and highly functional code
• Profile and performance tune code to remove bottlenecks
• Support and extend audio workflows and pipelines
• Test and document code produced
• B.Sc. degree in computer science or equivalent experience
• Minimum three years professional programming experience
• Understand audio specific terminology and technology
• Strong programming generalist with solid code architecture skills
• Expertise in C and C++
• Proficient in linear algebra
• Enthusiasm and initiative
• Excellent spoken and written communication
• Able and motivated to work with other team members
• Commitment to code quality, documentation, and sound testing procedures
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.