We came across interesting new jobs at Squanch Games, Rooster Teeth, Improbable, and The Coalition – and they’re looking for an Audio Editor/Sound Designer (NC, US), Audio Podcast Intern (TX, US), Technical Sound Designer (England), and Narrative & Audio Producer (BC, Canada).
We also found openings for a Senior Sound Designer at Infinity Ward (CA, US), Principal Sound Designer at Firewalk Studios (WA, US), Sound Engineer at Liquid Violet (England), Temporary Composer’s Assistant at Blizzard Irvine (CA, US), Vehicle Sound Designer Level 1 at Keywords Studios (Remote), Senior Sound Supervisor at Keywords Studios (Remote), Senior Sound Designer at Keywords Studios (Remote), Sound Designer at Keywords Studios (Remote), Incubation Sound Designer at Bungie (WA, US), Dialogue Supervisor at PlayStation (CA, US), Audio Producer at Gearbox Software (TX, US), Note Tracker / Music Analyst at Ubisoft Japan (Japan), Audio QA Analyst at CD Projekt (Poland), Head of Audio Production at Voicebooking.com (Netherlands), and Audio Producer at Crossway (IL, US).
Highlight – sound stories this week: Award-winning sound designer Hans Møller discusses his approach to sound on Thomas Vinterberg’s Oscar-winning Another Round. How the sound of Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville was trimmed and optimized for the Nintendo Switch. Field recordist/composer Thomas Rex Beverly on the challenges and unique opportunities of capturing sound in extreme cold-weather conditions during his trip to the Eastern Cascades.
Company: Squanch Games
Location: Raleigh, NC, US
- Act as the connection point between the writing team, the talent & the design team making sure each group has what they need to succeed:
- Record scripts confirmed by writing team & ready for talent
- DAW / audio editing software prepped / levels set & tested before talent arrives
- Detailed notes on performance to inform editing / splicing post-record as well as intention for the design team
- Participate in in-person & remote voice over recording sessions and document takes, performance notes and organization of scripts
- Edit, splice and organize recorded lines
- Establish naming conventions, file structure, diligent archiving & organization of our trove of V/O
- Learn, master & improve our proprietary tools to implement voice over recordings into our game engine (Unreal)
- Own the audio pipeline
- SFX creation (implementation experience preferred but not required)
- Work with producers to assure audio needs are tracked across the project
- Work with designers to hook up & iterate on SFX
- If previous composition experience – compose temp and/or final music for the game
- Facilitate & help manage composition needs from external collaborators
- Deep knowledge of Unreal and Wwise (preference to having shipped a title with one or both)
- Deep knowledge of common DAW's (Adobe Audition & Premiere a plus)
- Ability to quickly adapt, respond & obtain clear takes from the the improvisational nature of our talent records
- Be comfortable in the role of, or have experience as, a recording studio's audio engineer
- Experience in both games & TV a plus
- Experience working in, or knowledge of, game development pipelines and narrative games
Company: Rooster Teeth
Location: Austin, TX, US
Rooster Teeth is looking for an Audio Podcast Intern to join our Rooster Teeth team in Austin, TX for our 10-week Summer Intern Program!
The ideal candidate would have a passion for and knowledge of YouTube, digital entertainment, video games, and the world of social media influencers. The candidate would also have a proven track record of completing projects efficiently, be detail-oriented, and possess the ability to think outside-the- box to support and fulfill the strategic objectives of a highly cross-functional organization. In your time with us, you will learn how a production studio operates, as well as day-to- day skills on how to support teams and projects. You will use your creativity to solve real problems and apply what you have learned at school directly to your internship, while building professional relationships, that could lead to a career and lasting friendships.
CANDIDATES MUST BE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN COLLEGE – APPLICANTS THAT DO NOT MEET THIS REQUIREMENT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.Responsibilities
- Work alongside the audio manager, producers and production leads on a multiple of audio podcasts
- Coordinating and engineering recordings
- Editing content for publication and some sound design
- Assist with analytics, reports and RSS feeds
- Curating/preparing media for in-show use & editing/prepping social media clips
- Have some fun and learn some new ways of doing things
- An interest in audio podcast production essential
- Must be on-site in the Austin, Texas office throughout internship
- Currently enrolled in college and taking the internship for course credit (You must provide a letter of verification)
- Be extremely passionate about online video, especially YouTube
- Working knowledge of Mac, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office
- Willingness to go above and beyond to provide great work
- Superior communication and analytical skills
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Be a self-starter with a strong desire to win and to grow personally and professionally
About Rooster Teeth
Rooster Teeth is a fan-driven, community built entertainment company. From humble origins in a spare bedroom, Rooster Teeth created the web series Red vs. Blue, an innovative form of entertainment for a changing media landscape that sparked the growth of a passionate global fandom. From that foundation, Rooster Teeth pioneered a direct-to-consumer lifestyle brand for its growing online following with subscriptions, advertising, e-commerce, and live events. Rooster Teeth produces several original content series including RWBY, the most popular western-style anime series today, The Rooster Teeth Podcast, and daily video series featuring an in-house cast of influential talent. With broadcast and live-action production capabilities and a world class animation studio, Rooster Teeth engages industry-leading networks, streaming entertainment services and creative talent to develop projects that reach global audiences through its Studios division. Rooster Teeth cultivates the gaming lifestyle it helped define with partnerships through its industry-leading video-first podcast network, The Roost. Rooster Teeth has a massive global footprint of more than 45 million subscribers to its YouTube Network, 5 million unique weekly viewers across its RoosterTeeth.com hub and more than 4 million registered community members. The company was founded in 2003, and is a subsidiary of Otter Media, a WarnerMedia company. Discover more at RoosterTeeth.com .
Location: London, UK
Audio in our games will change player experiences like nothing else, it’s a crucial area that requires inspiration, passion and discipline expertise in the field of computer game audio development.Areas of Impact
- Design and implement high quality audio assets within Audiokinetic’s Wwise and UE4
- Manage Wwise project organization, structures, gameplay parameter setups and performance/memory optimizations
- Scope and manage delivery of owned content areas along-side the audio director
- Work along-side audio programmers and sound designers to develop the framework of audio playback systems based on creative vision and game-play needs
- Collaborate with various disciplines (art, design, and engineering) to ensure audio systems are incorporated into all aspects of game-play
- Help define the audio vision of the game by working with the audio director and sound team
- Define and apply best practices of technical audio workflows and systems
- Troubleshoot and debug audio tools, systems and functionality
- Have 2 years of professional sound design experience in the video game industry
- Are credited with at least 1 published AAA title
- Are highly skilled with Audiokinetic’s Wwise
- Have substantial knowledge of UE4 scripting tools and workflow (Familiarity with C++ is a bonus)
- Have knowledge of and experience with building and maintaining modern audio systems for AAA title (spatial audio and procedural level markup is a bonus)
- Have experience with audio recording, processing and mixing techniques
- Are proficient with audio software tools
- Understand the technical audio constraints regarding audio implementation of current console platforms & PC to accurately predict task duration and understand dependencies
Please include a portfolio with your application that showcases in-game examples of your sound design and implementation.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Life at Improbable
Diversity, inclusion & belonging
Company: The Coalition
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical expertise from our industry’s top shooter and action titles, working cohesively to delight our fan base and shatter expectations of what is possible.
The Coalition is looking for a dynamic and organized Narrative & Audio Producer with a passion for game development, and experience in Narrative and Audio production. In this role, you are responsible for managing one or more teams and working directly with the Production Director to drive features to completion. You will partner directly with the discipline Leads of each of these groups to ensure they deliver on time and at a high quality. A key component of this role is to manage the critical dependencies between the groups and solve issues.
As part of the Production team, you will be expected to help create and foster a collaborative, healthy, and high performing work environment. You will create production roadmaps based on backlogs and partner with product owners to establish sprint and milestone goals, executing against this plan by working with the leadership team to prioritize deliverables, manage risks, react quickly to challenges and evaluate their group against deliverable completion and quality success criteria.Responsibilities
- Milestone planning, execution, and evaluation
- Communicate goals to the team and motivate them to execute on time and at a high quality level.
- Proactive risk management and mitigation.
- Create, update, and present status and information to the Studio Leadership team.
- Identify task-related processes to improve efficiency.
- Management of both internal and outsourced content.
- 3 to 5 year’s production experience in the video game industry.
- Experience shipping 1 to 2 AAA quality games.
- Excellent communication, presentation and leadership skills.
- Production experience with a variety of project management methodologies (Agile, Scrum, Waterfall etc.).
- Has experience managing development projects from concept all the way through to ship.
- Has experience managing multiple cross functional teams.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.