We came across interesting new jobs at Gearbox Software, Paradox, thatgamecompany, and Alpha Dog Games – and they’re looking for an Audio Designer (TX, US), Sound Designer (Sweden), Audio Engineer (CA, US), and Sound Designer (NS, Canada).
We also found openings for an Audio Engineer at Run Studios (WA, US), Audio Engineer Lead at GlobalLogic (MI, US), Audio Director at IEG/Lightspeed Studio (CA, US), Audio Operator at ESPN (CT, US), Audio Artist at EA Create Audio (BC, Canada), Podcast Audio Engineer at Los Angeles Times (CA, US), and University Interns at Riot Games (CA, US) (please note: all Riot intern positions will be made available at that link on September 8th).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Technical Audio Designer at Splash Damage (England), Assistant Sound Designer at Sledgehammer Games (CA, US),
and Audio Designer at IGT (Serbia). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Tim Kimmel and Paula Fairfield talk sonic world-building, monster making & more for HBO’s excellent new series Lovecraft Country.
Company: Gearbox Software
Location: Frisco, TX, US
This is a full-time onsite sound design position and requires a person who is dedicated to excellence in audio design. Audio designers are expected to have a voice when it comes to new ideas or game systems and we encourage experimentation to that end. We desire all of our audio designers to take ownership in their areas of passion and to be a stakeholder in not only our games, but our company as well.
- Strong sound design skills and an acute ear for audio production detail.
- Experience with location and in studio sound effects recording.
- Experience with game audio implementation methods.
- A working knowledge of Wwise or Fmod. Preferably have shipped a title using one of these implementation tools.
- Experience with DAW and plugin software.
- A desire to work with a team in a collaborative environment.
- Good communication skills.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
At Paradox, we believe our players deserve to get an engaging, dynamic soundscape that will provide the best audio feedback for each of the stories they decide to play out in any of our titles.
About the role
As a Sound Designer, you will be part of our Audio team working alongside fellow sound designers and music composers, but also content designers, game designers, artists, programmers, etc., for all projects inside Paradox Development Studios. You will produce, implement, and pre-mix audio assets, including sound effects, music, and dialogue. You will work closely with the Audio Director and Audio Lead, to support and enhance our games’ robust soundscapes according to the needs of each game development team and their projects. This means: owning the sound creation from the beginning, working with audio libraries or studio/foley recordings inside a DAW, processing and exporting the resulting product using the appropriate methods for its implementation either straight into the game engine or through an audio middleware such as Fmod, to create immersive, fun, and highly-engaging audio experiences. Your work will have a direct and influential impact on the quality and feel of the game as well as help shape the future development of our Audio Department.
- Experience working as a sound designer in the games industry with at least two shipped titles
- Knowledgeable of sound design and implementation as well as the stages game audio goes through from start to finish
- Experience with FMOD or similar audio middlewares
- Experience scripting game audio into a project
- Strong organizational skills, and experience working with cross-discipline teams
Some of our benefits include:
If you think that this description matches you, we highly encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will interview candidates continuously. If you don’t match all the requirements, please demonstrate how your passion, attitude and interest in Paradox might compensate for this.
At Paradox Interactive we celebrate difference and care deeply about diversity and inclusion. We therefore encourage you, no matter who you are, to apply for this job if you think you’d be a great addition to our team.
Location: Santa Monica, CA, US
thatgamecompany is best recognized for creating award-winning, enriching, and meaningful game titles such as Journey, Flower, and flOw. Our most recent game, Sky, is our most complex undertaking to date. It is a social network built around the values inherited from a powerful humanistic story. It is a live experience continuously evolving inside a global online theme park.
- Development and maintenance of robust audio pipeline for TGC’s in-house game technology
- Optimization of audio performance to provide better user experience and wider platform support
- Development of new tools for the audio design team
- Designing innovative audio-driven gameplay or new apps and utilities with game/audio designers
- R&D of advanced audio tech for TGC’s future projects
- Proficiency in C/C++
- 3+ years of experience of working in audio technology
- Deep understanding of at least one of common OS native audio API (e.g. Core Audio, XAudio, AAudio, Web Audio)
- Deep understanding of at least one of common audio middleware API (Fmod, Wwise, Miles, ADX or Fabric)
- Ability to focus and work independently, but also possessing strong communication and collaboration skills
- A passion for games
- Background in computer science or acoustic engineering
- Knowledge of vector math and game physics
- Experience in cross-platform, mobile (Android), and console development
- Understanding of principles of sound, DSP, 3D Audio techniques, MIDI, etc.
- Familiarity with low-level system engineering (multithreading, memory management, etc.)
- Experience with networked systems in real-time multiplayer game/experiences
- Experience with HD haptics tools integration
- Existing portfolio of audio/music apps or VSTs
- Background in sound design or music composition
Company: Alpha Dog Games
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Alpha Dog Games is looking for a qualified Sound Designer to assist with our sound design and implementation.Responsibilities
- Work closely with the audio team to design and create original audio content in accordance with the project’s design vision
- Ensure our games audio quality is consistent and of the best quality
- Assist in maintaining audio-related documentation
- Manage large-scale audio asset production and implement audio assets using multiple techniques and proprietary tools
- Work closely with developers, audio department and artists as well as external sound/music providers
- Produce quickly and respond efficiently to demands for audio assets
- Playtesting and debugging of game audio systems
- Create sounds for numerous settings and types of gameplay
- Will assist with final mixes to establish an overall powerful and polished sound
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Sound Designer within the games industry
- Experience creating audio for mobile games
- Experience working with Unity
- Strong collaboration skills across teams
- Knowledge of audio creation and editing software
- Ability to create high quality audio samples and process externally created music, VO, and SFX for in-game use
- Excellent working knowledge of modern studio equipment, recording techniques, microphones, and industry standard audio tools
- Previous experience implementing audio using proprietary software or commercial middleware
- Outstanding attention to detail and ability to create audio drafts, and communicate those to teams
- Ability to define technical requirements and specifications
- Strong artistic and creative sense
- Video editing and production experience
- Experience in voiceover production, casting and directing actors, recording and editing