We came across interesting new jobs at That’s Not a Game, Schell Games, Supermassive Games, and Zoom – and they’re looking for an Audio Experience Designer (CA, US / Remote), Game Audio Developer (PA, US), Audio Production Manager (England), and Audio Engineer (Singapore).
We also found openings for an Sound Design Intern at Larian Studios (QC, Canada), Junior Audio Designer at Raven (WI, US), Audio Engineer at Intel Corporation (Shanghai, China), Sound Designer at PlayShifu (KA, India), Junior Audio Producer at Penguin Random House UK (England), Audio Describer at Sky (England), Principal Game Audio Programmer at NaturalMotion (England / Remote), Audio Lead at Jackbox Games (IL, US), Sound Design Manager at Sony CSG (England), Manager of Sound Design at Riot Games (CA, US), Audio Director at Fisker Inc (CA, US), Audio Director at Archetype Entertainment (TX, US), Senior Sound Designer at Glowmade (England), Audio Director at Deck Nine (CO, US / Remote), and Sound Designer at Fields of Mistra (Remote).
Highlight – sound stories this week: Tzvi Sherman demonstrates the many game audio possibilities you get with Unreal Engine’s blueprints. The team at 344 Audio give you an overview of their sound library creation process. Sound design legend Randy Thom shares what it took to create the sound for George Clooney’s The Midnight Sky.
Company: That’s Not a Game
Location: Los Angeles, CA, US / Remote
“Wild Honesty: A party game for deeper conversations” is seeking diverse candidates to expand its library of playful and unexpected animal sound effects for its core gameplay sound guessing game. Our goal is to find a Sound Designer to give players a more polished, high quality, and engaging sound design experience. The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years’ experience in audio production for games (AAA, indie, academic, or polished personal works) and experience working with game designers in some game engine like Unreal, Unity, or GameMaker.As Sound Designer, you will:
- Research, design, source/find, mix, and edit animal (and “not-quite-animal”) sounds for the core gameplay loop of Wild Honesty: an animal sound guessing game experience.
- Collaborate closely with game design lead to create a diverse set of sound effects that complement each other for distinct and uniquely identifiable sounds.
- Drive sound creation, acquisition, and mixing from inception to completion with little oversight.
- Mix final product, including adjusting levels to get all assets to a consistent volume through techniques such as compression.
- Experiment with various sound effect discovery and mixing techniques.
- 1-3 years experience in audio production for games, primarily foley and sound design. Experience must be hands-on, but polished academic work counts too.
- Previous work on a team mixing sound effects for at least one completed personal, indie, small studio, or AAA game.
- Experience working with found asset sound design or sound effect libraries.
- Experience working with a project made in Unreal, Unity, Twine, Renpy, or another major game engine.
- Excellent communication, self management, and other soft skills.
- Experience with animal sound effect design, sound effect guessing games, or training in game design.
- Diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives – Wild Honesty hopes to work with more individuals from queer spaces, BIPOC, and other underrepresented voices in games.
This is a remote small-scale (5-10 hours per week), 2-month contract position through That’s Not A Game LLC and based in Los Angeles, CA. West coast timezone is preferred, but not required.Important Details:
- Location: Los Angeles, CA / Remote
- Expected Pay Rate: $35.00 per hour
- Schedule: Flexible, 5-10 hours per week
- Assignment Length: 2 month contract (or a 4 week contract of 10-20hrs per week)
- Cover Letter / Short personal message on why you think this would be a good match
- Either a portfolio, sound design samples, or online demo of relevant work
Email us to apply! Our address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Wild Honesty:
A party game for 2-5 players to have deeper conversations and push the boundaries of friendships to be more emotionally open and vulnerable. Made for sharing thoughts, opinions, and feelings in a more meaningful, challenging, and mindful way.
Company: Schell Games
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, US
Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We’re the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we’ve worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire?
If you answered “YES!” to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!GAME AUDIO DEVELOPER
We are currently seeking a talented Game Audio Developer to join our team and help build educational games and entertainment experiences. Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle both technical and artistic issues during game development as well as be able to work quickly in a team atmosphere with schedules and reliable milestone delivery. Passion for audio design, SFX, VO recording/editing, and musical composition are crucial. The applicant will be working on a variety of projects, under the direction of our audio designers. Previous experience with creating and placing audio hooks, mixing and leveling audio, and working with game teams is preferred.AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Audio design
- Implementation of audio assets into game engines
- VO recording and editing
- Occasional musical composition
- Experience designing for various hardware systems and organizing signal flow
- Audio integration via middleware
- Meaningfully contributing to decisions and maintaining audio development best practices
- Portfolio/Reel of work must be available for review
- Familiarity with Unity and Unreal game engine
- Proficient use of DAW such as Logic (reaper preferred)
- Wwise, FMOD, or other similar audio tools
- Ability to work in a broad range of audio styles and medium
- Knowledge of Ambisonic audio and contemporary VR mixing practices
- BFA preferred
Prohibiting discrimination and harassment is only one part of the equation. “ Diversity makes us strong ” is more than just something we say. We value diversity in all forms because it is essential to our success, and we want every member of our team to feel their best creative self. Our development environment and social culture are based on welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences among our team members and our players. We rely on each person to add their own unique skills and perspective to our culture. Every member of our team is responsible for making the studio as inclusive and equitable as possible.
Return to the studio’s home page. Candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.
Company: Supermassive Games
Location: Guildford, UK
We are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Sound Designer to work in house within the accomplished Audio team on our AAA horror titles.
If you understand the importance of delivering visceral audio engagement through emotionally driven sound design with subtle detail to enhance a player’s immersion and have a desire for excellence, then we would very much like to hear from you.
The role requires an excellent ear for well-crafted cinematic hyperrealism, intuitive mentoring abilities and a strong desire to create incredible, innovative audio experiences.
The successful candidate will need experience in all phases of audio design and production, with high proficiency in core skills of sound design, sound effects and Foley, with music editing a bonus.
The position is based in our Studio in Guildford and is available as a Permanent or 6 Months Fixed term/Freelance ContractResponsibilities:
- Concept, create and integrate narrative-enhancing, immersive sound design
- Own, and deliver to quality, large areas of the project’s audio experience with little direction
- Work closely with the Audio Director and Game Director to help define and realise the project audio direction
- Mentoring mid and junior audio designers and sharing knowledge with the rest of the audio team
- Five years plus experience in game sound design , ideally in AAA
- Wide experience of implementing sound into games using various game development tools, pipelines and technology
- Strong communication skills
- At least one game cycle leading, supporting and mentoring multiple team members
- High proficiency with Wwise
- Advanced knowledge of DAWs, sample editors and plugins
- Broad experience with abstract sound design, cinematic SFX and immersive character sound (dialogues and foley)
- Solid recording skills for SFX and Foley in studio and external environments
- Good understanding of music theory and music editing experience
- Working closely with other disciplines on the team to improve workflows and achieve the vision for the game.
- Unreal Engine 4
- Additional film / linear post-production skills
- Good understanding of music theory and music editing experience beneficial
- Understanding of simple coding techniques
- Experience leading and supporting a team of audio designers to deliver high quality in an efficient manner
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A growth mentality, with desire to learn and improve on their skillset
- A natural ability to mentor, manage and share knowledge
- Creative and innovative
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Zoom is an award-winning workplace. We have been recognized by Comparably as #1 CEO, Company Happiness, Benefits, Compensation, Diversity, and more! Not to mention we’ve been awarded by Glassdoor as the 2nd Best US workplace & Best Large Company US CEO in 2018, Wealthfront, and Business Insider. Our culture focuses on delivering happiness, our commitment to transparency, and the tangible benefits we provide our employees and our customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Design and implement machine learning models on front end audio tasks to improve audio quality in Zoom’s online meeting (e.g. Noise Suppression, Voice Activity Detection, Speaker Recognition)
- Handle large amounts of audio data
- Adapt machine learning and neural network algorithms and architectures to best fit the real-time requirement
- Partner closely with other audio engineers to test and deploy machine learning models
- MS degree in EE, CS, or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of work experience or Ph.D degree in Machine Learning or digital signal processing
- Enthusiastic in applying Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence Algorithms to Audio/DSP related tasks
- Familiar with one or more deep learning toolkits (e.g. Keras, Tensorflow, PyTorch)
- Ability to run experiments scientifically and analyze results
- Experience with one or more general-purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Python, C/C++ or Java
- Ph.D Degree in EE, CS or related technical field
- 5+ years industry experience with specialization in digital signal processing, machine learning or ASR
- Hands-on experience in deep learning model optimization like quantization, neural architecture search, pruning