We came across 3 interesting jobs at Ubisoft Barcelona, Blizzard, and VRWERX – and they’re looking for a Lead Audio Designer, Producer of Cinematic Sound, and Technical Sound Designer.
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Senior Audio Developer/Audio Manager at Schell Games, Assistant Audio Engineer at Factory UK, and Audio Engineer for Podcasting at Midroll. Happy job hunting!
Company: Ubisoft Barcelona
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Ubisoft Barcelona, part of Ubisoft’s international network of production studios, has developed for over 20 years a strong expertise in the production of videogames from a large variety of genres and platforms. The Studio is continuously looking to grow its team with highly professional, passionate and talented people.
During these years, the studio worked on the following franchises: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon®”, “Assassin’s Creed®” , “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” or “Star Trek™: Bridge Crew” on VR…
The team is currently working on the “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” Live Game, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and an unannounced AAA title.
The Lead Audio Designer will ensure the bridge between the audio artistic direction of the game and its implementation within the technical and production constraints. He/She will also define and track the schedule for the team, manage and mentor team members, and be a key voice for the sound design of the project.
• Assess needs and quality with the Audio Director, define actions to take accordingly after consulting the team and other departments if applicable
• Prototype and communicate the “how to” meet the art and tech objectives to the team with the Audio Director and the production team
• Represent the team in discussions when general sound design expertise is needed
• Help to assess the risks concerning his scope, and to find mitigations
• Establish and document the technical audio charter based on the creative direction and define technical audio needs (tools, process, etc.) for the project to ensure proper integration, in collaboration with the Audio Director and the programmers. Ensure technical watch and share it with other teams
• Design and integrate audio content for the game
• Leads performance optimization phases and debugging phases, in collaboration with the Audio Director and the production team
• Ensure that best work practices are implemented and optimized within the team to guarantee the validity and integrity of the data, in collaboration with the production team
• Supervise the work of the audio team from technical perspectives by providing individual feedback and/or actively participate to group audio reviews to ensure that the team’s work meets quality standard, technical constraints and remains in line with the audio vision
• Determine project human resource needs for the audio group with the production team and audio director, follow up and foster the team on their technical development to make them progress in their careers
• Communicate and share knowledge and experiences with other leads (internal or within Ubisoft) to ensure the effectiveness of the audio community and its evolution within the group
• Coach team members to foster their development so that they progress in their careers
• Supervise the work of the audio team from the artistic and technical perspectives by providing individual feedback and/or actively participate to group audio reviews to ensure that the team’s work meets quality standard and remains in line with the audio vision
Qualifications / Academical background:
• Bachelor’s degree in music or audio or professional training in audio
• Computer science training an asset
• At least eight years’ experience in audio production for video games
• Delivery of over three AAA games as part of a production team
Skills and Knowledge:
• Strong ability of problem solving, artistic vision “translation” and ability to challenge
• Strong communication skills with various people (art / tech / prod / etc., sound designers junior and seniors, etc.), pleased to work in team
• Wwise and audio post process plugins mastering, performance optimization strong knowledge, knowledge of the audio engines available on the market is an asset
• Experience in Vehicle sonorization would be an asset
• Organization skills, rigorous, autonomous, ability to plan and to step back to anticipate needs and risks
• Technical curiosity, creativity
• Ability to provide constructive feedback
• Resilient to stress and able to work with tight deadlines
• Ability to quickly learn and master new softwares
• Extensive knowledge of DAW tools (e.g. Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper)
• Solid knowledge of studio audio equipment and the research process
• Ability to communicate a vision
• Extensive musical knowledge as a musician and/or composer
• Candidates must provide some sort of portfolio/demo reel.
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Blizzard Entertainment’s Cinematic Sound Department is seeking a talented Producer with post-production experience to provide support for multiple Blizzard Entertainment franchises. As a Producer, you’ll be tasked with an array of duties spawning across multiple projects and disciplines.
You will have a strong technical background in audio, music and video post-production pipelines as well as project management. The position will work closely with the Senior Cinematic Audio Producer to interface with picture editors, cinematic directors, producers, and sound supervisors, to support a variety of content for varying projects that includes promotional media, web videos, trailers, logos, inward-facing content, etc. Excellent written and verbal communication skill-sets, in addition to proven interpersonal skills as you must be able to interact well with other departments and a multitude of clients.
You should be comfortable working under tight deadlines, have strong organizational and time management skills and comfortable taking direction. You are easily adaptable to shifting priorities, and able to work with equal effectiveness, both solo and as part of a project team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Receive projects / tasks from the music director and/or audio producer and see them through production.
• Oversee, track, and manage project resources to ensure projects are completed on schedule and are of top quality
• Facilitate communication with other producers, sound designers, voice directors, composers, and audio / video technicians
• Maintain clear notes in meetings / reviews to send out immediately after and depicts clear action items.
• Contribute to a positive and constructive work environment.
• Roughly 5 years’ industry experience in a video game or post production setting with a minimum of 3 AAA shipped titles or equivalent film/television credits
• Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience
• Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite including Microsoft Project
• Solid understanding of project management methodologies and budgeting
• Experience in running large quantities of assets and complex project timeline
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Able to work well with others in a diverse and fast-paced environment
• Experience facilitating teams and delivering products on time
• Able to facilitate and mediate between members of the development and support teams
• Strong ownership and responsibility for the work they are responsible for
• Persistent self-motivation and initiative
• Familiarity with Blizzard Games and Cinematics, as well as the Blizzard “sonic brand”
• Expert knowledge of Shotgun for tracking production sound assets
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
You are a team player, game audio expert, and professional audio engineer who is prepared to create outstanding experiences in virtual reality with cutting edge sound design. You are passionate about your craft, eager to learn, and capable of managing and delivering AAA quality assets on schedule. You have an open mind, embrace a team mentality, and are strongly inspired by sound for games, motion pictures, simulation, and new technologies.
• Work with creative and technical leads to deliver an iconic sonic identity
• Dialogue, Foley, sound effects, and field recording
• Sound effects and voice over design using unique recordings and pre-existing libraries
• Sound effects, music, and dialogue editing and scripting
• Audio implementation into game engine with middleware
• Asset and task management using source control and technical documentation
• Maintain and improve the audio pipeline for current and future projects
• 3+ years game audio experience with at least one shipped AAA credit. Experience with spatial audio and or virtual reality a major plus.
• Mastery of recording, sound design, and mixing tools and processes for games. Pro Tools and Reaper mastery a major plus.
• Technical expertise with Audiokinetic Wwise. Spatial audio plugins and Unreal integration experience a major plus.
• Experience in Unreal Engine Blueprints. Unreal C#/C++ and 3D math skills a major plus.
• Strong and versatile recording experience: Able to manage VO, ADR, Foley, sound effects, and field recording sessions.
• Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
*Applicants may be requested to complete an offsite test.