We came across 4 interesting jobs at Avalanche, Sumo, Ubisoft Shanghai, and EA Audioworks – and they’re looking for a Contract Senior Sound Designer and Contract Sound Designers, one with a specificity in droid and alien sounds. Happy job hunting!
Location: New York City, NY, USA
Avalanche Studios is currently looking to contract a Sound Designer to work on the development of a AAA game title in NYC. The main focus and majority of time will be spent creating and implementing audio assets utilizing Fmod and our proprietary game engine and tools. The ideal candidate is comfortable in a team environment and able to deliver compelling sound design for an original IP. In addition to the other sound designers and audio programmer in the department, you’ll work side by side with game developers of all disciplines (e.g., UI designers, vehicle designers, animators, etc) to provide larger than life sounding effects for an open world sandbox environment. This is a temporary contract role. All applicants are required to work onsite in New York.
• Creating sound events within Fmod Studio
• Collaborating with sound designers and other devs to design and create audio systems
• Test and refine existing systems and audio events to increase processing efficiency
• Tagging animations with sound
• Passion for audio
• Minimum 2 years game industry experience
• Solid grasp of DAW topologies (Pro Tools, Reaper, Cubendo, etc) with an expertise in at least one DAW
• Good grasp of basic principles of sound design (EQ, frequency based texture layering, dynamic control, etc)
• Ability to create impactful sound design with both abstract and concrete approaches
• Experience with current middleware audio engines (Wwise, Fmod Studio, Unreal, etc) with expertise in at least one
• Familiarity with Fmod Studio
• Comfortable on Windows OS
• Expertise in Fmod Studio
• Expertise in Reaper
• Familiarity with analog and virtual synth technology
• Experience with UI sound design
Location: Sheffield, UK
Sumo Digital are seeking a talented Audio Designer with a passion for creating world class audio content to join the team on an unannounced AAA console title. This is an incredible opportunity to join our dedicated audio team to produce outstanding audio on one of our most exciting projects yet. You’ll be working alongside enthusiastic designers creating and implementing original SFX using our in house library and field recordings as well as helping to source and record new material.
This is a fixed term role for 8 months based in-house at our Sheffield studio. Contractor/freelance proposals would be considered but would have to be in-house rather than remote.
• Create AAA standard, original SFX using a range of sound design methods and techniques
• Have an in-depth understanding of Wwise middleware
• Represent audio interests within cross-discipline feature groups
• Work closely with our talented Audio Team to deliver AAA audio for our games
• Full cycle work experience as an Audio Designer on at least 2 shipped AAA titles
• Good knowledge of field and studio recording
• Demonstrable sound design knowledge
• Working experience with current gen console development/production
• Ability to work to tight deadlines
• An understanding of current developments in interactive audio
• Advanced working knowledge of Wwise middleware
• Experienced Nuendo user
• Experience working in sound to picture
• Comfortable running dialogue sessions
• Demonstrated skill with Multichannel sound design
• Familiarity with Foley recording
• Experience with applying musical knowledge to the design and implementation interactive music systems
• Working experience of creating UE4 Blueprints or similar visual scripting
Sumo Digital is one of the UK’s most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more. Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces – all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Company: Ubisoft Shanghai
Location: Shanghai, China
Ubisoft Shanghai is currently seeking a short-term Senior Audio Designer.
Be a part of the most exciting and innovating video game company in China. Come to work in Shanghai, an amazing city renowned as “Paris of the East”. Together with a team of multi-national professionals equipped with the cutting-edge technologies, you can be assured of an experience that is both aspirational and fulfilling. By working in Shanghai studio, you will also be offered with an array of career development opportunities, an abundant training resources, and moreover, a stimulating and creative work environment. If you’re looking for this kind of job opportunity, you’ll find it here at Ubisoft Shanghai. Join us for an exciting adventure and make great games!
• Conception, realization and final rendering the audio in game
• Working with the team to secure the high quality audio deliverables on time
• Following and developing the intentions from Audio Director/Producer
• Report to Audio director/Producer
Qualification & Technical Competencies:
• College degree in related field preferred
• At least 8 years sound design experience with credits of successful project(s)
• Can full-timely onsite work in Shanghai studio for at least 5 months
• Solid skills in audio recording, processing and mixing (Pro Tools is essential to master)
• Capability of creating/editing sound track efficiently for video clips following director’s intentions
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills
• Commitment to personal and peer development and sharing best practices
• A passion for creating and playing video games
• Familiarity with a variety of audio middleware application
• Familiarity with audio specifications of vary game platforms
• Dialogue & Field Recording experience
• Musical proficiency
• Knowledgeable in entertainment industry in terms of video games, movies, TV series, music
Optional But Advanced Skills:
• Basic programming skill with C, C++
• Experienced skill with scripts (Python, Lua, etc.)
• Ability to implementation basic programming algorithm
• Familiarity with Max/MSP (or Csound, Pd, etc.) , knowledge about audio programming and software DSP
Ubisoft is a leading creator, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and services, with a rich portfolio of world-renowned brands, including Assassin’s Creed, Just Dance, Tom Clancy’s video game series, Rayman, Far Cry and Watch Dogs. The teams throughout Ubisoft’s worldwide network of studios and business offices are committed to delivering original and memorable gaming experiences across all popular platforms, including consoles, mobile phones, tablets and PCs. For the 2016-17 fiscal year Ubisoft generated sales of €1,460 million.
Created in 1996, Ubisoft Shanghai studio, is a vibrant and exciting place where our 400+ talents get opportunities to either co-develop great AAA blockbuster games, create cutting-edge online games or produce fun mobile games.
Company: EA Audioworks
Location: Redwood City, CA, USA
Audioworks is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Audio Artist who can make an immediate contribution to our team designing sounds for aliens, droids and other Star Wars characters. This successful candidate must be able to work with and audio team for a specific project(s). The individual should have core experience in select phases of audio design and production, in at least in every key component – sound design, music, voice production, and implementation. This candidate will work within the Audioworks team and should have a basic understanding of game development. The ideal candidate will have a passion for video games, with an overwhelming drive to create a world class audio experience. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the Star Wars franchise, with an overwhelming drive to create a world class audio experience. They must be a strong problem-solver and an effective communicator with broad game-creation and sound creation skills.
• Creating quality audio for video games
• Submit final audio files on or before required deadlines
• Submit EQ and mastering of game music, sound effects or speech for audio review
• Interactive element tuning (such as XML files)
• Quality control review of project(s)
• Sound design of source elements and/or speech editing, naming and file organization
• Audio post production for in-game video content
• Minimum of four years game audio and/or post-production experience with experience developing sounds for aliens, robots, sci-fi characters strongly preferred
• Is proficient in using game development tools, technology and pipelines(Wwise, FMOD)
• Is comfortable with modern audio creation equipment, software and recording techniques, with a level of proficiency in at least one DAW
• Solid knowledge of PC and Mac hardware and software
• Exceptional communication and problem solving skills
• Good creative and technical thinker
• Works well as part of a team
• Strong artistic and creative sensibilities
Audioworks is an award winning team creating audio assets for titles within EA STUDIOS. Through uniting our creative talents and technical expertise, Audioworks is driving industry leading audio through partnership, professionalism, expertise, innovation and uncompromising quality. There are many exciting projects underway in our studios and we produce progressive audio assets for in-game products from multiple studio locations.