We came across 4 interesting jobs at NetherRealm, Roblox, The University of Colorado, and Rebellion – and they’re looking for an Associate Sound Designer, Senior Audio Engineer, Associate Professor of Recording Arts, and Junior Sound Editor. Happy job hunting!
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
WB Games Inc. seeks an Associate Sound Designer for the NetherRealm Audio Department. The Associate Audio Designer works closely with the Director of Audio and the senior audio staff to design, develop and implement audio elements. The Associate Audio Designer typically works on one product at a time, but may be required to support additional smaller projects from time to time. There is NO music composition associated with this job.
• Editing and Creation of sound elements:
• Record, edit, clean and process character voices and dialog to the highest professional standards.
• Create compelling, original sound effects using multi-track software and audio processing plug-ins.
• Record sound sources in the field as needed.
• Authoring sounds using Wwise.
• Implementation of sound using UE3-based tools:
– Sound effects
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Experience cutting, cleaning, editing, processing and tracking dialog files.
• Experience with modern audio-post software such as Nuendo, Reaper, Sound Forge, Vegas, Pro Tools, VST, TDM, and RTAS.
• Some experience with audio authoring (Wwise, fmod) and game implementation techniques (emitters, animation notifies, scripting etc.).
• Some experience in designing creative, nuanced sound effects.
• Some experience working in a team environment, providing and receiving feedback.
• Direct experience designing and implementing video game audio.
• Degree in audio-related field.
• Field recording: gear, techniques.
• Game scripting
Warner Bros. has been entertaining audiences for more than 90 years through the world’s most-loved characters and franchises. Warner Bros. employs people all over the world in a wide variety of disciplines. We’re always on the lookout for energetic, creative people to join our team.
NetherRealm: The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room!
Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
We are looking to increase the immersiveness of games on the Roblox platform. As a Senior Audio Engineer you will make the Roblox soundscape the best it can be. You will build and deliver on a plan to harness the creativity of user-generated games and apply industry-leading algorithms and methods to envelop the player in something that’s amazing, no matter whether the target platform is mobile, desktop, console or VR.
• Experienced in immersive interactive audio: Many years of working with interactive and physically based audio, generally in a gaming environment
• Fluent in signal processing: You understand human hearing modeling, physical modeling, and ad-hoc audio algorithms
• Good at systems level C++ programming: Pointers, templates, and raw blocks of memory are tools to write high-performance code, not your enemies
• Eager to learn: Able to adapt to a dynamic-everything environment where pre-computation isn’t possible
• Self-sufficient: Experienced in working with internal and external stakeholders to deliver projects that keep working once they’re done
• A leader: Comfortable in defining and championing a plan to improve audio capabilities over time, and marshal others to your cause
• Engine/platform oriented: You might have helped develop a game engine from scratch, or done other similar projects
• Resource minded: You have probably worked in alternate and constrained platforms like consoles or mobile devices
• Develop engine code that generates awesome audio for all user-created games on the Roblox platform
• Select the right balance of human models, physical models, and ad-hoc algorithms to achieve the best outcome for each use case
• Carry the torch for the future of audio in user-generated games
• Optimize audio implementations to conserve battery on mobile phones while being amazingly realistic on high end platforms
• Self-organize and take ownership of project throughout its full lifecycle
• Find out how Roblox is special and how you can harness that to deliver awesome audio environments using industry-leading techniques across all platforms
Perks & Benefits:
• Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
• Roblox Admin badge for your avatar, and rockstar status with our community
• Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
• Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
• Fitness reimbursement program
• 401K program
• Pre-tax commuter program
• Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 62 million players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. Roblox was ranked #37 in the Consumer Products and Services category for overall revenue in Inc. Magazine’s 2016 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies in America.
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million monthly active players come to Roblox to immerse themselves in any game or experience imaginable. Players can create the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today, more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all created by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
Company: The University of Colorado
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
The Music and Entertainment Industry Studies Department (MEIS) in the College of Arts & Media at the University of Colorado Denver (UCD) seeks a full-time Associate or Assistant Professor in Recording Arts. The candidate for this position will be able to teach one or any of the following topics in recording arts: Audio for Video Games, Audio for Virtual and Augmented Reality, Surround Sound, Audio Post-production, Live Sound, Music Production, Music Synthesis, and Digital Audio. The candidate must possess the ability to teach both graduate and undergraduate courses. The position will begin in August 2018. The successful candidate will have a teaching load of five courses per academic year (anticipated to be 3/2), with Research/Creative work and Service components. This position is a 40/40/20 split between research, teaching and service. To achieve tenure, the candidate will be expected to develop and maintain an active national or international record of exhibition and professional accomplishments.
The Music and Entertainment Industry Studies Department in the College of Arts & Media at the University of Colorado Denver is ranked as one of the top music business programs in the country by Billboard, the Department of Music and Entertainment Industry Studies (MEIS) lives up to its name with state-of-the-art recording studios, private teaching studios and cutting-edge technology. This department is designed to prepare students for a variety of alternative careers in the arts and entertainment industries through its intense focus on commercial music styles.
• Master’s Degree in Audio Production or related field
• Successful professional experience in the field of Audio
• Knowledge of digital methods of instruction, particularly Pro Tools
• Ability to teach and work with a diverse student body
• Ability to maintain a climate that is collegial, that respects and values diversity, that treats faculty, staff and learners fairly and that enables creativity and innovation
• Two years of teaching experience
• Experience in Audio for Video Games
• 3-5 years of teaching experience
• Record of scholarly or creative work
• Capacity to develop educational/research/creative activities at a Research 1 institution in an urban environment
Our students have access to:
• Five state-of-the-art recording studios
• 16-station piano lab the most up to date applications
• 12 student practice suites
• King Academic & Performing Arts Center – 500-seat concert hall, 200-seat recital hall and multiple production studios
The University of Colorado Denver is comprised of the Downtown Denver Campus and the Anschutz Medical Campus. The consolidated university confers more graduate degrees each year than any other higher education institution in Colorado, offers over 130 degree programs in 13 schools and colleges, and brings in nearly $400 million annually in sponsored research.
The Denver Campus is located downtown, next to a vibrant commercial and cultural district, three major professional sports venues, the Denver Convention Center, and city and state government oﬃces. The Denver Campus alone has an enrollment of over 15,000 learners, and has a highly diverse student population.
The College of Arts & Media, located on the Downtown Denver campus, offers undergraduate degrees in Music in the following areas: Recording Arts, Music Business, Performance and Singer/Songwriting. It also offers M.S. degrees in Music in two areas, Recording Arts, and the rapidly growing field of Audio Forensics. The College of Arts and Media also offers undergraduate degrees in Film and Television, Photography, Digital Design and Digital Animation.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services: http://www.cu.edu/employee-services. The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. First review of applications will begin in early January 2018.
Posting Contact Email: david (dot) bondelevitch (at) ucdenver (dot) edu
Location: Oxford, UK
Rebellion is currently looking for a Junior Sound Editor with a passion for sound recording and post-production for TV, film and video. This is a rare opportunity to join a successful independent studio with our own in-house audio-visual facilities. Responsibilities will include location and studio sound recording, post-production editing and mixing, and livestream sound. The successful candidate will also be expected to assist on other audio-related projects in production as required.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford studio. We are open to both permanent or fixed-term employment but not freelance, agencies or remote working. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Junior-level, internship, or work placement industry experience, of location and studio sound recording (specifically dialogue) & post-production sound editing / tracklay / mix.
Please provide a show reel demonstrating your post-production sound experience.
• Report to the audio lead and project producers regarding any required sound recording and editing work
• Record and edit high quality sound for various in-house projects; specifically broadcast quality dialogue, both on location and in the studio.
• Perform various sound editing treatments including; EQ, mixing, adding DSP effects, normalization and sound balancing, for syncing to video.
• Carry out audio department operations; setting up, troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, archiving recorded material, engineering recording sessions etc. On location and in studio.
Keep up-to-date on current technical production trends in audio post-production, and how they can benefit Rebellion Productions
• Collaborate productively within multi-disciplined project team environments, communicating ideas and issues clearly
• Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
Skills & Attributes:
• Outstanding creative and technical sound recording and post-production skills, strong attention to detail and excellent work ethic
• Excellent understanding of high-quality sound recording (specifically dialogue), on location and in studio.
• Excellent understanding of high-quality post-production audio editing, processing, and mastering
• Very good understanding of EQ, dynamic range, compression techniques and multi-channel audio formats
• Experience with professional sound editing tools such as (or similar to) Reaper, Sound Forge, Pro Tools, and a wide range of plug ins, etc.
• Excellent initiative, self-motivation, communication, organisational and problem solving skills, as well as team-working and the ability to accept and follow direction
• A genuine interest in sound recording and editing for TV, film, and video