We came across 4 interesting jobs at Wargaming, Rebellion, Respawn, and Riot – and they’re looking for a Sound Designer, Junior Sound Editor, Senior Sound Designer, and Audio Coordinator. Happy job hunting!
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Wargaming Seattle is looking for an experienced video game Sound Designer to join our team. Our ideal candidate is highly creative and technical, with an extraordinary work ethic. The primary focus of this role is authoring and implementing incredible game audio, but you will also be expected to help design game audio systems, audio project structures, and source acquisitions. Applicants are required to submit an audio reel along with a resume. An additional audio test may be required.
What you will do:
• Author industry-best sound effects and elegantly implement them into the game
• Collaborate with the Audio Team to envision, map out, and actualize bleeding-edge audio systems
• Iterate on systems and mix until our game delivers a legendary audio experience
• Participate in field recordings, Foley sessions, audio summits, and other excursions
• Coordinate with the rest of the development team, and act as an exemplary representative of the Wargaming Audio Team at large
• Demonstrable technical prowess regarding the implementation of game assets, and building audio systems
• Excellent time management skills, and the ability to actualize sounds in the game in a timely fashion
• An upbeat, positive attitude is essential to this role… we’re developing kickass games here
• Must love/live/breathe game audio and maintain a highly-dedicated work ethic with attention to detail
• Consummate knowledge of the game development cycle and standard development tools
• Mastery level experience using Wwise
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of software engineering and scripting
• Contributed to a shipped AAA title’s development from start to finish
• At least 5 years of experience in AAA game development
• Experience in large-scale Foley and field recording
• Strong understanding of the principles of acoustics, psychoacoustics, and mixing
• Musical talent a plus
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to jobs-seattle (at) wargaming (dot) net.
Location: Oxford, UK
Rebellion is currently looking for a Junior Sound Editor with a passion for sound recording and post-production for TV, film and video. This is a rare opportunity to join a successful independent studio with our own in-house audio-visual facilities. Responsibilities will include location and studio sound recording, post-production editing and mixing, and livestream sound. The successful candidate will also be expected to assist on other audio-related projects in production as required.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford studio. We are open to both permanent or fixed-term employment but not freelance, agencies or remote working. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
• Junior-level, internship, or work placement industry experience, of location and studio sound recording (specifically dialogue) & post-production sound editing / tracklay / mix.
• Please provide a show reel demonstrating your post-production sound experience.
• Report to the audio lead and project producers regarding any required sound recording and editing work.
• Record and edit high quality sound for various in-house projects; specifically broadcast quality dialogue, both on location and in the studio.
• Perform various sound editing treatments including; EQ, mixing, adding DSP effects, normalization and sound balancing, for syncing to video.
• Carry out audio department operations; setting up, troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, archiving recorded material, engineering recording sessions etc. On location and in studio.
• Keep up-to-date on current technical production trends in audio post-production, and how they can benefit Rebellion Productions.
• Collaborate productively within multi-disciplined project team environments, communicating ideas and issues clearly.
• Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines.
Skills & Attributes:
• Outstanding creative and technical sound recording and post-production skills, strong attention to detail and excellent work ethic.
• Excellent understanding of high-quality sound recording (specifically dialogue), on location and in studio.
• Excellent understanding of high-quality post-production audio editing, processing, and mastering
• Very good understanding of EQ, dynamic range, compression techniques and multi-channel audio formats.
• Experience with professional sound editing tools such as (or similar to) Reaper, Sound Forge, Pro Tools, and a wide range of plug ins, etc.
• Excellent initiative, self-motivation, communication, organisational and problem solving skills, as well as team-working and the ability to accept and follow direction.
• A genuine interest in sound recording and editing for TV, film, and video.
Company: Respawn Entertainment
Location: Chatsworth, UK
Respawn Entertainment is an independent game development studio that was founded in 2010 by former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises. We have since shipped Titanfall and Titanfall 2 to critical acclaim, and are currently hiring for our Star Wars™, Titanfall, and Unannounced VR game development teams. Our motto is gameplay first, and the opportunity to create groundbreaking AAA games with some of the best developer talent in the industry awaits our future team members.
We’re looking for a highly skilled Senior Sound Designer who will embrace our culture and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players. We’re picturing someone who is passionate about the Star Wars™ Universe, with an appreciation for audience immersion and a knack for making worlds come alive. If this sounds like you, we’re looking forward to seeing your resume!
What you’ll do…
• Work closely with the Audio Lead to help shape our game’s audio vocabulary, style, and standards.
• Design and implement unique and compelling sound assets for the game.
• Create top notch audio that will immerse the player into the game’s world (including effects, ambient, Foley, creature sounds, etc.)
• Adhere to audio schedule and deliver assets on time.
• Envision artistic audio design, work with game designers to create audio that fits with their vision.
• Work with Audio, Design, Animation, VFX and Engineering Leads to ensure that audio works in-game and matches vision for specific levels as well as overall design of game.
• Edit and implement audio assets such as dialogue, sound effects, etc. directly into game engine (Unreal 4.)
• Troubleshoot and help fix audio bugs.
• Help to mentor other sound designers and lead by example.
• This person will not be responsible for composing music for the game.
Ideally, you will have…
• 5+ years’ experience in a Senior Sound Designer role for video games, film, etc. Record of success creating sound for major titles desired.
• Shipped game(s) as a Senior Sound Designer required (from concept to ship.)
• Previous mentorship/leadership experience within an audio team.
• Significant platform game audio experience a must. Shipped AAA games a plus.
• Strong, demonstrable audio design and editing skills.
• Experience implementing sound into game engine.
• Strong experience with audio design from scratch, field recording, Foley, as well as dialogue recording, processing and editing.
• Mastery of major audio software packages such as Wwise, ProTools, Nuendo and Sound Forge.
Strong audio technical expertise. Programming or scripting proficiency is a plus.
• Excellent communication skills.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude.
• Passion for audio.
• Passion for games.
Benefits & Perks…
• Here’s a peek at some of what we offer:
• Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life and AD&D insurance benefits.
• Flexible Spending Accounts for health and child care.
• 401K with company match and no vesting period.
• Employee Assistance Plan (EAP).
• Relocation assistance.
• Paid vacation, post-project & holiday office closures, and sick days.
• Company-sponsored team events: movie screenings, industry gatherings, and game launch parties to name a few.
• Fun office parties throughout the year for employees, friends, and family.
• Spacious modern campus with open work spaces and lots of daylight.
• Game room with a pool table, ping pong, foosball, arcade and tabletop games.
• Fully stocked kitchens with fresh fruit, breakfast, snacks, and more.
• Convenient meal order service for on-site lunch deliveries.
• State of the art on-site gym with 24/7 access.
• On-site yoga classes, massages, and car washes available.
• A variety of interest groups and outdoor activities to join with other Respawn Employees: marathons, hikes, biking, and soccer among others.
• Friendly, caring co-workers and management.
Company: Riot Games
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Audio Coordinator, you’ll play a dynamic role on a cross-functional discipline, with the opportunity to grow in sound design craft. You’ll help with defining and executing new pipelines and processes, making sure that the audio discipline is supported, and maintaining relationships with our vendors. We’re looking for someone who is highly organized and is passionate about becoming a sound designer themselves.
• Experienced: You have a background in sound design or similar media, and have a strong passion to continue a pursuit of that.
• Gamer: Gaming is both what you do, and who you are. You never need to find an excuse to play games, it’s a natural part of what you do.
• Approachable: you listen to others and are sensitive to any communication style; others trust you and feel comfortable coming to you with all the info, so any rising problems can be identified and tackled before they spiral into fiery vortices of bad vibrations
• Comfortable with ambiguity: when changes are made, you keep a cool head and fight on, even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because challenge motivates you to evolve and innovate
• A facilitator: you efficiently and effectively keep projects on track by aligning the right people, materials, and support needed to get the job done; your well-organized file system facilitates quick action when work situations break bad and you help organize and run meetings
• Passionate about Sound Design: you are in the know about audio gear and needs. You’re able and excited to talk shop about all things audio.
• Ambitious & Driven: you don’t wait for opportunity to knock – you kick the door off its hinges to grab it first; armed with a five, ten, and hundred-year plan (subject to change, of course), you’re constantly seeking the next challenge that’ll level up your skills
• Manage and define pipelines for the audio discipline in order to allow the designers to stay focused on design
• Be responsible for ordering and maintaining gear and software for the audio discipline
• Work with teams across Riot on emergent logistical needs that could block delivery of awesome to our players and product teams
• Own & facilitate team outings, events, knowledge share meetings, and other audio centered events and gatherings
• Maintain the discipline sound library and documentation, including tagging, archiving, backup, and guides
• Hone your sound design skills with the intention of growing into a designer in the future.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.