We came across four new interesting audio job opportunities at Reflections, Sumo Digital, Riot Games and Peak – and they’re looking for Lead Audio Designers, a Sound Designer and a Voice Over Producer.
Best of luck!
– Asbjoern and Zdravko
Company: Reflections / Ubisoft
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft’s international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG “The Division” as well as the adventure platformer “Grow Home”. With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure ‘Watch Dogs’, MMO racer “The Crew” and the latest instalment in the world’s No.1 dance game franchise ‘Just Dance 2015′ Reflections’ objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Plan, distribute and supervise project audio work whilst ensuring that the team works well together and resolving any issues that could hinder the team’s attainment of production objectives.
• Set out the sound design with the core team in the project design phase;
• Realise the impact of the targets set by project managers in terms of workload and resources when designing the scope and deliverables or processing project changes and implement problem-solving strategies for the team whenever necessary;
• Organise and coordinate the activities and resources required as part of the production process at all project phases;
• Challenge team members whenever necessary to ensure that all technical decisions are sound and based on facts;
• Provide visibility for the team on the progress of the deliverables (planned and actual deliverables) and implement solutions to avoid gaps;
• Understand the game’s technical and artistic constraints and important aspects (story, gameplay, vision) to direct/coach the team;
• Approve/ensure the approval of the work carried out by team members at the end of each project phase (iterative process);
• Mobilise the work team by regularly gauging team morale, determining the root causes of issues and implementing relevant solutions;
• Coach employees on how to carry out their work to foster their development by helping to determine development activities (training, COOP, etc.) that meet the needs of the team and team members;
Implement or optimise work methods and processes for the team that are adapted to project needs;
• Communicate general project information to update members on the progress of the game and other working units and ensure that relevant information is relayed to the immediate supervisor;
• Carry out performance assessments throughout the year and the annual performance assessments of team members and determine and manage personal shortcomings and conflicts;
• Select team members in collaboration with the Talent Acquisition Manager and the immediate supervisor (read resumes, interview applicants and test external and internal applicants);
• Ensure that team has the support required (MD, hardware, TD, documents, tools) to ensure that members are able to work effectively;
• Support collaboration and knowledge sharing within the team and with teams from other projects;
• Carry out all other related task.
Skills and Knowledge
• Knowledge of project management;
• Knowledge of the other game production working units;
• Database knowledge an asset (JIRA, Perforce, etc.);
• Excellent knowledge of Pro Tools, Sound Forge and MIDI;
• Excellent musical knowledge as a musician and/or composer;
• Knowledge of current engines an asset.
• Leadership skills;
• Ability to delegate;
• Time and priority management skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Sense of initiative.
• Substantial working experience in audio for video games or other relevant experience;
• Bachelor’s degree in music, audio or post production or other relevant training;
• Must have delivered over three games, including at least one on a next-gen console
Salary: Competitive + Relocation.
Closing date: 1st December 2016.
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.
Company: SUMO Sheffield
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Sumo Digital is one of the UK’s most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 230 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham has recently opened with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2016 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are seeking a talented Lead Audio Designer with a passion for creating world class audio content to lead the Audio team on an unannounced AAA console title. This is an incredible opportunity to join our dedicated audio team to produce outstanding audio on one of our most exciting projects yet. You’ll be leading and working alongside enthusiastic designers creating and implementing original SFX using our in house library and field recordings as well as helping to source and record new material.
• Create AAA standard, original SFX using a range of sound design methods and techniques
• Have an in-depth understanding of Wwise middleware.
• Represent audio interests within cross-discipline feature groups
• Design and Prototype
• Set the direction and vision for the game
• Identify needs for audio and the team
• Organize and Review the team’s work
• Ensure that the game audio is fit for commercial release
• Deliver content on schedule and within specifications
• Work closely with our talented Audio Team to deliver AAA audio for our games.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• Full cycle work experience as an Audio Designer on at least 4 shipped AAA titles
• Good knowledge of field and studio recording
• Experience in integrating and mixing audio for games
• Be solution orientated
• Self Motivated and organized
• Extensive sound design knowlege
• Working experience with current gen console development/production
• Ability to work to tight deadlines
• An understanding of current developments in interactive audio
• Advanced working knowledge of Wwise middleware
• Working knowledge of UE4 Blueprints and Wwise/Unreal application.
• Experience of running large audio teams
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experienced Nuendo user
• Experience working in sound to picture
• Comfortable running dialogue sessions
• Demonstrated skill with Multichannel sound design
• Familiarity with Foley recording and game application
• Experience with applying implementation interactive music system
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendry annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces – all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766
Location: London, United Kingdom
Peak is looking for a talented and passionate sound designer with experience working in game development to help the team on a freelance basis.
Launched in 2014, Peak is the market leading brain training app and has been developed to challenge your memory, focus, mental agility and more with fun, entertaining games. Peak is based in central London and was founded by entrepreneurs from Google, Amazon, Playfish/EA and academia with a mission to revolutionise education and self improvement using mobile technology, gamification and science.
• Creation and tuning of in-game sound effects – from raw wave asset creation through to tuning in-game behaviour and mixing.
• Working closely with game designers to agree and then refine audio systems.
• Proven ability to create and then tune extremely high-quality audio assets from scratch, based on a tight creative brief.
• Keen understanding of how audio content can communicate information and help create an atmosphere.
• Understanding of granular synthesis and other procedural audio techniques.
• Good knowledge of file formats and compression to be able to deliver high quality assets in a small file size (Peak is available for iOS and Android)
• Knowledge of recording techniques and technologies – e.g. microphones, audio recording equipment, etc.
• Applicants should have demonstrable experience working on published games and should include a showreel demonstrating examples of their personal contribution when they apply.
Company: Riot Games
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Voice Over Producer, you’ll lead our voice over development with process definition and ambitious improvements, while keeping multiple projects on-track and stakeholders informed. This is a six month contract with the potential to turn into a full-time gig. Drawing on your production and team leadership expertise, you’ll build and execute development plans that include milestones and deliverables but are flexible enough to allow room for risk and change. You’ll scope and lead efforts to improve the tools, the technology, and the efficiency of voice over production. Your experience in servant leadership, humble confidence, and social grace will help you mentor teams as you partner with fellow leaders to foster an open, transparent development environment.
• A hardcore gamer: your passion for video games is what drove you to the industry; you love games and take play seriously
• Educated and experienced: you’ve earned your bachelor’s or you have at least four years’ of experience working with voice over development for games teams in an Agile environment as a Producer, Agile Coach, Project Manager, Development Manager, or Engineering Manager
• Dev savvy: you’re fluent in—and an avid advocate of—development best practices, including Scrum, Kanban and Lean Product Management; with your process steward’s toolbox in hand, you take a holistic view of the product development lifecycle and adapt process and apply tools accordingly
• A delivery-focused leader: you guide teams down the right paths even if they’re unpopular or difficult to traverse to ensure they provide optimal value; your unshakeable confidence and cool head makes others look towards you when sirens are blaring and all hell is generally breaking loose
• Detail-oriented: whether you’re planning a milestone, giving a presentation or shooting off a quick email you look at work under a microscope and hold yourself to a consistent high bar
• A motivational mentor: you keep teams focused on results, growth, and actionable feedback; you’re emotionally attuned to others and are open about your own feelings, which helps you resolve conflicts quickly, comfortably, and respectfully
• Ensure articulation and alignment around best practices and what good looks like for League of Legends VO
• Recommend, implement, and continuously assess the team’s current situation and adapt planning tools, Agile methodologies, and communication channels to ensure successful, sustainable delivery
• Create transparency and predictability via lightweight processes such as story mapping, roadmaps, sprint plans, burn-downs, cycle times, value stream maps, and release reports
• Work with product teams to forecast and plan requests, creating visibility around progress and challenges
• Regularly assess the team’s maturity, health, and composition, relentlessly striving for team cohesion and delivery excellence
• Work with audio and localization to ensure visibility and ongoing optimization from start to finish of voice over development
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.