We spotted 8 interesting jobs at Oculus Research, Blizzard Entertainment, Amazon, Ubisoft, Playground Games, Ubisoft, Sony Interactive (Playstation), and Electronic Arts.
They’re looking for a Research Audio Software Engineer, Sound Engineer, Technical Sound Designer, Audio Director, Audio Designer, Technical Designer – Audio Scripting, and an Audio Artist. Quite a lot of opportunities – good luck with your job hunt!
– Zdravko, Asbjoern and Adriane
Company: Oculus Research
Location: Redmond, Washington
You’re a software engineer with a deep C/C++ skillset and a passion for working on audio technology. You’re also a digital signal processing expert with a background in real time systems such as games. You love solving novel problems from first principles. You’re always on the lookout for better, faster and smaller audio solutions. At Oculus Research you’ll build cutting-edge research prototypes that explore the future of audio in virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). Join a world-class team experimenting with bold ideas. Work alongside expert research scientists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and software engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world.
– Analyze, design, develop and debug real time VR and AR audio software for advanced prototypes and user experiences
– Collaborate in a team environment across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver software solutions
– Develop software for a variety of consumer devices, including novel microphones, speakers, AR headsets and VR headsets
– Write clean readable code, debug complex problems, prioritize ruthlessly and get things done with a high level of efficiency
– Learn constantly, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of AR/VR problem solving
– BS degree in Computer Science or related field
– 5 or more years C++ experience, including use of C++11 features
– 3 or more years MATLAB experience
– Mathematical background, including FFT and DSP development
– 5 or more years experience creating audio software for games or other real time environments
– Proven track record of professional software development, including shipping one or more products
– Problem solving and optimization ability
– Communication skills and demonstrated experience working across disciplines to drive optimal solutions
Company: Blizzard Entertainment
Location: Irvine, CA
Blizzard Entertainment’s Sound Department is looking for an exceptional Sound Engineer to work on various Blizzard Entertainment properties. The ideal candidate needs to have extensive experience with live sound mixing, as well as post production editorial and mixing. The sound engineer will work closely with various departments and the Lead Sound Supervisor on pre-recorded / live broadcast projects, engineering Voice Over sessions, editing dialog, sound effects and occasional mixing. This person should also have an outstanding ability to troubleshoot signal flow interruptions, create and modify Pro Tools templates and operate digital mixing consoles.
Interested candidates should be comfortable working under tight deadlines, has excellent organizational and time management skills, is comfortable taking direction and criticism, is easily adaptable to shifting priorities, and is able to work with equal effectiveness, both solo and as part of a project team.
This position is a Temporary position and will last approximately 3 – 6 months long.
– Proven skills with live audio mixing and microphone placement
– Experience with digital mixing consoles
– Experience with live recording (with emphasis on dialog recording)
– Experience with post-production audio mixing and mastering techniques
– Experience editing and conforming sound-to-picture
– Proficient in editing dialog
– Experience working with both commercial and proprietary audio, and implementation tools on multiple platforms and workstations, including Pro Tools
– Able to work with equal effectiveness, both solo and as part of a project team
– Experience using and troubleshooting Windows and Macintosh operating systems
– Mixing/recording experience in a broadcast environment
– Background in music production (music composition is not within the scope of this job)
– Experience with field recording equipment and techniques
*Please note this is a temp position located in our Irvine office.
To apply, please submit a PDF of your resume and a link to samples of your work that we can review.
Location: Seattle, WA
If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us. At Amazon Game Studios, you’ll have the power of Amazon Web Services’ cloud, Twitch, Amazon eCommerce, and our digital and physical media publishing infrastructure available as raw material to forge a future filled with amazing experiences for players, broadcasters and creators.
We believe that audio in games tells stories and directly influences deep emotional engagement. Amazon Game Studios is looking for a Sound Designer with very strong technical skills to create and integrate the game’s audio. You will raise the bar for the quality and originality of audio at Amazon Game Studios. You will be an acknowledged expert in sound implementation, and demonstrated ability in sound design and voice over production.
– Implement audio assets in WWISE and Lumberyard, interacting with other game systems editors and CMS, writing scripts as needed.
– Create sound effects, and voice over
– Work with the audio director to support the vision and direction for the audio in the game
– Drive high quality standard for audio throughout the game experience
– Build relationships and manage asset workflow with the rest of the team and external sound vendors
– Innovate and drive new audio features for the game and Lumberyard engine
– hipped 2+ games as Sound Designer
– High level expertise with Audiokinetic’s WWISE
– Scripting experience
– Experience with the entire audio creation process, including sound effects, voice over, music, sound implementation and audio technology
– Experience managing asset flow with external vendors
– Expertise with Field Recording Equipment and Capturing Sound Effects
– A passion for video games and the role that audio plays in player experience
– Past experience providing technical implementation for the audio team
– Scripting experience in Lua, XML and visual scripting tools
– Experience improving and optimizing proprietary audio pipelines and integration processes
– Multi player experience a plus
– Experience with Lumberyard game engine
Location: Toronto, Canada
As the Audio Director you will ensure the quality of the audio content and its integration as a gameplay element. You will supervise audio production and make certain that it is in keeping with the game vision.
The main and routine tasks of the Audio Director are to:
– Establish and document the technical and artistic audio charter based on the creative direction (reference films, games by competitors, design documents);
– Communicate the audio vision to the team and provide all necessary visual and audio documents and references needed;
– Help select the project engine to ensure that audio needs are considered by assessing existing engines, contributing to the design of the new engine (if applicable) and testing the final engine choice;
– Identify technical audio needs for the project and communicate them to the technical architect and Dare team (technology group);
– Set out the musical direction and the process to select composers, in collaboration with the creative director and sound studio;
– Design and implement audio element integration processes by working in close collaboration with programmers and technical directors to ensure proper integration;
– Determine project resource needs and set out the budget for the audio group with the producer/associate producer and follow up on the reassignments with the reassignment team, ensuring that employees are integrated with the project HR;
– Ensure that best work practices are implemented and optimized within the team to guarantee the validity and integrity of the data;
– Supervise the work of the audio team from the artistic and technical perspectives by providing individual feedback and/or organizing group audio reviews to ensure that the team’s work meets quality standard and remains in line with the audio vision;
– Coach team members to foster their artistic and technical development so that they progress in their careers;
– Communicate and share knowledge and experiences with other directors (audio, sound studio, Dare team – technology group) to ensure the effectiveness of the audio community and its evolution within the group, in collaboration with the audio trade director;
– Coordinate specific audio recording sessions to meet project needs, in collaboration with the sound studio;
– Carry out all other related tasks.
– Bachelor’s degree in music or audio or professional training in audio;
– Computer science training an asset.
– At least 5+ years’ experience in audio production for video games;
– Delivery of over 1-3 AAA games as part of a production team;
– Film or TV postproduction experience an asset.
– Extensive knowledge of DAW tools (e.g. Pro Tools, Sound forge, MIDI);
– Extensive musical knowledge as a musician and/or composer;
– Solid knowledge of studio audio equipment and the research process;
– Knowledge of the audio engines available on the market an asset.
– Ability to communicate a vision;
– Good communication skills;
– Organization skills;
– Ability to influence others;
– Excellent sense of esthetics;
– Ability to provide constructive feedback;
– Ability to quickly learn and master new software;
– Competitive Salary
– Comprehensive Benefits Package:
– Disability Insurance
– Dental Insurance
– Extended medical insurance
– (Optional) RRSP contribution
– Bonus (If Applicable)
Company: Playground Games
Location: Warwickshire, UK
In this role, you will use your talent within the field of game audio production to help shape the soundscape of our titles. You must be a team player, keen to share your own expertise and ultimately help develop those around you using your unique skillset. You should be incredibly passionate about sound design, always looking for ways to improve the sound and technology used in our games.
– Experience of working on published titles on current-gen consoles.
– Knowledge of FMOD and / or Wwise, ideally having shipped AAA games using either.
– A detailed knowledge of the most common DAWs and plugins a must.
– An incredibly keen ear for audio production detail.
– The ability to adapt to new technology and game engine tools.
– Experienced in designing and implementing simulation based audio systems.
– Location and studio based SFX recording experience.
– Excellent communication skills.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Work with the Audio team to deliver on the direction and vision of the project.
– Work with the Audio Director and Audio Lead to deliver the audio vision for each project;
– Take ownership of one or more audio features, and push these as far as possible, both creatively and technically;
– Create, integrate, and iterate audio assets to the highest quality levels;
– Build key relationships with other disciplines to deliver strong data/gameplay driven audio elements;
– Assist the Lead Audio Designer or Audio Director with any other ad hoc responsibilities.
Skills and Knowledge
– Strong sound design knowledge and skills;
– Highly skilled use of sound design tools (such as DAW, plug-ins, synthesis techniques etc.);
– Strong gameplay instincts;
– Comprehensive understanding of at least one audio engine (such as Wwise, FMOD, XACT etc.);
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
– Motivated and pragmatic;
– Bachelor’s degree in audio production or audio engineering or other relevant training;
– 2 – 3 years’ experience working within Audio Design, preferably within games, or other relevant experience.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 2nd June 2017
Closing date for applications: 2nd July 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.
Company: Sony Interactive (Playstation)
Location: Playa Vista, CA
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh.
Come join the award-winning God of War development team! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a Technical Designer to implement game audio, and assist with tools and workflow for the audio scripting team. This individual will work closely with our Level Design, Systems Design, and Combat Design teams, supporting innovative and ambitious content through solving scripting, workflow and implementation problems.
As Technical Designer, you must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with design, art, and engineering to creatively solve challenging technical problems. Help us create amazing world leading games that will set the PS4 apart from the rest!
– Work within the Audio Implementation team to script game audio to enhance the gameplay experience, across characters, combat moves, puzzles, and environments.
– Collaborate closely with sound designers, level designers, systems designers, and combat designers to support the audio needs of all game content.
– Solve problems using creative and innovative ideas.
– Create tools to optimize workflow and help the audio team iterate more efficiently.
– Identify and solve technical issues for the other designers.
– Must have shipped at least one commercial game.
– The ideal candidate is part designer and part programmer.
– Experience with LUA or other text-based scripting or programming languages.
– Experience creating tools and solving technical problems for design.
– Experience using Maya and/or 3ds Max.
– Must have completed a Computer Science and/or related degree.
– Must be friendly, assertive, and team-oriented.
– Experience designing and implementing puzzles or game scenarios preferred.
– Experience with Wwise is a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Company: Electronic Arts
Location: Redwood City, CA
At Electronic Arts we put our players first, and we’re looking for the most talented and creative game developers to help create amazing experiences for our players. Mobile is the future of our industry and our mobile team is growing fast, with studios around the world and a portfolio of blockbuster titles, EA is uniquely positioned to become the world’s #1 mobile gaming company.
Come join our exciting team as we redefine mobile development at EA. Rapid iteration, collaboration, and gameplay is how we drive innovation within EA’s beloved IPs and deliver a top 10 grossing mobile title. Our team is excited to provide awesome player experiences by pushing the envelope of what has been done at EA Mobile. Come and see for yourself!
We’re seeking a talented Audio Artist & Implementer who is eager to join us in our drive to push the limits of audio quality on mobile. You will work closely with our Engineering and Design teams to create amazing SFX and VO for characters, vehicles, and environments. We want to take our gameplay experiences to the next level and your spectacular audio expertise will help achieve that goal!
– Define and communicate the audio design vision to internal team and external partners
– Create and design in-game audio in accordance with the creative vision of the game
– Implement all audio assets in-game using internal tools and middleware solutions
– Work with engineers to define technical requirements and specifications for audio
– Identify opportunities for greater efficiency in process and workflow
– Troubleshoot and debug the game audio systems
– Large scale audio asset management
– A passion for playing and making awesome games!
– Shipped 2+ titles on Audiokinetic’s Wwise audio platform
– Demonstrable technical skills working with Wwise pipelines
– Exceptional sound design skills and strong technical audio vision
– Experienced with ProTools and associated DAW and studio work environments
– Highly motivated self-starter; capable of operating with minimal management oversight.
– Proficiency in communicating with other disciplines within the development team
– Ability to adapt and be effective in a highly dynamic and agile environment
Please provide an audio reel that demonstrates your excellent sound design work!