We came across 4 interesting jobs at Respawn, Roblox, 2K Firaxis, and EA Redwood Shores – and they’re looking for a Sound Designer, Game Audio Manager, Audio Designer, and Audio Artist. We also found two additional positions on Respawn’s Star Wars team here: For a Senior Sound Designer and for a Dialogue Lead. Happy job hunting!
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Respawn Entertainment is looking for a highly skilled Sound Designer who will embrace our culture and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players. We’re picturing someone who is passionate about the Star Wars™ Universe, with an appreciation for audience immersion and a knack for making worlds come alive. If this sounds like you, we’re looking forward to seeing your resume!
What you’ll do…
• Work closely with the Audio Lead to help shape our game’s audio vocabulary, style, and standards.
• Design and implement unique and compelling sound assets for the game.
• Create top notch audio that will immerse the player into the game’s world (including effects, ambient, Foley, creature sounds, etc.)
• Implement sounds directly into game engine (Unreal 4.)
• Adhere to audio schedule and deliver assets on time.
• Work with Audio, Design, Animation, VFX and Engineering Leads to ensure that audio works in-game and matches vision for specific levels as well as overall design of game.
• Edit and implement audio assets such as dialogue, sound effects, etc.
• Troubleshoot and help fix audio bugs.
• This person will not be responsible for composing music for the game.
Ideally, you will have…
• 3+ years’ experience in a sound design role for video games, film, etc. Record of success creating sound for major titles desired.
• Significant platform game audio experience a must. Shipped AAA games a plus.
• Strong, demonstrable audio design and editing skills.
• Experience implementing sound into game engine.
Strong experience with audio design from scratch, field recording, Foley, as well as dialogue recording, processing and editing.
• Mastery of major audio software packages such as Wwise, ProTools, Nuendo and Sound Forge.
• Strong audio technical expertise. Programming or scripting proficiency is a plus.
• Excellent communication skills.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude.
• Passion for audio.
• Passion for games.
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA game development studio that was founded in 2010 by former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises. In 2017, Respawn was acquired by Electronic Arts, a leading global interactive entertainment publisher. We have shipped Titanfall and Titanfall 2 to critical acclaim, and are currently hiring for our Star Wars™, Titanfall, and Unannounced VR game development teams. Our motto is gameplay first, and the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry awaits our future team members.
Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
Roblox is looking for a Game Audio Manager. As the Game Audio Manager, you will make the Roblox soundscape the best it can be. You will build and deliver on a plan to harness the creativity of user-generated games and apply industry-leading algorithms and methods to envelop the player in something that’s amazing, no matter whether the target platform is mobile, desktop, console or VR. If you want to leapfrog the state of the art in game audio engines and help build and lead the team that delivers interactive audio for the next ten years, you’ll be right at home within our highly skilled and rapidly growing Game Engine team.
• Experienced in immersive interactive audio: Many years of working with interactive and physically based audio, generally in a gaming environment
• Fluent in signal processing: You understand human hearing modeling, physical modeling, and ad-hoc audio algorithms
• Good at systems level C++ programming: Pointers, templates, and raw blocks of memory are tools to write high-performance code, not your enemies
• Eager to learn: Able to adapt to a dynamic-everything environment where pre-computation isn’t possible
• Self-sufficient: Experienced in working with internal and external stakeholders to deliver projects that keep working once they’re done
• A leader: Comfortable in defining and championing a plan to improve audio capabilities over time, and marshal others to your cause
• Engine/platform oriented: You might have helped develop a game engine from scratch, or done other similar projects
• Resource minded: You have probably worked on alternate and constrained platforms like consoles or mobile devices
• Develop engine code that generates awesome audio for all user-created games on the Roblox platform
• Select the right balance of human models, physical models, and ad-hoc algorithms to achieve the best outcome for each use case
• Carry the torch for the future of audio in user-generated games
• Optimize audio implementations to conserve battery on mobile phones while being amazingly realistic on high-end platforms
• Self-organize and take ownership of the project throughout its full lifecycle, with opportunities to help build a team that does the same.
• Find out how Roblox is special and how you can harness that to deliver awesome audio environments using industry-leading techniques across all platforms
You will love:
• Working on unique projects that are seen – and enjoyed – by millions of active Roblox users every day
• Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
• A rewarding 401k program
• Flexible vacation policy
• Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks (Nom nom nom.)
• Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
• Annual CalTrain Go Pass
• A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
• Rockstar status with our community (No autographs, please.)
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet in your life. The community is the heart and soul of Roblox. Over 64 million active players engage on our platform every month. How cool is that?
Roblox is not just a game company and not just a social network. We are building the future of play and ever-expanding the universe where anything is possible. We are democratizing the gaming world by inspiring people to play, socialize, create, and engage on one platform – across all devices – doing what they love. And the potential for impact that you can have at Roblox is tremendous.
Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless. Literally.
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, role-play, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Company: 2K Firaxis
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Firaxis Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled Audio Designer to help take our games to the next level. As an Audio Designer you will work closely with the Project Art Director, Lead UI Designer, Lead Producer, and Lead Designer to create compelling and original audio experiences for our games. We’re looking for someone who is excited about contributing to our unique and popular franchises and is eager to work with our experienced and award-winning audio team and development teams. We’re open to both full-time permanent positions and temporary off-site contract opportunities.
• Mixing, recording, editing, and implementation of in-game sound effects, VO, and possibly music
• Creation of all forms of Sound Design (environmental/ambience, UI sounds, creatures, VO, animation, cinematic, etc.)
• Recording VO or Scratch VO for marketing materials
• Assisting with the various out-of-house VO sessions
• 3-5 years game development experience focused on audio design
• 2 or more shipped game titles
• Significant experience with mixing, recording, editing, and implementation of sounds in a game development setting
• An understanding of the basic principles of good audio design
• A passion for audio design and making games
• Extensive knowledge of the current standards of audio design in the game industry
• Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written
• Expert knowledge of Wwise, Unreal 4, and Pro Tools or equivalent DAW
• Compositional ability is a plus
• Audio programming experience is a plus
• Ability to work off-site and provide your own gear a major plus
Company: EA Redwood Shores
Location: Redwood Shores, CA, USA
Solid experience who uses good process to deliver final quality audio either from a brief or starting with placeholder audio in software. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within technical limitations to deliver quality audio are essential. It’s also important that the candidate understands the role of audio in video games and can create final content to best effect from the players perspective.
Must have sound engineering experience (or other relevant training) and have expertise in relevant software packages, such as Logic Audio, Sound Forge, and ProTools.
• Evidence that the audio artist can create and implement final quality dialogue
• Evidence that the audio artist understands audio requirements for video games
• Evidence that the audio artist can work to a brief and deliver quality audio
• Examples of skills in other areas of audio for video games such as voice recording, spot effects, atmospheric or ambient pieces.