We came across 3 interesting jobs at Supermassive, Reflector, and EA Mobile – and they’re looking for an Audio Designer, Voice Designer, and Technical Sound Designer.
Bonus: We found an opening for a Sound Designer at Turner Broadcasting System, and The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Technical Sound Designer Contractor (up to 6 months) at CCP London, a Senior Audio Designer at Playground Games, audio interns at NPR, a Sound Designer at Survios, a Lecturer in Film and Television Sound at the University of Lincoln, and Professor of Film Sound Design at Aalto University. Happy job hunting!
Company: Supermassive Games
Location: Guilford, UK
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Audio Designer to work in-house within our accomplished Audio team. If you understand the importance of audio in delivering visceral engagement within a game experience and how subtle detail and emotionally driven sound design can enhance a player’s immersion – and have a desire for excellence – then we’d very much like to hear from you.
The role requires an excellent ear for detail and a strong desire to create incredible, crafted and innovative audio experiences for our titles. The successful candidate will need experience in all phases of audio design and production, with high proficiency in core skills of sound design, music editing, Foley and dialogue production. The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford, UK. It is a 4-month fixed-term contract.
• Own, and deliver to quality, areas of the project’s audio experience
• Concept, create and integrate, narrative enhancing, immersive sound design
• Work closely with the Audio Director and Lead Audio Designer to help define and implement the project audio direction.
Key Skills and Experience:
• At least four years of experience in sound design / game sound, ideally in AAA.
• Wide experience of implementing sound into games using various game development tools, pipelines and technology.
• High proficiency with Audiokinetic’s Wwise
• Good knowledge of DAW and sample editor
• Experience with SFX and Ambient Sound Design & Dialogue.
• Good recording skills for sfx and Foley, studio and external environments
• Strong communication skills coupled with the ability to deliver great sound design in a short cadence of delivery.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Unreal Engine 4 Experience
• Film / linear post-production skills
• Previous game VR audio experience a bonus.
• Good understanding of music theory and music editing experience
• Understanding of simple coding techniques
The candidate should have:
• A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
• A desire to learn and improve on their skillset.
You also need to be:
• Flexible and open-minded
• Determined and self-motivated
• Prepared to rise to a challenge
• Obsessed with quality
• Creative and innovative
Company: Reflector Entertainment
Location: Montreal, Canada
The Voice Designer will in collaboration with, Audio, Narrative, Game, Animation and Programming Teams, provide significant contribution to the design and continuous development of our Dynamic Dialog System. Use the resulting system and pipeline to effectively integrate Voice and communicate with related assets and systems in the game. The Voice Designer will report to the Audio Director be supported by the Audio Team, and work closely with the Narrative and Game Design Teams
• Understanding the vision and scope of the project, collaborate on the design of a voice system and related features. The system will also be designed to support and reinforce other design aspects (game/level/sound design/animation/lip-sync/localization);
• Create and collaborate on User Stories with the programming team to modify tools, game engine and Wwise integration; Create corresponding Jira tasks and organize their priority;
• Establish, test and debug the voice integration pipeline and inform the teams that work with voices (scriptwriters, animators, localization, etc.). Adapt the pipeline and tools used based on project modifications and the needs of the other design teams (game/level/audio design) in collaboration with the programming team;
• Organize and import data (Mocap and Studio recordings, temporary robotic voices, etc.) and using the pipeline perform voice integration;
• Maximize the effectiveness of voice within the project objectives, by design drive effective cost control and resource allocation based on the project vision and scope;
• Contribute to casting with the Narrative Designers and Audio and Creative Directors to select the best actors for the game;
• Lead voice/dialogue integration in the game;
• Validate dialogue recording sessions with the sound engineer and voice director;
• Take part in voice recordings, providing input to the voice director of dialogue recordings by ensuring that the intonations, intentions and projections are coherent within the context of the game and the script.
• Help plan voice/dialogue production and follow up on these elements throughout the production process in collaboration with the production manager/associate producer;
• Support localization by sharing knowledge on the voice systems and their features to provide information on the work to be carried out and follow up on changes to ensure that all elements are in line with the project and expected deliverables;
• Ensure that voice/dialogue production meets our reference standards;
• Establish the voice/dialogue test plans with the QA team;
• Play an active role in debugging and ensure the quality of the final product.
• 3-5 years’ professional experience in Scripting, in audio and/or game design;
• Skills and experience in Voice/dialogue production in film, television and preferably games as a voice director/technician;
• College diploma in computer science or equivalent;
• Design of game dialog system;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to contribute direction information in voice recording sessions;
• Extensive scripting, post-production and voice production knowledge;
• Basic audio equipment knowledge;
• Basic knowledge of Reaper and Wwise;
• Knowledge of voice and voice history in video games and experience in the field a major asset;
• Knowledge of Unreal and Blueprints an asset;
• Knowledge of programming languages an asset;
• Excellent communication skills in English and French (both oral and written).
Company: EA Mobile
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
At Electronic Arts we put our players first, and we’re looking for the most talented and creative game developers in the world to help us become the world’s #1 mobile gaming company. Mobile is the future of our industry and the future of our company. As EA’s first label dedicated to purely digital games, EA Mobile creates games for mobile devices, social networks and online environments that deliver seamless play anytime, anywhere, on any device. Connecting a market of more than one billion core and mass-casual gamers worldwide, EA Mobile delivers engaging, accessible, high-quality games to people of all skill levels and interests.
Our mobile team is growing fast, with 17 exciting studios around the world and a portfolio of blockbuster titles like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, The Simpsons: Tapped Out, FIFA, Madden NFL Mobile, NBA, Real Racing, SimCity, The Sims FreePlay, and Plants vs. Zombies. Creativity, Collaboration, and Communication are what makes us tick as we prepare ourselves for massive amounts of growth and an incredible amount of fun. We want to engage our players and create the most entertaining mobile titles in the world.
EA Seattle is looking for a Technical Sound Designer to join our successful and talented team.
As an experienced and versatile technical sound designer, you will work directly with PopCap’s audio team as well as game programmers and producers to assess and scope a projects’ audio tech requirements, and sync production plans. The position will be very hands-on technically and creatively, designing and integrating audio systems, as well as sound design and sound and music editing. Experience with the Wwise audio integration tool and Unity is a must.
• Helping to scope audio tech needs and requirements for game titles
• Asset organization and tracking
• Audio systems planning and design using Wwise and proprietary tools
• Game audio implementation
• Interactive music implementation
• SFX creation and editing
• Music editing, file conversion, and prep
• Creative and technical feedback and coverage within game builds
Required Skills/Personal Requirements:
• 3+ years of industry experience
• Scripting ability in Python, C# etc. a plus
• Experience working in Wwise and Unity
• Experience working with audio tools in a primarily Windows environment and some tools on Mac
• Strong Sound Design skills
• Understanding of musical concepts and theory a plus
• A motivated self-starter with highly developed organizational skills
• Advanced knowledge and experience with game audio systems and tools
• Strong creative and aesthetic design sensibilities with regards to sound and music
• The ability to apply creative solutions to the production process, improving function and efficiency.
• Proven ability to work with multiple teams, with strong communication skills
• Asset management and database experience
• Passionate about games, and game audio, particularly as it pertains to the emerging casual/social space
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day. Our EA Seattle location features fantastic amenities and easy access to everything the metropolis of Seattle offers, and wonderful Washington State is a nature lover’s paradise. More about our location: www.ea.com/studios/popcap
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.