We came across 4 interesting new jobs at Valve, Bohemia Interactive, Digital Extremes, and Gameloft – and they’re looking for Sound Designers and Senior Sound Designers. Best of luck in your job hunt!
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA
We’re looking for an experienced sound designer and/or interactive audio “integrator” who can help us create sophisticated, emotionally-compelling audio experiences for a variety of media formats and products. You’ll collaborate with a team of broadly-skilled peers to make sound a powerful element in all current and future Valve products, from multimedia ads to video game consoles, PC, and on-line gaming.
• Identify audio opportunities and asset needs in Valve commercial and promotional products in a self-driven but collaborative manner
• Conceptualize, schedule, design, and produce high quality audio assets in accordance with the development and testing cycle of the product
• Integrate audio in both linear and interactive forms with Valve products using proprietary software
• Manage all necessary audio assets (sound files, scripts, models, etc.) associated with a product using the necessary software
• Work with engineers and artists to understand and help develop cutting-edge, proprietary audio technologies
• Test, debug, and assure the functional quality of all audio in a given product
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in digital and analog audio production or audio engineering
• Five years experience in:
– Professional quality audio production and all related technologies
– Game engine audio implementation technologies
– Taking a video game or linear equivalent (e.g., film) from conception and development through publication and shipment
Required application materials:
Please include a reel with your application that includes in-game examples of your audio design and implementation. Please outline the contributions you made to the project and which parts of the reel highlight the value you added to the piece.
Company: Bohemia Interactive
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Bohemia Interactive a.s., independent developer of video games, seeks for a Sound Designer to join the production team in the company’s Brno office. The Sound Designer is a member of a collaborative audio production team with responsibility for dedicated audio aspects of the project experience. Sound Designer creates audio content by recording, designing, mixing, mastering and implementing audio assets and works closely with other disciplines to enhance the experience of the game-play.
• Advanced knowledge of/skills in the areas of recording, designing, mixing, and optimizing audio for video games
• 2+ years of experience creating sound for games
• Advanced understanding of game audio aesthetics, implementation methods and industry solutions
• Proficiency with modern computer-based audio production tools such as Steinberg, Cubase, Sound Forge, iZotope RX etc.
• Good communication and problem solving skills
• Good spoken and written English
• Experience with field/studio recording
• Knowledge of the Real Virtuality (Arma) game engine
• Knowledge of the Unreal game engine
• Knowledge of software versioning and revision control systems (SVN)
• Self-Motivating, passionate about audio realism
• Experience with programming or scripting languages
• Gameplay experience with Arma series and/or DayZ mod
• Opportunity to work on a popular game franchise
• Possibility to directly influence the final product
• Nice atmosphere in a creative team
• Possibilities for skill-development and personal growth
• Flexible working hours
• Competitive salary & benefits
Company: Digital Extremes
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Why choose Digital Extremes? – Ingenuity, diligence, highly skilled, specifically trained. With stealth precision, this team of ninjas have infiltrated the F2P market. Can we control the natural elements, shape shift or walk on water? Hell no. But we can develop kick-ass videogames. We are masters of our own weaponry. What is your superhuman skill? Do you have what it takes to join this elite team? Bring it. Recruiting now.
• Create engaging and detailed sound design for various elements of the game. This includes sound design for levels, A.I., weapons, U.I, cinematics, animations, marketing, and other gameplay events
• Implement sound design and other audio into the game engine
• Maintain audio program skill set with regards to current industry standards (Pro Tools, Sound Forge, etc.)
• Record Foley and gather field recordings for use in the game
• Record, design, and edit voices and voice overs for use in the game
• Find and fix audio related bugs
• Maintain a familiarity with basic lua scripting
• Maintain an appropriate game audio mix at all times, on all platforms (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
• Passion for world-class audio
• Post secondary diploma from a recognized audio education institution
• At least 2 years’ experience in an audio related field
• Background in sound design for video games a plus
• Comfortable working in both Mac and PC environments
Required application materials:
Please include the answers to these questions in your cover letter in order to be considered for the position:
• Why should we hire you?
• Why do you want to work in the Gaming Industry?
• Tell us about a sound project you recently worked on that you were very proud of and why?
• How would you rate both your Mac and PC environment skills (out of 1-10, 10 being a superstar)
• Do you have experience in Sound Design with Video Games? If yes; tell us a bit about that!
• If no; how would you ensure your transition into Video Game Sound Design would be a successful one?
• What games are you currently playing? How many hours have you spent playing Warframe?
• Why do you feel you would be a good fit for the team and for Digital Extremes?
Please send a resume along with a reel that highlights your best work to date!!
Location: Montreal, Canada
Leader in the development and publishing of mobile games, Gameloft® has established itself as one of the top innovators in its field since 2000. Gameloft creates games for all digital platforms and with an audience of 140 million monthly users offers via Gameloft Advertising Solutions a unique level of visibility and involvement to advertisers. Gameloft operates its own established franchises such as Asphalt®, Order & Chaos, Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter and also partners with major rights holders including Universal, Illumination Entertainment, Disney®, Marvel®, Hasbro®, Fox Digital Entertainment, Mattel® and Ferrari®. Gameloft distributes its games in over 100 countries and employs 6,000 people worldwide. Gameloft is a Vivendi company.
At Gameloft Montreal, you’ll be working with the world’s best game developers. Our studio has developed, and continues to develop, hit titles that include the Dungeon Hunter, Modern Combat and Gangstar series. We are currently seeking a Senior Sound Designer to join our Audio team.
From the beginning of your adventure with us, you will be tasked with:
• Creating the entire sound aspect of games under the supervision of the Audio Director.
*Please note that this position does not involve composing music.
• Minimum of 5 years professional experience in Sound Design in the video game industry. Demos will be requested
• A diploma in Sound Design is an asset
• Extensive knowledge of Windows audio software (Pro Tools, REAPER, Soundminer, SVN, etc.) and audio editors (Sound Forge, WaveLab, Audition, etc.), as well as web tools such as Confluence and JIRA
• Must also have an expert knowledge of the most common VST plugins necessary for editing and mixing audio
• Complete understanding of technical limitations (audio optimisation, memory, etc.) related to sounds and audio formats used in the industry
• Understanding and good command of several audio engines (middleware such as FMOD and Wwise.)
• Skilled at recording (sound effects/recording in the field), creating and editing original sounds in different formats
• Good knowledge of sound effects libraries available on the market
• Able to manage large databases (lists of sounds) clearly and logically
• Very good communicator, both verbal and written
• Having many years experience playing video games on consoles and having acquired a good understanding of current sound quality standards
• Being a good team player; having a strong sense of creativity, analysis and synthesis; being hard-working; having effective interpersonal skills; and having strong organizational skills
• Must also be able to easily create and understand sound environments of video games
• And above all, you must be motivated and passionate about the job
Why Join the World of Gameloft?
• Because you want to be part of an exceptional experience within a company that is constantly growing!
• Because you want to work with talented people who are industry pioneers!
• Because you want to join a global company and meet great people around the world from all walks of life.
• Or, just because you’re looking for a great place to work!
What We Offer:
• Benefits befitting a company of our size
• Vacation and personal days off
• Public transportation allowances (partial reimbursement of OPUS card)
• A storage room for 80 bikes
• Daily snacks
• A game room
• A rooftop terrace
We want to get to know you! Submit your application now:
• In order for your application to be considered, please send your portfolio or samples of your work (demos, animations, images, websites, etc.) and a cover letter. Please indicate the address of your website or portfolio if you have one.