We came across interesting new jobs at GIANTS Software, Wabi Sabi Sound, Frictional Games, and The Chinese Room – and they’re looking for an Audio Designer (Germany), Contract Game Sound Designer (GA, US), Audio Designer (Sweden / Remote), and Sound Designer (England).
We also found openings for a Senior Technical Sound Designer at Insomniac Games (CA, US), Technical Sound Designer at Insomniac Games (CA, US), Lead Sound Designer at IO Interactive (Denmark/Sweden), Senior Sound Designer at Respawn (CA, US), Senior Sound Designer at Bugbear Entertainment (Finland), Contract Sound Designer at Roblox (CA, US), Audio Programmer at Sucker Punch (WA, US), Audio Production Coordinator at Activision (Ireland), Audio Director at Lionbridge (Japan), Audio Technologist at Apple (CA, US), Senior Audio Software Engineer at Embark (Sweden), and Game Audio Producer at Blizzard (CA, US).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Social Media Manager at DIY Recording Equipment (Remote), Assistant Professor of Sound Reinforcement and Design at Shenandoah Conservatory (VA, US). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Get the story on how the sound for HBO's hugely popular mini-series 'The Undoing' was done, hear how a standing desk can improve your sound studio ergonomics – and tips on how to reduce RSI, + get the sound stories behind all the D.I.C.E. Awards Audio Design Finalists.
Company: GIANTS Software
Location: Erlangen, Germany
GIANTS Software is one of the most successful game developers in Europe, with offices in Zürich, Switzerland, Erlangen, Germany, Brno, Czech Republic and Chicago, USA. It is well known for its “Farming Simulator” series, a worldwide best-selling game and real-time simulation, for many years.
We are looking for a motivated Audio Designer to support our team in Erlangen, Germany.What qualifications and skills do we expect from you?
- You have a degree in game audio or equivalent
- You are experienced in creatively producing sound effects for video games
- You are experienced in working with professional audio editing tools
- You possess good discipline in following a predefined process
- You are experienced in field recording and field recording techniques
- You have no problem to meet tight deadlines while maintaining a high quality output
- You enjoy working in a team as well as independent
- You already have gained experience in the gaming industry
- You already have gained experience in vehicle audio recording
- You have a strong passion for video games
- You have good communication skills in German (spoken & written)
- You have a farming or technical background
- Variety: A challenging job and exciting projects with plenty of room for creativity and innovative ideas
- Work-life balance: Flexible working hours
- Great working atmosphere: Flat hierarchies and everyone at eye level
- Personal development: Individual opportunities for professional advancement, tailored to your needs and wishes
- Modern workplace: Office in a top location with good public transport connections
Security: Permanent employment contract, attractive salary and bonuses
- Extras: Drinks, snacks and fruit are of course free in our company<
To apply for this position, please send us a resume and a cover letter.
Company: Wabi Sabi Sound
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
Howdy, Andy here from Wabi Sabi Sound. We need you. Well, that is if you rock at this stuff below. Take a look:Project Description
We are mid-development on a super saucy post-apocalyptic online P-v-P-v-E team based coopetition shooter with mutant bears. The dev team you will join is very – everything. Top level talent, track record for days, and cool (ie work hard, go home).
The game is announced and in closed beta. Check it out-
The Audio Team:
Wabi is vertically integrated into our client’s team. We are one with them. This requires us to have creative skills AND technical skills AND fabulous people skills. The Scavengers audio team is 1 Audio Director/Designer, 2 Sound Designers, 1 audio programmer with an outsourced composer and casting partner. Our designers have areas of ownership, but we support each other based on milestone needs. We’re small and agile.
Depending on the skills you bring to the table, you could be doing weapons, dialog integration, foley, ambiences, music integration, creatures, UI etc. As I mentioned, we are already in closed beta so all of these systems are in place with reasonably decent base content. We are gearing up for our final push and as VFX, Weapon Skins, MoCap, level design, characters and UI get their next round of updates we’d like someone to run with a few of these categories.
Do you know Perforce well?
Do you know Unreal testing and basic BP workflows well?
Do you know Wwise well?
If no-ish on any of these then sorry this opportunity probably isn’t for you.
If yes to all three, here are some other things to know.
The team works remotely using Slack.
You will need a solid gamer PC. i7, gtx 1080, 32gigs of ram, ssd drives at least. If you don’t have this, I might be able to send you one. Let me know in your email.
You can work in any DAW you want. Most existing sessions were made in Nuendo or Reaper, so that’s a plus if you know those.
We primarily use Wabi Sabi Sound’s proprietary sfx library. We take this case by case…but we try to stay away from commercial libraries as much as possible. If sound design for you is using already designed libraries…then this might not be for you.
We have a daily audio team huddle/playtest at 10:31 am EST. (GMT-4)
End: June 2021
(roughly 4 months) In general, Wabi is looking for more partners. If this contract goes well, there WILL be more.
If you’re interested, GREAT! Please do the following:
Email your resume to: email@example.com.
Write us something about your experience with Unreal, Wwise and Perforce.
List your top game audio ninja skills…things you enjoy and feel really good at.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Please reach out to me with any questions: andrew (at) wabisabisound (dot) com
Company: Frictional Games
Location: Malmö, Sweden / Remote
Title: Audio Designer
Focus: Driving implementation of sound in our future games
Type: Full time permanent position
Last day to apply: This is an ongoing application without a last day to apply. We will update the ad when the position is filled.
Location: Remote or in Malmö office
The creak of wood beneath your feet; the scrape and thud of a drawer as you open it, searching for a clue. Your breath gently stirs the air; dripping water echoes down a long-forgotten corridor. You step into it, and your boot hits stone with just the right level of reverb – you feel as if you are truly there.
Great audio design has long been one of the hallmarks of Frictional’s games, and now we are looking for an Audio Designer to join our team to focus on the nitty gritty, the implementation of audio in our games.
What will you work on?
You will work together with the audio team to define, create, and especially implement Audio and Sound Design in our new and upcoming games. We are a small studio, and see that as one of our core strengths. You will have a great impact on how our games sound and evoke emotions, and you will tackle a wide variety of challenges and tasks throughout our projects.Even though we are a small team, and you will have to be prepared for a great variety of tasks, your main focus will be:
- Implementing SFX and music in our games through Wwise.
- Working closely with the rest of the audio team and our designers to define our games’ soundscapes and audio needs, and how to implement them.
- Working directly in the level editor to set up reverb zones and other audio related assets and set ups.
- Researching and defining our audio tech needs (from an audio design perspective), and collaborating with our developers to have those needs accounted for.
- Taking part in designing custom sound effects, both by recording from scratch and processing already existing sound library material.
What are we looking for?
You have to be a EU/EEA resident for us to be able to offer relocation. We do consider applications from outside the EU/EEA, but prefer them to be located in similar time zones to ease communication.
The person we’re looking for is creative, driven, self-sufficient, and a problem solver. Being a remote team such as ours, organizing your own work and communicating clearly with the rest of the team are fundamental skills we require.
We welcome applicants regardless of background, situation, sexual orientation, religion, and similar, so don’t let anything like that hold you back from applying!Here are some essential skills we require:
- At least 2 years experience as an audio designer for games
- Good understanding of and experience in using Wwise to implement music and SFX for games
- A good understanding of sound and music, and how they affect the player experience
- A critical approach to your work, where you think things through, reflect and improve
- Ability to challenge yourself and tackle new obstacles head-on
- A strive for structure, efficiency, and clarity
- Interest in, and ability to do, research for interesting sound and music implementation solutions
- Love for working on a variety of tasks
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in English
- A Windows PC that runs AAA games that came out the last few years on high quality.
- Hardware and equipment to work with.
- We don’t expect you to have a fully equipped home studio, but enough to get started, and work on most sounds. Additional equipment can be provided if needed, but it is important that you have the hardware needed to start working.
- A fast and stable internet connection
- You have been responsible for audio implementation in at least one game from its conception to its launch.
- You live in Sweden. Especially a plus if you live in or around Malmö.
- Basic understanding of programming and code
- Game design skills
What do we offer?
We are a small team, which means you will be able to work on a wide variety of things and contribute to our future games in a meaningful way.
We also believe a healthy balance between work and life reflects positively on your work. We offer a variety of perks for our full-time employees, especially those who live in or relocate to Sweden. We also don’t encourage crunch.Here’s what we offer:
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation support to Malmö if you would like to move here
- Opportunities to influence your workflow
- Variety in your work tasks, and ability to influence your workload
- Participation in our internal game Show & Tell sessions, so you’ll have input into all aspects of the game
- Social security and holidays that are up to the Swedish standards
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
- An office in central Malmö you can use as much as you please
- Fun workmates, game and movie nights, and other outings!
How to apply?Did the position pique your interest? Are you the person we’re looking for? Then we would love to hear from you!
Please note that the application period will be ongoing until we find the right person for the position. Therefore it might take some time for us to reply to your message.
Please send us your:
- Cover letter (why you should work with us, what do you bring to the table)
- Portfolio (or links to your works)
Company: The Chinese Room
Location: Brighton, UK
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
As a studio we develop our own original games, as well as ‘TCR’ takes on select IP. Current projects are first-person action-adventure games for console and PC, and we’re looking for a world-class Sound Designer to join the team.What’s the role?
As a Sound Designer, you understand how your unique skills and tools can support, augment and even alter the narrative and emotional experience of a video game. In this role, you will contribute to a varied range of the game’s audio, collaborating closely with design, art and code teams. If you have developed specialisms through your prior industry experience, then these will be put to good use. These could include, but not be limited to, combat, traversal & foley, cutscenes, dialogue systems or music implementation. Quality of your work, as it relates to the audio direction for the project through design and implementation, is always at the forefront of everything you do.What do we need from you?
You have professional game audio experience, ideally having done full cycles on two shipped console/PC titles. You are entirely at ease with Wwise, including its profiling and optimisation features, and enjoy working with UE4 Blueprint or similar visual scripting languages. You are knowledgeable about both field and studio recording, and strive to always use as much unique source material in your designs as possible, while being able creatively use off-the-shelf libraries and tools. Very importantly, you can demonstrate a real knack for top class sound design. Besides high production values, we are looking for an individuality in your thinking and hearing, and the way you apply this through your work – while simultaneously being able to always do what is best for the project.Anything else?
We are Reaper users, so it will help if you are already familiar with the deep level of customisation this DAW affords. Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world, and the multi award-winning Little Orpheus (2020). This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.