We came across interesting new jobs at Sony Santa Monica, Formosa Interactive Seattle, Freejam, and Relic Entertainment – and they’re looking for a Senior Audio Programmer (CA, US / Remote), Technical Sound Designer (WA, US), Junior Game Audio Designer (England), and Audio Designer (BC, Canada).
We also found openings for an Audio Programmer at Sumo Newcastle (England), Sound Designer at Toys For Bob (CA, US), Audio Field Applications Engineer at Dolby Seoul (South Korea), Music Producer at Riot Games Shanghai (SH, China), Audio Producer at Spotify LA (CA, US), Audio Description Writer at Keywords (Remote / Canada), Director of Podcast Production at Warner Music Group (CA, US), Hip Hop Music Specialist at Cognizant (Various US Locations), Audio Designer at Double Eleven (England), Asia Audio Localization Manager at Keywords Shanghai (SH, China), Sound Designer / Post-Production Engineer at Formosa Interactive Seattle (WA, US), Dialogue Editor at Formosa Interactive Burbank (CA, US), Associate Voice Over Producer at Formosa Interactive Burbank (CA, US), Sound Designer / Audio Implementor at Formosa Interactive Seattle (WA, US), and Audio Producer (Part-Time) at Audacy (PA, US).
Highlight – sound stories this week:
• Capturing Incredible Car Sounds for ‘F9’ – with Peter Brown, Charlie Campagna & Paul Aulicino
• Learn about the sound for Blind Drive with Sound & Game Designer Giori Politi.
• Get key insights from Kip Smedley and his 16 years in sound for advertising.
• Excellent new sound effects
Company: Sony Santa Monica
Location: Santa Monica, CA, US
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA (Note this position can be fully remote for anyone in the USA or Canada)
PlayStation is seeking a software engineer to join our Audio Technology team. This team is responsible for providing the entire audio pipeline from authoring tools to game-runtime to low level synthesizer. Our team works closely with AAA developers like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, etc. to drive the future of PlayStation audio. This is a unique opportunity to be part of all aspects of AAA game audio development and help define the next-generation of game audio. If this is you please apply!Responsibilities:
- Design and implement runtime systems and tools for our customer’s needs (such as propagation, streaming, performance, and so on)
- Support sound designers in their use of these systems and tools
- Write clear, maintainable, portable, and highly functional code
- Profile and performance tune code to remove bottlenecks
- Support and extend audio workflows and pipelines
- Test and document code produced
- Min. 5 years professional programming experience with expertise in C/C++ and any C# is a plus
Must have prior experience working with Unreal engine; Frostbite, Unity or any AAA propriety game engines a plus.
Exposure to game audio systems, game audio content creation or music production, etc.
- Generalist with proven code architecture skill
- Excellent spoken and written communication
- Able and motivated to work with other team members
- Dedication to code quality, documentation, and sound testing procedures
- Passionate and takes initiative
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and equivalent experience
- Proficiency in linear algebra
Company: Formosa Interactive Seattle
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Formosa Interactive Seattle is looking for an experienced Technical Sound Designer to join the growing team and studio in Seattle! Join a culture of creative cooperation with some of the industry’s leading sound designers for games, all dedicated to creating cutting-edge, award-winning game audio.
The Technical Sound Designer – VO Integrator is responsible for audio integration into game engines.Responsibilities:
- Organize audio integration efforts for a major game title
- Specialty in VO systems and integration applied across several titles
- Onboard onto client projects remotely
- Organize and import assets into Wwise, and proprietary audio engines
- Integrating audio content into game engines
- Animation tagging
- Placing emitters and volumes in game engines
- Duplicating, modifying, and/or creating scripts
- Testing, troubleshooting, and audio QA
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3+ years of experience with AAA shipped titles using Wwise
- Experience with large-scale animation-driven Foley systems
- Demonstrable proficiency with at least one major game engine
- Ability to navigate and troubleshoot remote game development environments
- Very detail oriented, organized, and able to work with thousands of assets
- Working experience with Unity, Unreal, and/or proprietary game engines
- Working experience with other 3rd party and/or proprietary audio engines
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Blueprints and/or Unity scripting
- Fundamental proficiency with professional audio production tools and processes
- High School education or equivalent required.
- BA/BS in applicable field preferred.
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Freejam (https://freejamgames.com/), developers of the hit online multiplayer game Robocraft (http://robocraftgame.com), is now looking for an Audio Designer to join our growing team in order to build our new ambitious online free-to-play title Techblox (http://techblox.com).
The successful candidate will be involved in the creation and integration of audio effects to provide user feedback for everything that is happening on-screen within the game.Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the game director, programmers and artists to develop sound effects to accompany new gameplay features and content that are in development.
- Author new sound effects from sample libraries and audio authoring tools.
- Setup and modulate sound effects to play in-game using FMOD Studio.
- Test, iterate and polish sound effects for best results in-game.
- Optimise and manage audio content in-game for CPU performance, memory, and for best audio quality.
- Balance and mix audio across the project.
- Document audio systems.
- Graduate with a degree in audio development or similar.
- Or, some industry experience demonstrating skill and competency in these areas.
- A strong portfolio showing skill in audio development.
- Unity or Unreal experience (preferably Unity as we are a Unity studio).
- Strong knowledge of audio authoring software.
- Strong knowledge of game audio engines and associated tools such as FMOD or WWise.
- Music composition is a bonus, but not essential.
- Meticulous and well organised.
- Respect for deadlines and be a team player.
- Proactive and able to prioritize tasks and manage your time effectively.
- You must be friendly, no ego, open to other opinions, but also confident in your own ability and skills. How you integrate as a person within the team will be critical to your success within the role.
Freejam is based in Portsmouth, UK. Due to Covid, you will likely onboard with the company remotely, but as soon as it is safe to do so you will be expected to join us in the studio.
Freejam is a fully indie team, we shape our destiny. We decide game features, what platforms we release on, what dates we release on, how we promote and market our games, what business models we choose to follow, our prices, everything. It is fun and very rewarding to be the master of your own game development destiny. This is the freedom that being properly independent brings and this is what Freejam is all about.
Even if we are a small company, we’re able to offer good benefits including flexible working hours, an ambitious, ego-free and relaxing environment. Further perks include days out/pub meet up when possible and, of course, our legendary Christmas parties.
Freejam is currently in the amazing position of building a brand new project and we’re looking for like-minded people who can help shape it.Diversity
Freejam is aware that sometimes minorities are under-represented in the game development industry. We welcome applications from people from all under-represented groups.
Portsmouth is a historic naval city, now recognized for its university, on the south coast of England with good transport links to London. Freejam’s studio is located on the harbour surrounded by popular venues, restaurants, and bars. Portsmouth gives you all the benefits of a proper city, without the chaos and the costs associated with living in London.
Company: Relic Entertainment
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Relic Entertainment is a wholly owned studio of SEGA. We are an award-winning developer of genre-defining games like Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Age of Empires. We have delivered rich, thoughtful strategy games throughout our history and our vision is to continue making games that people love to play.
Relic Entertainment is a wholly owned studio of SEGA. We are an award-winning developer of genre-defining games like Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Age of Empires. We have delivered rich, thoughtful strategy games throughout our history and our vision is to continue making games that people love to play. We’re looking for an Audio Designer to join our studio in beautiful Vancouver.
As an integral part of the Audio team, you will create and implement innovative, immersive, and interactive dialog designs. You will also utilize your skill in VO production, ADR/VO sessions, and general VO implementation. This role provides you with an opportunity to experience all areas of game design and development.As our Audio Designer you will…
- Own the Dialog process end to end for a single game
- Collaborate with our team to create state-of-the-art interactive dialog playback systems
- Design and deliver dialog assets that fit the franchise’s style and aesthetic tone
- Integrate dialog assets into the sound engine using Wwise (Wave Works Interactive Sound Engine) and proprietary tools
- Create and communicate innovative concepts based on franchise and audio goals
- Drive the VO recording process from writing to casting to VO sessions
- A keen awareness of scripted branching audio and/or programmable logic-controlled Dialog systems
- Experience with Wwise interactive systems (or similar proprietary tools) and how they contribute to the gaming experience
- Audio experience in games, including:
- A proven ability to create and design dialog systems
- A solid base of technical audio theory for sound design, VO mastering, and VO acquisition for games
- Editing and mastering dialog for games
- Conceptualizing and executing audio features and playback systems
- Identifying and solving technical and aesthetic problems
- The ability to work under tight schedules and reliably hit milestones and communicate progress and risks along the way
- A desire to learn, share and grow with us
- Experience working with FMOD/UE4 or similar
- Some experience and comfort directing VO talent
- Scripting experience (Lua, Python and likewise)
- Familiarity with RTS and/or Relic games
- An interest in the tech or gaming industry
Please apply through our careers page (www.relic.com) and we will be in touch shortly to let you know about next steps.This is Relic
We have a culture of kindness, transparency, and play. There is a lot of heart and passion at this studio – we get to work on projects we’re proud of and we work hard to be the best at what we do. We are curious, we strive for excellence, we build on each other’s ideas, and we celebrate each other’s great work. Relicans organize movie nights, game tournaments, life drawing, community and charity events, and more. Basically, we believe that good work starts with a community you’re excited to spend your day with, both in and out of the studio.
Relic benefits include an extended benefits package, RRSP/DPSP matching program (subject to eligibility requirements), local discounts to gyms and restaurants in the area, and regular studio and community events. For designated roles, relocation and immigration assistance may be available. You will also become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, this includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, HARDlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios), which gives us access to the resources to enable us to build on our legacy of innovation.