We came across interesting new jobs at Obsidian Entertainment, Hangar 13, stillalive, and Black Kite Studios – and they’re looking for an Audio Director (CA, US), Audio Designer (Dialogue) (CA, US), Sound Designer (Austria), and Sound Engineer (Remote US).
We also found openings for an Audio Engineer at Bungie (WA, US), Lead Audio Engineer at Keywords Studios (Spain), Audio Programmer at Snowdrop (Sweden), Principal Game Audio Programmer at NaturalMotion (England), Audio Designer at Blackbird Interactive (BC, Canada), Audio Software Engineer and Senior Audio Software Engineer at Crytek (Germany), Intermediate Audio Engineer at Full Circle (BC, Canada), Sound Design Manager at Facebook (CA, US), Sound Designer at QCODE (CA, US), Audio Engineer at Jabra (Remote Denmark), Audio Specialist at Evolution (PA, US), Principal Audio Software Engineer at Microsoft (WA, US), Audio Engineer at CBS Studios (NY, US), and Manager of Sound Post Facilities at Netflix (CA, US).
Highlight – sound stories this week: Discover 20+ great new sound libraries from the independent sound community, enter a giveaway on Discord where you could win a copy of Tsugi's procedural sound design tool GameSynth – and be the first to hear an exciting new podcast interview that'll be out very, very soon (subscribe on Spotify here, or Apple Podcasts here,or find more ways to subscribe via Anchor here).
Company: Obsidian Entertainment
Location: Irvine, CA, US
Obsidian is looking for a creative and technical Audio Director with the capability to design and implement assets, lead the audio efforts for a new project, and specialize in key audio systems.
Our titles require a unique audio landscape and that's where you come in! The Audio Director will directly manage a team of Audio Designers to plan, design, and integrate high quality, engaging sound effects from the conceptual stage all the way through to polished engine integration.Responsibilities
- Design immersive and cinematic sound effects to engage players, drive the narrative, and deliver compelling audio experiences
- Encourage a culture of respect, support, collaboration, comradery, and creativity throughout the audio team and beyond
- Manage a team of audio designers, providing them with guidance and feedback on audio quality, consistency, and implementation
- Collaborate with Studio Audio Director, Game Director, and other key stakeholders to define game audio quality bar and vision
- Work with game team leads and production to ensure audio staff is represented in all strike teams throughout development, and that they are fully scheduled and tasked
- Oversee, develop, and document project pipelines and onboard new audio team members
- At least 6+ years of experience in game audio, including the full development cycles of a shipped AAA title
- Comprehensive understanding and practical experience in every facet of game audio production
- Expert understanding of Foley, recording, mixing, sound design, implementation, scripting voice over, and localization techniques and best practices
- Proven experience working and coordinating with game developers from different disciplines
- Experience using Wwise across multiple full development cycles
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in an audio related field
- Experience working on open world games with emergent audio features and systems
- Experience using Unreal Engine and Blueprints on at least one full development cycle
- An online reel demonstrating quality in-game audio where you were credited as an audio designer
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.
Company: Hangar 13
Location: Novato, CA, US
The Hangar 13 Audio team is looking for an experienced Sound Designer / Editor to focus specifically on dialogue. The Sound Designer (Dialogue) is a member of our internal audio team in Novato, CA. He/she also collaborates with and supports both the narrative and design teams with regards to dialogue.
The major goal of this role is to ensure that the dialogue experience for our players is a satisfying one. This includes editing, mastering & implementing dialogue to an expected level of quality and consistency, as well as to help push our workflow and tools to continually improve the dialogue experience in our games.What You Will Do
The dialogue designer duties include (but are not limited to):
- Works with outsourced editors after recording sessions have been completed.
- Edits and masters all dialogue to consistent specifications.
- Imports dialogue into internal tools.
- Records, Edits, Masters & Implements temp VO into the game for prototyping purposes.
- Creates suitable dialogue processing for characters that require real-time or post-production effects.
- Tunes and balances all dialogue metadata related to dialogue utilizing both proprietary tools and middleware.
- Works with the AI design team to tune and balance dialogue behaviours in game.
- Provides a dialogue pre-mix for the game that is consistent with direction and feedback provided by the Studio Audio Director.
- Works with the QA team to define a test plan for dialogue, ensuring all dialogue is playing as expected across multipe languages.
- Mastering of localized dialogue.
Some sound design work will be required therefore a mid-level skill set in sound design is preferred.
Candidates must have:
- 3+ years experience in dialogue editing, sound design or related field.
- At least one AAA game cycle.
- Advanced experience in Pro-Tools for both editing and mastering.
- Have an understanding of tools such as iZotope RX and related audio restoration software.
- High proficiency with Wwise.
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia franchise. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!Novato
Located just 30 minutes north of San Francisco and 30 minutes south of Napa Valley wine country, Hangar 13’s Novato location has found its home within 2K’s headquarters in Northern California. Situated in Hamilton Landing inside a renovated United States Air Force base hangar, you will find our talented and passionate team within invigorating Marin County. You can walk out the door and explore famous hiking and mountain biking trails as well as the gorgeous coastline. In addition to working in an exceptional setting conducive to Hangar 13’s inclusive and creatively diverse work environment, the Bay Area also provides employees with access to vibrant nightlife, world-class cuisine, local farmers markets, great public schools, and cultural metropolitan experiences. Onsite amenities include fully equipped break areas, company sponsored food trucks and raffle prizes, new state of the art gym, subsidized fitness classes and massage therapy, electric car charging stations and much more! We are only 5 minutes off of highway 101 and a 15-minute walk from the nearest SMART station.
Location: Innsbruck, Austria
We are looking for a Sound Designer to join our game production team.
A sound designer at stillalive studio helps shape the audible world in our games. You will be able to participate in the whole process of sound creation. From conception to recording, design, and implementation.
Design environments (natural, sci-fi, fantasy), machines, weapons, engines, explosions, lasers and UI sounds in the DAW. Create sound systems (day night cycles, complex mechanisms for our simulation games) in FMOD and integrate sound events into Unity and Unreal respectively.
Audio is an important communications factor. You think about the mixing process, frequency domains and what meaning sounds convey to create an impactful and precise experience. You love to experiment and come up with creative solutions while always being mindful of our project constraints of time and budget.
You’re somebody that is passionate about games, technology, middleware, and especially DAWs. You like to geek out and find new ways of optimizing our workflows to make sound development more effective and fun.
We’re working on games for PC and consoles like XBOX, PlayStation and want to expand to mobile platforms too.Your Responsibilities will be:
- Work with our producers to create asset lists and adhere to plans and timelines
- Help create sound systems for different mechanics in our games
- Implement these systems in FMOD and Unity / Unreal, sometimes working closely with our programmers
- Design, create, edit, convert, manage lots of sound assets for our games, linear cutscenes, sometimes trailers and other video material while adhering to the audio direction using sound libraries or recording sound yourself
- Implement sounds into middleware like FMOD
- Implement FMOD event calls into our game projects within Unity or Unreal using C# or Blueprints / C++
Based on your responsibilities, we are looking for the following skill set:
- Solid knowledge of audio principles, audio tech, audio formats
- Solid knowledge of audio software (e.g. Reaper, Nuendo, EQs, Compressors, creative plugins)
- Experience in field recording, editing, exporting
- Practical knowledge of FMOD and the audio capabilities of game engines (e.g. experience using core UE audio implementation solutions such as Blueprints, SoundCue editor, Sound Class and Passive Sound Mix system, Map Editor, adding Ambient Actors, Audio Volumes, etc.)
- Some audio coding required
- Audio play-testing and assurance of audio quality on target platforms
- Identifying, prioritizing and resolving audio bugs
- Good knowledge of English
- You have 2-3 years of related professional experience
- Experience organizing, guiding or even directing voice-over sessions
- Experience editing and exporting voice-over recordings
- You have a home studio setup and can work remotely
- Passionate about playing and developing games
- Knowledge of project management (agile, scrum)
- You have worked in a remote team before
- You worked with versioning systems like SVN or GIT
- You speak German
- Very friendly, helpful teammates that organize board game events and do activities together, we’re like a family
- Super informal atmosphere
- Remote work
- A stunning office with a great view of the Tyrolean mountains if you come to the office
This full-time position is available right away!
Legal Note (req. by Austrian Law):
In case of an employment you’d be categorized as “Allgemeine Tätigkeit” of the “IT Kollektivvertrag” (Verhandlungsbasis).
Company: Black Kite Studios
Location: Remote US
Black Kite is a new studio founded by an ex-Rockstar Games game designer to make innovative strategy games in a wholesome work culture. We are currently prototyping a PC based deck-building card game with a twist.Role
We are looking for a talented sound engineer to work on an incredible strategy game on a contract basis. The Sound Engineer will create exciting audio for summoning creatures, enormous monster attacks, magic spells, and more. Each person on our team has ownership over their portion of the product, which provides for significant creative freedom.Responsibilities
- Create top tier sounds for various parts of the card game
- Have creative input into how sounds should feel
- Have an efficient timeline and pipeline for sound asset creation
- Work in tandem with the game designer, artist, and VFX artist to ensure the sounds accurately represent the flavor of the game
- Have a transparent use of hours and work in an effective and productive manner
- Degree in a relevant field
- 1-2 years of experience in game sound design
- Knowledge of Unity Game Engine and its systems and pipelines
- Appreciation for teamwork and a friendly, positive attitude!
- Credit on one or more shipped games (link in your cover letter)
- Experience playing card games a plus