We came across interesting new jobs at Oculus, Insomniac, PUBG, and Ubisoft Shanghai – and they’re looking for a AR/VR Audio Software Engineer (WA, US), Senior Sound Designer (CA, US), Audio Programmer (Netherlands), and Audio Designer (Shanghai, China).
We also found openings for an Audio Designer at Remedy Entertainment (Finland), Sound Designer at Obsidian (CA, US), Sound Designer at PlayStation CSG (England), Sound Designer at PUBG San Ramon/Striking Distance Studios (CA, US), Senior Sound Designer at PUBG San Ramon/Striking Distance Studios (CA, US), Senior Researcher – Audio and Acoustics at Microsoft (WA, US), Audio Lead at Hardsuit Labs (WA, US), and Assistant or Associate Professors of Practice of Emerging Media Arts at The Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts (NE, US).
Highlighted opportunity: Hexany Audio is hiring a Technical Sound Designer full-time, in-house at their studio in LA, CA, US – get info & apply here
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Music Mark-Up/Audio Designer at Space Ape Games (England) and a Senior Audio Programmer, Senior Sound Designer, Senior Technical Sound Designer, and Technical Sound Designer at Alacrity Arthouse (GA, US). Happy job hunting!
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Oculus is a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking an innovative developer with a passion for innovation to push the state-of-the-art for AR & VR audio at our office in Redmond, WA. This role is focused on developing the public facing APIs and algorithms for spatial audio. The position requires strong C++ coding skills, experience with DSP, game audio engines, and a bonus for experience using middleware solutions like Wwise, FMOD, Unity and/or Unreal.
AUDIO SOFTWARE ENGINEER – AR/VR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze, design, develop and debug real time AR and VR audio algorithms.
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver software solutions.
- Develop software for a variety of consumer devices, including speakers, AR and VR headsets.
- Write clean readable code, debug complex problems, prioritize ruthlessly and get things done with a high level of efficiency.
- Learn constantly, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of AR/VR problem solving.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5 or more years C++ experience, including use of C++11 features.
- 5 or more years’ experience creating audio software for games or other real time environments.
- Proven track record of software development experience, including shipping one or more products.
- Problem solving and optimization experience.
- Communication experience and demonstrated experience working across disciplines to drive optimal solutions.
- Background in DSP.
- Experience with one or more game audio engines: Wwise, FMOD, Unity and/or Unreal.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Burbank, CA, US
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Audio Designer (Fixed Term Employment)
Onsite @ Insomniac Games in Burbank, CA
Fixed Term Employment is a new, at-will employment classification at Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”). A Fixed Term Employee (“FXT employee”) is an SIE employee possessing a highly valued and/or specialized skill set unique to Sony PlayStation, who is hired under a fixed term contract for a minimum term of one year and maximum term of three years to perform work on one or more specific projects(s). Fixed Term Employees are eligible for health, vision and dental benefits, and receive PTO.
Responsible for being an active and key contributor for the creative direction and style for audio assets and workflow processes throughout a production cycle. Creates, edits, and implements game-ready audio. Works closely with the rest of the audio team to maintain a high level of quality and consistency of assets.
- Highly proficient in creating complex sound effects, by using advanced audio methods and techniques to push the creative boundaries
- Employs advanced innovative strategies and best practices for sound implementation in the game that yield highest quality results
- Utilizes highly advanced technical experience to ensure sound effects meet technical requirements of game including voice channel limits, memory management, etc.
- Investigates sound effect issues to debug, fix and ensure sounds play correctly in the game
- Highly proficient and works independently at pre-mixing all sound effects when being implemented into game and oversees final sound design mix of the game
- Proactively and clearly communicates ideas and technical details with other teams/departments in the development process
- Independently communicates progress toward goals on a regular basis with audio director, audio lead and project manager
- Ability to perform high-level scripting tasks using visual scripting platforms
- Provides high level of knowledge and understanding of schedule creation and forecasting duration of tasks
- Regularly reviews the work of other sound designers and ensures that the work fits within the context and limitations of project/s
- Key contributor to defining sound design specifications and developing tone of audio for style guide documentation of projects
- Serves as a mentor to the audio team
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience focused on experience in original sound effect design, creation, mixing, processing and implementation or computer game product development experience.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: Highly proficient with multitrack project mixing software/hardware and session set-up (Avid Pro Tools experience preferred). Advanced experience with mixing stereo and surround sound formats. Advanced proficiency with PC-based sample editors (Sound Forge). Experience with Wwise and Audio Plug Ins. Comfortable and adept with both PC and Mac-based operating systems. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Other Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment. Emphasis in sound effect and dialogue mixing and post production work. Emphasis on microphone placement, operation and recording. Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and surround sound formats. Basic understanding of audio physics principles. Film or television production/location recording experience preferred. Understanding of music/ playing an instrument is a plus. Thoroughly understands the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time based effects as well as audio synthesis.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk. Employee is required to hear regularly. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee will be exposed to varying levels of sound based on work and project.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Audio Programmer will be part of Animation and Gameplay team and will work closely with animators, designers and programmers in order to extend the game audio features.
• Prototyping and coding audio features in C++ for UE4
• Collaborating with designers
Skills & Requirements
• At least 5 years of C++ 11 coding experience in game industry
• Solid, reliable and efficient code writing skills
• Good communication skills
• Performance and memory optimization skills
• Extensive knowledge of Unreal Engine (preferably UE4)
• Experience with any of the following: Fmod, Wwise, Unreal Audio
• English speaking
• Ability to work full-time in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Following is a plus
• Familiar with PUBG
• At least BS degree in Computer Science or similar
• Has successfully shipped at least one PC title (TPP or shooter)
Company: Ubisoft Shanghai
Location: Shanghai, China
Conception, realization and final rendering of parts of the audio in game, following and developing the intentions of the audio director. Report to the audio director.
Qualification & Technical competencies
- College degree in related field preferred
- 2-4 years sound design experience with credits of successful project(s)
- Solid skills in audio recording, processing and mixing (Pro Tools or Reaper is essential to master)
- Knowledgeable in entertainment industry in terms of video games, movies, TV series, music and fashion culture.
- Capability of creating/editing sound track efficiently for video clips following director’s intentions.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Commitment to personal and peer development and sharing best practices
- A passion for creating and playing video games
- Familiarity with a variety of audio middleware application
- Familiarity with audio specifications of various game platforms
- Dialogue & Field Recording experience
- Musical proficiency
- Understanding/ Experienced skill with scripts (Lua/Nodal etc.)
Optional but Advanced
- Basic programming skill with C, C++
- Ability to implementation basic programming algorithm
- Familiarity with Max/MSP (or Csound, Pd, etc.) , knowledge about audio programming and software DS
Why Ubisoft Shanghai?
Be a part of the most exciting and innovating video game company in China. Come to work in Shanghai, an amazing city renowned as “Paris of the East”. Together with a team of multi-national professionals equipped with the cutting-edge technologies, you can be assured of an experience that is both aspirational and fulfilling.
By working in Shanghai studio, you will also be offered with an array of career development opportunities, an abundant training resources, and moreover, a stimulating and creative work environment. If you’re looking for this kind of job opportunity, you’ll find it here at Ubisoft Shanghai. Join us for an exciting adventure and make great games!About Ubisoft & Shanghai Studio:
Ubisoft is a leading creator, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and services, with a rich portfolio of world-renowned brands, including Assassin’s Creed, Just Dance, Tom Clancy’s video game series, Rayman, Far Cry and Watch Dogs. The teams throughout Ubisoft’s worldwide network of studios and business offices are committed to delivering original and memorable gaming experiences across all popular platforms, including consoles, mobile phones, tablets and PCs. For the 2016-17 fiscal year Ubisoft generated sales of €1,460 million.
Created in 1996, Ubisoft Shanghai studio, is a vibrant and exciting place where our 400+ talents get opportunities to either co-develop great AAA blockbuster games, create cutting-edge online games or produce fun mobile games.
To learn more, please visit: www.ubisoftgroup.com