Just came across these two interesting audio opportunities for sound designers – from Rockstar North and Blizzard:
Location: Irvine – California , United States
Calling all Heroes! The World of Warcraft (WoW) sound team is looking for a fulltime senior sound designer to bolster their ranks here at Blizzard Entertainment. Our ideal champion must have a strong creative vision and an internal desire to wield mighty sonic weaponry in their pursuit of audio perfection. Come join our audio guild and help us to define the future sound of the Warcraft franchise.
The ideal candidate needs to have extensive experience with sound design and environmental audio. As a member of the WoW sound team you will work directly with both the sound supervisor and game producer to align creative vision and goals.
One must be comfortable in operating in a professional manner while constantly interfacing with the various game artists, designers and engineers in bringing their characters, creatures, and environments to life. The sound designer engages with music brethren to explore aesthetic opportunities and resolve any possible sonic conflicts.
The sound designer also contributes to a game’s user interface in order to give players feedback on their gaming experience. The ideal candidate is also able to collaborate with game designers in crafting an audio experience that compliments and melds seamlessly with game-play.
This person should also have an outstanding ability to not only create excellent, original content, but to successfully integrate it into the final product — working with other designers, actors, artists, producers, and programmers to make sure that great concepts make the transition from the microphone to the game on the shelves.
• Game audio production credits on multiple major shipped titles in role of sound designer
• Experience specifically in creating outstanding soundscapes and sound assets for video games
• Proven legacy of utilizing ones artistic “voice” in furthering a storyline via the medium of sound
• Experience designing sounds for fantasy games, specifically creature and spell work
• Experience utilizing sound effect recording sessions to gather resources for audio production
• Experience creatively producing sound effects, backgrounds, and foley for games
• Experience working with commercial and / or proprietary audio implementation tools
• Experience working in DAW workstations, including Nuendo or Pro Tools
• Able to work with equal effectiveness in both team and solo creative environments
• Experience editing and conforming sound-to-picture
• Experience mixing in stereo and surround-sound formats
• Experience using and troubleshooting Windows and Macintosh operating systems
• Demo reel or audio portfolio including representative examples of sound design experience.
• Development experience with MMOs
• Experience playing World of Warcraft
• “Building block DSP” such as Kyma, Max / MSP, or Reaktor expertise
• Computer-readable or level-design style scripting or light programming knowledge
• Experience developing games that use FMod
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Cover Letter which should include:
• Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
• What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Company: Rockstar North
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Rockstar North is looking for a talented and passionate sound designer with a track record of games development, to help push our award-winning audio team to even greater heights. The role will include significant creative freedom to help shape the overall feel of future Rockstar titles.
• Creation and tuning of in-game sound effects – from raw wave asset creation through to tuning in-game behaviour and mixing, using a combination of commercial and in-house tools.
• Working closely with audio programmers to agree and then refine audio systems.
• Working with level designers to understand and implement per-mission audio requirements.
• Managing recording sessions, eg vehicle engines, foley, ambience.
• Scheduling and tracking of their own work, and co-ordinating work with other members of the audio team.
• Expert knowledge of popular DAW packages such as Pro Tools or REAPER.
• Commercial experience using interactive audio middleware such as Wwise or FMOD.
• Understanding of technical limitations and trade-offs, and an interest in exploring the potential of new audio technology.
• Ability to create and tune extremely high-quality audio assets from scratch, to a creative brief.
• Understanding of granular synthesis and other procedural audio techniques.
• Understanding of environmental acoustics, and ability to create assets suitable for diverse open-world environments.
• Knowledge of recording techniques and technologies – microphones, audio recording equipment, etc.
• Applicants should have at least one published game, and include a showreel demonstrating examples of their personal contribution.
• Applicants lacking in games industry experience will also be considered where they have exceptional sound design experience in another industry, and can demonstrate an understanding of, and an interest in, interactive sound design.