We came across interesting new jobs at RocketWerkz, Studio Drydock, Shopee, and Platinum Games – and they’re looking for an Audio Engineer (New Zealand), Audio Director (Remote), Game Sound Designer (Indonesia), and Sound Designer (Japan).
We also found openings for a Music Composer at Platinum Games (Japan), Audio Engineer at USR Studio (CA, US), Audio Assistant at Bonnier Books UK (England), Senior Audio Researcher, Advanced Technology at Sonos (MA, US), Audio Research Scientist at Jabra (Denmark), AR/VR Sound Designer via Apex Systems (WA, US), Sound Designer at Blizzard (CA, US), and an Audio Project Manager at Ubisoft (Germany). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Enter this new sound design contest for your chance to win great SFX from Sound of Essen. Learn more about the impressive sound for The Last of Us Part II. Getting your game audio pipeline right is essential for a smooth-running development process – here’s how to do it. Meet someone with one of the coolest jobs out there – Alexandria Perryman, Emmy Award-Winning NASA Audio Engineer. Get the stories behind 12 Emmy nominees for Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Original Music Composition.
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Help us create bold, immersive audio in a gritty sci-fi universe. Stunning visas, foreboding surrounds, realistic machinery, an ecosystem teeming with creatures – we need you to bring it to life.In this role you will:
- Design ambient and sound effect assets
- Work with the team to implement dynamic audio systems
- Polish and refine created audio to studio standards
- Understand the game design and desired player experience
- Design sounds with an emphasis on authenticity and how it would sound and function in real life
- 4+ years professional audio experience, ideally in sound design
- An understanding of game audio pipelines
- Pro user of Cubase and/or ProTools
- Experience with FMOD (or a similar audio engine)
- An understanding of game audio implementation
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Any experience in Unreal engine will be a real plus
Sharing a link to a portfolio of sounds you have created, ideally in action inside a game or interactive experience, is highly recommended.
The position is full time, permanent and onsite in Auckland. Assistance is provided for relocation & support for obtaining a visa. We highly value diversity. Regardless of disability, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or any other aspects of your culture or identity you have an important role to play in our team.
Company: Studio Drydock
We’re looking for someone to craft the aural experience of our game. If you’re up for the challenge of crafting the complete audio experience of a cozy, accessible game for consoles, PC, tablet and mobile, we want to hear from you!
What we’re looking for:
- Concept, placeholder and temp-tracking of sound and music to establish the game’s audio style.
- Sourcing and/or recording of foley for all of the game’s in-game and UI sound effects. The game covers both realistic and fantasy elements.
- Coordinating with and/or supervising the musical direction of the game.
- Help with the direction and integration of full character voice over for all in-game dialogue.
- Planning and scheduling of the entire audio production from concept to shipping.
Our dream candidate:
- Loves every aspect of audio design, and has a passion for sharing great design found in games and other media.
- Has a deep understanding of “cozy” games, builders or life simulation games.
- Understands and appreciates the considerations and opportunities afforded by designing for console, PC, tablet and mobile devices.
- A kind and supportive team member – someone who doesn’t hesitate to give others feedback on their work in a way that makes them feel valued, and is excited to present their ideas when others have problems.
- Work around your family and personal commitments. Work any hours of the day and week that make sense for you. We generally communicate over Slack or email, with occasional voice/video chat when convenient.
- You will need to have some reasonable timezone overlap with both Melbourne and the US. Sorry, European applicants!
- We’ll be trusting you to be self-motivated and able to manage your own time and workload; we won’t be micromanaging your task list.
About Studio Drydock
Studio Drydock is making games for diverse audiences, and it’s super-important to us that our team is just as unique and varied. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t think you meet all of the criteria. You won’t find any guns or explosions in Studio Drydock games; we’re making experiences for the vast majority of the world that finds fun in creativity, exploration and building. Studio Drydock is built on a foundation of support and independence in equal measure. We value our team members’ unique experiences and trust them to do their jobs the way they know how, knowing people will reach out when they need it.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Follow and assist in the creative and technical execution of the audio vision set out by the Product Manager / Game Designer
- Help set out the direction for the audio assets needed in the game
- Design high quality audio assets – Create, record, edit audio for Background Music, Sound effects and Voice over.
- Test all aspects of the audio to ensure playback is as intended and fit for commercial release
- Participate in planning and milestone delivery for the assets
- Participate in establishing and maintaining the overall audio quality for the game
- Optimize the sound assets to meet the performance and memory requirements of the game engine for HTML5 games
- 2+ years industry experience in mobile, social, or free2play games.
- Respond well to artistic direction but can deliver with minimal supervision.
- Manage responsibilities across multiple projects.
- Implement audio using in-house tools or industry standard audio middleware
- Ability to match the sounds assets to the overall themes and art direction
- Style and technique versatility, can work on a range of games with different themes with focus on casual over hardcore games.
- Verbal and written communication skills in English
- Shipped multiple mobile games
Company: Platinum Games
Location: Osaka or Tokyo, Japan
- Creating sound for player, enemies, user interfaces, and other in-game elements
- Implementing sound effects in-game, primarily with Wwise
- Finding appropriate sounds from our internal sound library or foley recordings, processing them for use in-game, and implementing them with Wwise or other middleware
- Communicating with other staff to provide ideas and feedback on how to improve our sound design
- A passion for game sound
- The drive to work with other staff to make enjoyable games, using their own unique abilities
- The desire to improve overall game quality by using their own skills and cooperating with other staff
- An interest in researching and using new sound technology and equipment to improve the production pipeline
The ability to create quality sound effects using a DAW (Nuendo, etc) and digital audio editors
Lead Sound Designer positions also require:
Experience using Wwise to implement sound, doing sound direction, or managing sound outsourcing schedules
Substantial experience with foley and/or field recordingsConditions
No games industry experience is required, but applicants must be able to contribute to game development as a sound designer.