We came across 4 interesting jobs at Aftershock, Riot Games, Blizzard, and Ubisoft – and they’re looking for an Audio Director, Audio Coordinator, Senior Sound Designer, and Technical Audio Director. We also just heard about a new Sound Supervisor position at Blizzard here, and Sound Designer and Junior Sound Designer positions at Ninja Theory here.
Happy job hunting!
Company: Aftershock (FoxNext)
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
The Audio Director will be responsible for the overall vision and execution of all audio content for internally developed mobile games at Fox Next. The team is currently working on games based on the Marvel universe and James Cameron’s Avatar. The ideal candidate would not only be an expert in making games sound great, but also in understanding what is best for the player’s experience.
• Deliver a AAA audio experience for players through your expertise in sound design, dialog processing, music direction, integration and final mixing.
• Organize a small audio team and define production pipelines and standards.
• Manage the workload and schedules for internal and external content creators.
• Manage budgets for audio equipment and external vendors.
• Collaborate with engineers to build and refine audio tools.
• Manage priorities to get the most from tight schedules and limited resources.
• Be the advocate for the audio department and ensure it has all necessary resources.
• Regularly communicate with the game team and embrace their intent for the player experience.
• Proactively pursue innovative ways to perfect the player experience through sound.
• 8+ years experience in video game development with multiple titles shipped.
• Experience shipping titles for mobile devices (ie. iOS and Android).
• Experience shipping at least one title using Wwise.
• Experience working in DAW workstations, such as Nuendo, Pro Tools, REAPER, etc.
• Experience with multiple game engines (i.e. Unity, proprietary, etc.).
• Experience with task tracking and version control software (JIRA, Perforce, etc.).
FoxNext is driving immersive, next generation entertainment experiences in the areas of virtual and augmented reality, mobile, console and pc games and location-based entertainment across Twentieth Century Fox Film and Fox Network Group. The division consists of FoxNext Games, FoxNext Destinations and FoxNext VR Studio. Fox has a successful track record identifying exceptional games and publishing partners across the mobile and console/PC space, such as Family Guy: Another Freakin’ Mobile Game, Animation Throwdown: The Quest for Cards, The Simpsons Tapped Out, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, Ice Age Adventures, Sugar Smash: Book of Life and Alien: Isolation. FoxNext VR Studio will oversee VR experiences, such as the already announced ALIEN and PLANET OF THE APES productions, and work to commercialize Fox’s overarching VR strategy. FoxNext Destinations will oversee the company’s location-based entertainment business including the development of the 20th Century Fox World theme park in Malaysia.
Aftershock Studios, a division of FoxNext Games, is on a never-ending mission to create unforgettable games for mobile devices. Our studio was built by passionate game makers dedicated to crafting playful, smart, addictively fun experiences. We care about accessibility, depth, innovation, and production values… but most of all, we care about our community of players. We don’t just make games, we play and love them too, making player empathy a core value for all of us.
If you’re thinking about joining our close-knit team you should love games, be world-class at making them, and understand fundamentally that great business results come from great games and loyal players. At Aftershock Studios you’ll be working with some of the best developers in the world from hit games and franchises including This Means War, Command & Conquer, Battle for Middle-earth, and Empires & Allies.
Company: Riot Games
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Audio Coordinator, you’ll play a dynamic role on a cross-functional discipline, with the opportunity to grow in sound design craft. You’ll help with defining and executing new pipelines and processes, making sure that the audio discipline is supported, and maintaining relationships with our vendors. We’re looking for someone who is highly organized and is passionate about becoming a sound designer themselves.
• Experienced: you have a background in sound design or similar media, and have a strong passion to continue a pursuit of that.
• Gamer: gaming is both what you do, and who you are. You never need to find an excuse to play games, it’s a natural part of what you do.
• Approachable: you listen to others and are sensitive to any communication style; others trust you and feel comfortable coming to you with all the info, so any rising problems can be identified and tackled before they spiral into fiery vortices of bad vibrations.
• Comfortable with ambiguity: when changes are made, you keep a cool head and fight on, even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because challenge motivates you to evolve and innovate.
• A facilitator: you efficiently and effectively keep projects on track by aligning the right people, materials, and support needed to get the job done; your well-organized file system facilitates quick action when work situations break bad and you help organize and run meetings.
• Passionate about Sound Design: you are in the know about audio gear and needs. You’re able and excited to talk shop about all things audio.
• Ambitious & Driven: you don’t wait for opportunity to knock – you kick the door off its hinges to grab it first; armed with a five, ten, and hundred-year plan (subject to change, of course), you’re constantly seeking the next challenge that’ll level up your skills.
• Manage and define pipelines for the audio discipline in order to allow the designers to stay focused on design
• Be responsible for ordering and maintaining gear and software for the audio discipline
• Work with teams across Riot on emergent logistical needs that could block delivery of awesome to our players and product teams
• Own & facilitate team outings, events, knowledge share meetings, and other audio centered events and gatherings
• Maintain the discipline sound library and documentation, including tagging, archiving, backup, and guides
• Hone your sound design skills with the intention of growing into a designer in the future
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
The Heroes of the Storm team is looking for a Senior Sound Designer. The ideal candidate needs to have extensive sound design experience with demonstrable skill creating magical abilities, character and environmental audio. The Senior Sound Designer will work closely with the sound supervisor, game producers, artists, and designers to bring their characters and environments to life. This person should be comfortable collaborating with game designers to create an audio experience that compliments and melds seamlessly with game-play. The ideal candidate must have an outstanding ability to not only create excellent, original content, but to successfully utilize our game tools to integrate their work into the final product — ensuring that great concepts make the transition from the microphone to the game on the shelves.
• Proven skills and a unique artistic “voice” in terms of communicating and furthering a storyline via the medium of sound.
• Experience specifically in creating outstanding sound assets for video games including magical spells, creatures, foley and ambiance.
• Experience with live recording sessions, both in the studio and in the field.
• Experience designing and conforming sound-to-picture.
• Experience with multi-channel audio formats.
• Able to work with equal effectiveness, both solo and as part of a project team.
• Experience using and troubleshooting Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
• A passion for field recording and audio source creation.
• Experience developing games that use Audiokinetic Wwise or FMod Studio.
• “Building block DSP” such as Kyma, Max / MSP, or Reaktor expertise.
• Computer-readable or level-design style scripting or light programming knowledge.
Required Application Materials:
• Cover Letter
• Applicants must submit online demo reel showing relevant experience.
Company: Ubisoft Toronto
Location: Toronto, Canada
As Technical Director for the Audio department you will use your technical and creative skills to ensure that the vision of the Audio Director is successfully implemented in the game, supporting the audio team by designing audio systems of different level of complexity, managing content and resources, maximizing audio quality and aesthetic realisation.
The incumbent is a senior sound designer or audio integrator by training and is known for his/her strong technical and creative skills. As part of a multidisciplinary team, the Technical Director Audio (TDA) will be a reference for team members, the incumbent will assist, support and advise colleagues whenever necessary. The TDA may also be called upon as one of the project’s technical experts on a specific part of the audio design in the game such as weapons, vehicles, dialogue systems, music, etc.
The main and routine tasks of the Technical Director Audio are to:
• Collaborate closely with the Audio Director and sound designers creating, improving and integrating audio features and content in the game using the middleware and the visual scripting tools in game engine.
• Coordinate and act as a bridge between the audio department and other Technical Directors to ensure that audio features can be successfully integrated in missions, open world systems, mini games, DLCs, etc.
• Identify technical audio needs for the project and communicate them to the technical architect and programming Team.
• Maintain the audio project structure ensuring that the audio workflow, system resources, filename conventions and audio quality is consistent.
• Create and design audio systems like music system, dialogue, navigation, weapons, vehicles, etc.
• Design and improve audio tools with the programming department.
• Bachelor’s degree in music or audio or professional training in audio
• Computer science training an asset
• Game design training an asset
• At least 5+ years’ experience in audio production and implementation for video games
• Delivery of over 1-3 AAA games as part of a production team
• Film or TV postproduction experience an asset
• Extensive knowledge of audio engines and middleware such as Wwise, Fmod, etc.
• Extensive knowledge of DAW tools (e.g. Reaper, Pro Tools, Sound forge)
• Organization skills
• Curiosity and drive to understand how things work
• Solid team player
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
• Adaptability, autonomy, proactivity
• Structure, attention to detail, efficiency
• Ability to understand and communicate in technical language
• Experience with engines and/or platforms
• Experience designing/creating tools (Python, LUA, C++, C#) experience an asset
• Knowledge of the Office suite
• Ability to quickly learn and master new software
• Competitive Salary
• Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Scored by The Economist as the Best City to Live, our studio is located in the trendy Junction Triangle located in West Toronto, close to TTC, the hottest bars and restaurants, and excellent coffee shops. We celebrate successes as a team at our monthly UbiBash events, and invite our families to events throughout the year including our annual Kids Holiday Party and Summer BBQ. We give back to help make our community better through our team volunteer days and fundraising activities. We hold regular game jams to fuel our team’s creativity. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and provides the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development, flexible days, on-site Yoga and Bootcamp classes, fresh fruit, Life Drawing classes, as well as spontaneous team surprises such as Pi Day, Star Wars Day, and Halloween.
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Ubisoft Toronto was honoured in 2017 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the second consecutive year.