Location: Austin, Texas, USA
BioWare Austin is seeking a skilled and dynamic Contract Audio Artist to assist with the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™. This is a contract position lasting up to 12 months in duration. No relocation benefits will be provided. The ideal candidate will have a mix of a passion for games, musicianship and sound design.
What the Audio Artist will do at BioWare:
• Work with the Audio Lead to design, create and implement in-game audio assets following creative and technical visions
• Performs in-game implementation/integration of all types of audio assets using proprietary tools and systems.
• Designs, creates, edits, and mixes audio content in accordance with game project’s design goals.
• Creates audio assets using tools such as Wwise, Sound Forge, ProTools, Audition, etc.
• Partners with designers, engineers, and other team members to solve game audio development issues.
• Trouble-shoots and debugs game audio systems.
• Assists with voice over and localization audio requirements as needed.
Who You Are:
• Minimum 1 year experience in game audio or similar professional experience
• Great communication and teamwork skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent sound design skills and strong technical audio vision
• Proficiency using professional audio software and hardware
• Ability to make high quality audio and process externally created music, VO, and SFX for in-game use
• Solid understanding of audio and music design for cinematic game sequences
• Solid understanding of the software development process
• Solid understanding of basic game design concepts
• Solid understanding of audio software and middleware used to create and manipulate sound effects such as Wwise, FMod, Sound Forge, ProTools, Audition, etc.
• A drive to continually advance the art and science of game audio
The ideal candidate will also have some mix of the following:
• Background in music editing or production
• Familiarity with version control software such as Perforce
• Experience in object based audio tools such as Max/MSP or PureData
• Strong synthesis abilities
• Diploma in Sound Design or equivalent from a post-secondary institution
*Please submit a demo reel with application
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
The opportunity to work and learn from a world-class games studio making world-class games. We are a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Company: Traveller’s Tales
Location: Knutsford, UK
Traveller’s Tales are looking for a passionate Sound Designer to join its successful Audio team in Knutsford. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work on high profile projects, creating great audio with a talented and creative team.
You should be incredibly passionate about game sound design, always looking for ways to improve the sound and technology used within our games.
• Working with Sound Effects:
– Creating SFX, from library or original recordings.
– Implementing SFX – using Traveller’s Tales bespoke editors.
• Working with Cutscenes:
– Laying-out all audio assets (Music/FX/VO/Ambience) mixed in Surround-Sound.
– Liaising with Animation department.
• Working with Music (whether bespoke, composed or licence):
– Editing music files (all aspects), to make game-ready.
• Working with Voice-overs (VO):
– Working with and editing localised VO.
• For all aspects of Audio:
– Detailed knowledge of the most common DAWs and plugins.
– The ability to adapt to new technology and game engine tools.
– Awareness of Memory/Disc/ISO management.
– Working with artists, animators and programmers in determining solutions to problems.
– Assisting in testing audio on release platforms.
– Working on multiple projects, simultaneously, according to priorities.
– Additional tasks, as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
• HND or above in a related Audio field or relevant Game Audio experience as to meet a similar technical level.
• Excellent sound design skills with creative flare.
• Professional understanding of Game Audio technology.
• Good communication and organisational skills.
• Ability to work within strict deadlines.
• Must be pro-active.
• Knowledge of audio middleware.
The ideal candidate will craft an experience with their work, consider the flow of the game and above all, drive some unique aural experiences.
Are you excited by the sound of this position?
If you think you can help us take our sound to the next level, we want to hear from you!
To apply please provide a covering letter, CV and a link to your showreel and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of the recruitment process you will be expected to complete a sound design task.
Location: Redwood City, CA, USA
From our ground-breaking work on the Dead Space series, through the hard-hitting Battlefield Hardline , and now into the rich world of Star Wars , Visceral’s audio team has a long history of excellence, innovation, and industry-leading quality. Help us bring it to the next level.
We are looking for an experienced Audio Director to head our award-winning audio department, a world-class leader who can make an immediate contribution to all aspects of audio development for Visceral. The successful candidate has hands-on experience in all phases of audio design and production for AAA games, with proficiency in every key component – sound design, music editing, voice production and implementation, mix – as well as a keen ear, outstanding communication skills, and a fundamental dedication to teamwork. The ideal candidate has extensive experience growing a team and leading, managing, developing, and mentoring audio staff. Highly refined abilities to provide meaningful, timely critique, to establish an innovative vision and guide a talented team toward it, and to navigate the challenges of AAA development toward a world class end result are essential.
Reporting to the studio GM, the Audio Director collaborates closely with the Creative Director, art, technical, and design leadership, and the rest of the audio team to establish creative direction for all of the game’s sonic content, as well as develop and codify tools, processes, best practices and development parameters for the game’s production. The Audio Director both leads and manages the audio team, as well as provides key creative input to the larger game team. The Audio Director is ultimately responsible for the final sonic presentation of the game, with the expectation that it is at an industry-leading level of quality.
• Oversee all audio design and production for the studio
• Lead the audio team with strong creative direction and an open mind
• Manage the audio team with an eye toward developing talent, mentorship, career growth
• Help build the audio budget, schedule, milestones, and staffing within the project
• Identify, contract and supervise key external sound designers, composers, other audio production staff
• Mixing for game, cut scenes, and marketing videos
• Oversee implementation of audio assets and assist in tool design and development
• Develop expert, hands-on knowledge of complete audio pipeline and contribute to EA’s worldwide audio group’s continuous improvement
• Advocate for and evangelize quality audio on the team, studio, and company-wide levels
• 12+ years’ experience in game audio
• 5+ shipped AAA titles, at least 2 credited as Audio Director or equivalent
• Demonstrated experience in cross-platform development including current gen consoles
• Demonstrated ability to innovate and create great product within resource and time constraints
• An ear for detail while hearing the big picture and a well-developed creative and aesthetic sense
• Strong technical implementation abilities a plus: Wwise, FMOD, or similar proprietary toolset; experience with visual scripting systems highly preferred; C#, Python, and/or Lua scripting a bonus
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including ability to discuss advanced game audio topics with experts as well as non-experts, and to interact with executives, the press, and the public as necessary
• Experience and enthusiasm for building, leading, managing, and mentoring audio team
• High energy level, positive attitude, insistence on excellence, and a professional demeanor under all circumstances
• We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401K company match, ESPP and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Company: Behaviour Interactive
Location: Montreal, Canada
Based in Montreal and in Santiago, Chile, Behaviour Interactive is one of the largest independent game developer in North America. Anchored in the industry for more than 25 years now, its success is characterized by its versatility to create games based on leading brands, but also original IP’s across all major platforms. Behaviour is a Canadian company with an entrepreneurial culture that promotes opportunities and personal development at the same time that giving their employees the feeling of making a difference.
In collaboration with the audio lead, the sound designer will elaborate the audio design for the game.
• Conceive audio design for the title
• Design systems to dictate audio behavior in the game
• Implement audio in the game
• Test and validate audio
• A portfolio containing examples of sound to picture work is required.
• Diploma in sound design, recording or music.
• Experience with the entire production cycle for a video game, from pre-production to shipping
• Knowledge of general techniques related to sound (recording, post-production, foley, SFX, music)
• Experience with putting sound to a visual medium
• Excellent knowledge of industry tools
• Ability to respect deadlines and adapt to scheduling changes
• Ability to function as part of a team
• Good organization skills, creative mind, troubleshooting skills
• Bilingual (English-French)
• Passion for video games