We came across 4 interesting jobs at Creative Assembly, Avalanche, PlayStation, and Naughty Dog – and they’re looking for a Trainee Music Designer, Sound Programmer, Music Production Assistant Intern, and Temp Sound Designer.
Company: Creative Assembly
Location: Horsham, UK
Joining the multi-award winning Total War team and reporting to the Audio Director, the Music Designers’ primary purpose is to support the creation of AAA calibre music productions on assigned projects, working with our team of audio engineers, programmers, orchestrators and musicians to deliver a stellar music experience for the multi award-winning Total War titles developed at the studio.
This exciting new role will see you supporting the Total War audio team to achieve excellence with their musical productions. You will be involved in a wide range of creative and technical activities such as creating MIDI mock-ups, producing re-mixes of existing music, music editing, develop interactive music systems and new designs, recording musicians, creating Kontakt instruments, score reading and assisting at orchestral recording sessions, implementing and mixing content for our productions.
You will integrate and mix audio content into games using in-house tools and other 3rd party software and liaise with internal quality assurance staff and Development Managers to ensure music testing is adequately covered. This role is ideally suited to applicants who have experience in and a passion for cinematic soundtrack production. Ideally you will be musically educated to at least degree level. A show-reel demonstrating cinematic music production is required to be considered for this position.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Solid MIDI programming, demonstrating excellence with cinematic and orchestral music mock-ups.Capable of arranging and/or re-mixing existing material to a high standard
• Experience editing music
• Experience recording musicians and able to guide performances
• Experienced with ProTools and Native Instruments Kontakt
• Able to read music and firm grasp on musical theory
• Strong organisational skills
• Comfortable working in a mixed Mac and PC environment
• Able to learn new in-house audio tools and software for integrating content
• Able to work as a team player and under own initiative
• A keen interest in and a passion for cinematic/orchestral soundtrack music and video games
• Able to multi-task projects, plan and schedule music production efforts while remaining quality focused and adhering to deadlines
• Ability to orchestrate and produce notated scores, either with Finale or Sibelius
• In-house experience within a game development studio or post-production facility working on Video Games
• Degree in Music or related qualification
• Musically proficient on at least one instrument
• Knowledge and familiarity of Total War brand
• Experience with the Wwise audio engine
• Familiarity with Digital Performer
• Comfortable programming software or hardware synthesizers
The traineeship will be for one year onsite at our studio in Horsham, West Sussex. These traineeships are paid placements and all applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK. Please ensure you provide a portfolio of your work along with your application.
We are Creative Assembly
We gather the greatest talent out there, coming together to craft authentic and detailed experiences of the highest quality. We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft.
Company: Avalanche Studios
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Avalanche Studios are looking for an experienced Sound Programmer generalist to work on an exciting and unique title at their Malmö Studio. At Avalanche Studios you will work with some of the industry’s most exciting technology and talented individuals.
As the sound programmer you will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining sound related systems within the Avalanche engine. This will involve using our in-house sound development tools as well as the fmod middleware api and our C++ game engine code. You will work closely with the rest of the game team and our sound designers to produce a great open world game and you will be instrumental in our efforts to innovate within the area of sound in an open world. The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated individual who is good at communicating and working within cross-discipline teams.
• C/C++ fluency
• Experience from sound and/or games systems development
• A strong passion for sound and games
• Desired Qualifications
• Prior experience as a sound programmer on at least one shipped title on current-gen consoles
• Experience from working with fmod or other sound middlewares
• Audio codec experience
• Streaming / resource management
• Scripting (python or similar)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed resume and cover letter. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and – above all – thriving game development community. With our creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.
Location: Playa Vista, CA, USA
Assisting Music Supervisors in integrating music in video games and Music Editors in audio production work and integrating music in video games. Also requires the ability to effectively support key members of development teams, producers, composers and other disciplines while they work in the audio production facilities.
Audio Production and Music Integration Support: Providing equipment support and team member support for a variety of project audio production needs. Assist audio leads on technical and operational support for the successful execution of audio production. Assist Music Supervisors with the integration and testing of music in video games.
Facilities Maintenance Support: Support Audio production facilities maintenance and management. Assist with equipment setup, configuring, and maintenance. Assist with DAW setup and support.
• Passion for video games
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Exposure and some knowledge of audio middleware and implementation tools
• Love of music
• Attention to detail
• Strong business communication skills
• Expert Pro Tools knowledge
• Scripting/coding knowledge a plus
• Interest in VR/Immersive a plus
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Company: Naughty Dog
Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA
Naughty Dog is looking for a temporary (contract), on-site sound designer who has demonstrated excellence in both creative and technical work. The ideal candidate possesses a strong cinematic style and obsessive attention to detail, as well as passion for field recording and creating bespoke assets for each project. A strong, clear communication style is required as collaboration is an essential feature to making games at Naughty Dog.
• Create sound assets for many different systems and scenarios
• Implement sound assets using our proprietary tools
• Work with and help manage outsourcing partners
Requirements & Skills:
• 3+ years game audio experience with at least one shipped AAA credit
• Expert command of sound design & mixing with a variety of techniques, processes and tools – able to competently produce any kind of audio required for a given task
• Familiarity with Wwise, Fmod, Scream, or similar authoring environment – a grasp of programming fundamentals as they apply to scripting dynamic audio is a bonus
• Field Recording experience – a passion for unique, inspired recordings with a knowledge of recording gear, microphones and techniques
• Strong problem solving skills – able to accurately assess issues and formulate creative solutions, whether design or technical
• Excellent communication skills – able to give and request assistance with problems and issues across the development team
• Great team attitude – collaborative and client focused – you are receptive to changes and direction in this dynamic atmosphere
• Experience with sound editing/design in linear media (film/tv/ads)
As a part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates will be expected to provide samples of their work and may be asked to complete a test. This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh Services. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for this position.