We came across interesting new jobs at Oculus Burlingame, Dolby, Blind Squirrel Entertainment, and Zwift – and they’re looking for a Sound Designer (CA, US), Audio and Acoustics Researcher (Remote, US), Audio Director (CA, US), and Senior Audio Designer (Remote / CA, US).
We also found openings for a Sound Designer at Cloud Imperium (England), Development Director (Audio) at EA Vancouver (BC, Canada), Sound Designer Marketing at Gameloft Montréal (QC, Canada), QA Lead – Audio at Gameloft Montréal (QC, Canada), Temporary Mid/Senior Audio Designer at Unbroken Studios (CA, US), Audio Engineer at Oculus Shanghai (SH, China), Audio Engineer at Peleton (NY, US), Sound Designer at Blackbird Interactive (BC, Canada), Audio Engineer at Archiact (BC, Canada), Audio and Acoustics Researcher at Dolby (Remote), Staff Games Audio Software Engineer at Dolby San Francisco (CA, US), Sound Creator at GungHo Online Japan (Japan), Audio Editor at CyberWire (Fulton, MD, US) , and Producer at GungHo Online America (CA, US).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Location Mixer/Assistant Sound Editor at Noise Floor (IL, US), AV Ops Manager at Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (France), and Audio Editor at SIDE Audio (England). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week:
→ Introducing the Game Audio Power List – here it is
→ Zack Snyder shares his thoughts and insights on music and sound design for film.
→ The results are in: the mystery sound – and sound quiz winners – revealed!
→ Award-winning composers Pinar Toprak, Nainita Desai, and Jonathan Snipes share insights on how to succeed as a film composer.
Company: Oculus Burlingame
Location: Burlingame, CA, US
Facebook Sound Design is looking for a technically-oriented Sound Designer to join our award-winning team. Help build the next generation of Social VR in Facebook’s Horizon. The role reports into the Sound Design team, but involves working closely with the Engineering, Art, and Product Design teams to specify sound functionality, realize advanced implementations, optimize performance, refine tooling, and solve difficult bugs. It’s a critical-thinking and problem-solving role with a long runway for creativity and innovation.Responsibilities
- Design innovative solutions to unique opportunities in immersive audio
- Partner closely with Engineering on audio functionality, performance, optimization, and diagnosing bugs
- Learn, support, and refine a complex cross-functional development environment and pipeline
- Support other Sound Designers with advanced implementation and functionality
- Understand and help define the long-view compromises between quality and performance, innovation and accessibility, etc.
- Help rapidly on-board new designers
- Participate in quality reviews, giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Advocate for audio and champion quality throughout the product
- 4+ years of professional sound design and implementation experience focused on high-quality games or other interactive experiences
- Experience working with spatialized audio in an interactive environment
- Experience working directly in game engines (Unity, Unreal, etc.), and with audio middleware (Wwise, FMOD, etc.)
- Experience with version control systems on large teams (Perforce, Git, etc.)
- Proven cross-functional communication skills
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced and quickly evolving environment
- Experience in AR/VR
- Basic coding proficiency
Location: Remote, US
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The world is changing, with audio devices being connected to the internet and delivering a continuous blend of entertainment, communications and information services. The industry is predicting that within the next few years most households will have multiple voice-interface capable devices and that these devices will be able to cooperate to deliver new use cases and enhanced experiences. Delivering such solutions requires a blend of creative and diverse thinking and the ability to venture from the conventional. At Dolby, we think differently about technology innovation, and the successful applicant will be joining a well-resourced team at the peak of creativity, creating core technology and IP to power the next “connected-life” experiences.
Your role at Dolby is leading development, prototyping, and refining of new algorithms that enable an amazing variety of experiences in communications, speech recognition, and spectacular audio playback by intelligently understanding the audio world around us. This exciting role will have significant growth opportunity, pushing you to break with conventional thinking on topics such as spatial audio rendering, source localization, echo cancellation, and system robustness.
To take on this role, you will need a strong theoretical background in audio signal processing along with practical hands-on experience working with real audio equipment. You are proficient in at least one software language and ready to take, learn and integrate ideas and code from others. You have experience
leading practical research projects and the diligence to transfer knowledge and learnings forward.Essential Job Functions
- Algorithm Development
- Develop algorithms from conception to testing in real environments
- Integrate algorithms into a larger complex interconnected system
- Software Engineering
- Implement real-time audio algorithms
- Collaborate on large codebases
- Work with networked audio infrastructure and processing at scale
- Technical Documentation
- Write and maintain detailed technical documentation
- Read and write technical research papers
- Protect intellectual property with a strong patent portfolio
- M.S or Ph.D. with a focus on audio and acoustic signal processing
- Exposure to audio algorithm development in an industry setting
- Solid background in the theory and application of digital audio signal processing, linear algebra, and probability
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, prototype, and collaborate in the area of audio signal processing through projects, papers, products, and/or patents
- Experience leading practical research projects
- Experience with real-time implementation of audio algorithms
- Practical experience with audio playback and recording equipment
- Software engineering training or demonstrable proficiency in MATLAB, C/C++, Python, Julia, or R
- English written and verbal communication
- Technical understanding of and experience with several of the following:
- Spatial audio perception and reproduction
- Standard audio algorithms such as filtering, dynamics processing, noise reduction, etc.
- Frequency domain processing
- Psychoacoustic models
- Room and transducer acoustics
- Acoustic measurement techniques
- Numerical optimization
- Adaptive and statistical signal processing
- Source localization and separation
- Multichannel signal processing for microphones and loudspeakers
- Deep learning
- Critical listening skills
- Background in music
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12Equal Employment Opportunity
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Company: Blind Squirrel Entertainment
Location: Santa Ana, CA, US
The Audio Director is responsible for setting and executing on our audio goals of delivering rich, immersive and memorable soundscapes for our games. We're looking for an audio leader who will inspire others with their expertise, knowledge and drive for audio excellence. They will be the driving factor of building great relationships within development, publishing, and external contracting teams.Requirement:
- Hire, organize and manage all audio requirements at Blind Squirrel Games
- Edit music and dialogue as well as process and mix both sound and music
- Set the Audio Direction for projects, defining guidelines, tone, musical style, implementation and execution
- Optimizes sound assets to meet memory budget and performance requirements.
- Identify technical audio requirements for projects and work closely with programming team
- Direct vo and music recording sessions
- Determine the audio resources and budget required for projects
- Work with Creative Director to manage the final mix of the game.
- Technical curiosity, creativity
- Experience implementing audio using proprietary tools or commercial middleware
- Required familiarity of some scripting/coding language, experience with C, C++ a plus
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in audio production for video games
- Delivery of two or more AAA games in an Audio/Sound role
- Bachelor's degree in music or audio or professional training in audio, CS degree a plus
- Strong knowledge of audio post process plugins
- Strong collaboration and communication skills across teams
- Extensive knowledge of Pro Tools
- Solid knowledge of studio audio equipment
Location: Remote / Long Beach, CA, US
Location: Long Beach, CA or US Remote (in select states)
About the role and about You:
We are looking for a fearless & talented Senior Audio Designer to bring AAA sound experiences to Zwift, the world’s most immersive virtual cycling and running platform. The ideal candidate will have deep technical and creative experience designing & implementing audio for video games or other interactive entertainment. This role requires exceptional partnership skills and ability to execute with a high level of autonomy.
What you’ll do:
- Design & implement audio across all of Zwift’s game features, worlds and experiences
- Lead audio outsourcing partnerships for creation of SFX, VO and music
- Advise and partner with the game’s Creative Directors
- Create clear, actionable audio design docs & presentations in support of features & content
- Partner with Engineers and Tech Leadership on audio implementation and build-out of associated tools & pipeline
- Partner with Producers to ensure accurate scoping, scheduling and on-time deliveries, including outsourced audio
- Serve as the Creative Team’s point of contact for audio outsourcing partners
- 7+ years experience in audio design, direction & implementation (preferably for video games), with multiple shipped products
- Depth and breadth of technical and creative audio skills; ability to create, implement and direct
- Strong documentation, presentation & organization skills
- A diplomatic & inclusive temperament with a cross-discipline approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable with ambiguity, a lightning-fast pace, and a high degree of ownership
- Finalists will be required to provide work samples
- Experience shipping cross-platform games, especially: iOS, tvOS, Android, Mac, and PC.
- A passion for fitness and health, especially related to cycling & running
Your resume/CV is enough to show off your skills, accomplishments, and experience. However, if you choose to include a cover letter introducing us to your awesome personality, we will read that too.
Of course, we are nothing without our values. Our values ground us. They ensure we run and build a company where people love to work, feel like they are welcomed, included, and belong. Only then can they thrive and do their best work. The values we strive to live every day are:
- Make It Fun
- Elevate Teammates
- Cultivate Our Community
- Always Level Up
- One Zwift for All
We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Zwift is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.