We came across interesting new jobs at Striking Distance Studios/PUBG, Facebook, Probably Monsters, and Ascendant Studios – and they’re looking for an Audio Lead (CA, US), Sound Designer (WA, US), Senior Sound Designer (WA, US), and Senior Sound Designer (CA, US).
We also found openings for a Sound Designer at People Can Fly (NY, US), Music Marketing Manager at Rockstar (NY, US), Audio Designer at Obsidian Entertainment (CA, US), Audio Producer at Psyonix (CA, US), Director of Audio at Morning Brew (NY, US), Audio Engineer at Radical Forge (England), Sound Designer at Gebr. Märklin & Cie. (Germany), Podcast Producer at Rebel Girls (CA, US), Sound Engineer at GradBay (England), Audio Engineer at LumiQ (ON, Canada), Lecturer in Video Game Sound Design at Manchester Metropolitan University (England), Technical Audio Designer at Triotech (QC, Canada), Audio and Acoustics Researcher at Dolby (US), Live Music Assistant Producer at the BBC (London, UK), and Sound Designer II at Piranha Games (BC, Canada).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Sound Designer at Posao (Belgrade), Freelance ADR / VO Engineer for a freelance gig (CA, US), and Advanced Technical Audio Designer at Certain Affinity (TX, US). Happy job hunting!
Highlighted sound stories this week:
• Behind the sound of Tenet
• Two audio interviews with Oscar-winning sound supervisor Richard King
• Behind the sonic magic for of the world’s most popular theme park rides at Disney World
• Dillon Bennett and Eilam Hoffman on the sound of HBO’s award-winning fantasy series His Dark Materials
Company: Striking Distance Studios/PUBG
Location: San Ramon, CA, US
What we need:
Striking Distance Studios is looking for a creative and technical Audio Lead with the capability to design and implement assets, lead the audio efforts for an entire project, and specialize in key audio systems.
- Engage in the prototyping of game mechanics, proof of concept and experimenting of features in engine and offline via linear sound design and interactive audio environments.
- Manage a team of audio designers, providing them with guidance and feedback on audio quality, consistency, and implementation
- Design next level audio content with foresight of implementation methodology for said content.
- Author, premix, and integrate audio assets within engine via WWISE and other audio middleware.
- Work within UE4 engine to further integrate authored and designed material.
- Work closely with various teams to achieve audio excellence across all disciplines.
- Engage with Audio Engineers to help refine \ align best practices with the aim of ultimately enhancing the product.
- Collaborate with Audio Director to execute and deliver upon audio feature sets, goals and ensure defined aesthetic is met throughout production.
- Engage in the planning and execution of complex recording sessions both in the field and on stage.
- Occasionally man or direct booth sessions if \ as needed.
- Edit, mix, and master audio materials.
- Excellent Sound Design aesthetic with a keen ear for detail.
- Capable of delivering on multiple styles and capacities.
- 5+ years of experience in AAA game audio;
- 1+ years’ experience leading a team including people management
- A minimum of two AAA titles shipped as Sound Designer
- WWISE and game scripting experience.
- Field and studio recording experience.
- Experienced in UE4 and scripting.
- Masterful within Pro Tools.
- Experienced with most industry standard plugin and toolsets (Waves, Izotope, etc…)
- Solid grasp of broadcast and mix specifications.
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we're just getting started.
As a Sound Designer at Facebook, you'll be a pivotal part of creating immersive VR experiences. Your skill with sound design and implementation will raise and define the bar for interactive sound. You will work closely with our different internal teams creating content for all of our products.Responsibilities
- You are, first and foremost, a Sound Designer who has made and will continue to create iconic sounds
- Expert with your tools of choice and possess both a keen aesthetic understanding of audio and a strong background in audio technology
- Create audio content for Facebook apps, VR, AR, and more
- Contribute to the future of sound design by working with and refining new technologies with our technology teams
- 5+ years experience in audio production for interactive experiences
- Communication and teamwork skills
- Experience working with commercial audio middleware such as Wwise and FMOD
- Experience working with game engines such as Unreal, Unity, etc. and asset management/version control systems such as Perforce, Git, etc
- AR/VR sound design experience
- Mobile platform experience
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Company: Probably Monsters / Firewalk Studios
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Senior Sound Designer
ABOUT FIREWALK STUDIOS
Our mission is to create industry-leading multiplayer games for players around the world. We are working on an unannounced and original next-generation AAA title.
Our studio is looking for a Senior Sound Designer who is incredibly passionate about games and bringing exceptional entertainment to millions of players. As our Senior Sound Designer, you will be responsible for creating and implementing world-class sound effects, helping our Audio Director and Game Director achieve their creative vision.
- You are an exceptional sound designer that has a diverse portfolio of outstanding content.
- You have a refined audio aesthetic with a keen ear for detail and nuance.
- You strive to advance the art and science of game audio, taking audio experiences to the next level for gamers while finding ways to improve the workflow and pipeline for the audio team.
- You are both creative and technical, understanding that implementation and mixing play a crucial role in the overall quality of the audio experience.
- You are a team player who can collaborate across disciplines but can also work semi-autonomously with minimal supervision.
- You are passionate about gaming and strive to create amazing audio experiences for gamers.
- Designing and implementing sounds for cinematics and/or interactive content.
- Meeting with the Audio Director and/or Game Director to review your most recent work.
- Playtesting the game for both audio QA purposes and to give notes on the game as a whole.
- Working with a Gameplay Designer to make sure your sounds are supporting gameplay mechanics and feedback.
- Collaborating with both the Audio Programmer and the Audio Director to develop and refine our in-game audio systems and implementation pipeline.
- Field or foley recording to augment our proprietary SFX library.
- You have a proven ability to create visceral and immersive audio experiences in games.
- You have a deep knowledge of game audio implementation tools and technologies.
- You have significant field and studio recording experience.
- You have shipped multiple AAA quality games.
- You have at least 5+ years of professional sound design experience in linear and/or interactive entertainment.
ABOUT PROBABLYMONSTERS INC.
ProbablyMonsters™ is a builder of sustainable game studios that creates and launches original AAA games through a people-first culture. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. In an industry where new AAA studios and developer-focused cultures are equally rare, ProbablyMonsters stands out by fostering both with excellence. We empower our family of studios to concentrate on game creation while our platform team focuses on providing early stage infrastructure and long-term support. This unique development model provides each of our teams the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Our family of studios includes: narrative-driven Cauldron Studios™, multiplayer-focused Firewalk Studios™, and our third studio, not named yet, already working on a next-gen co-op RPG game. Learn more about our people, culture, and commitment to exceptional creativity at probablymonsters.com
Company: Ascendant Studios
Location: San Rafael, CA, US
Ascendant Studios is looking for a senior audio designer with a wealth of experience and a superb imagination to help us create the audioscape of our new game universe. Our ideal candidate is a highly creative individual who can imagine sounds for things that do not exist in the real world and implement their own work within UE4.
This is a full time position. We are all currently working remotely due to Covid-19, but once we return the position may either be based in our office in San Rafael, CA, or remain fully remote.
Please include a link to a reel of your work when applying for this position.Key Responsibilities
- Work alongside the Lead Sound Designer to develop all aspects of audio for a new IP, including designing world-class sound effects for VFX, ambient backgrounds, foley, UI, etc.
- Work alongside and guide outsource partners for SFX and music creation.
- Work with other disciplines to make sure that audio department needs are met and audio is working and performant on various platforms.
- Implement new sound effects in engine for both real time gameplay and cinematics using Wwise and Unreal Engine 4.
- Collaborate with level designers and cinematic artists to create an engaging soundscape for both high octane action and emotive narrative moments.
- Help to record, mix, edit, and implement voice over audio.
- May occasionally direct voice actors.
- 3+ years experience as an audio designer, AAA titles on modern consoles preferred
- Deep knowledge of sound design practices and audio theory.
- Expert proficiency with modern audio software and strong technical knowledge.
- Extremely creative – can come up with imaginative and intuitive sounds for things that do not exist in the real world to create a cohesive soundscape for a brand new universe.
- Previous experience working with external teams on sound, music, and voiceover.
- Proficient in music, ambient, effect, and voice over editing.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve on the fly, and collaborate efficiently across disciplines in a small, fast moving team. Great written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to identify and resolve issues, and understanding of technical dependencies.
- Understanding requirements and limits for audio on current and last generation consoles as well as PC. Comfortable working with next gen technology.
- Shipped titles with Audiokinetic Wwise
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine 4 for both gameplay and cinematics
- Previous work on first person titles and/or shooters.
- Prior experience directing voice over or performance capture sessions.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an audio related field.