We came across interesting new jobs at Splash Damage, Mojang, Blizzard Irvine, and Harebrained Schemes – and they’re looking for an Assistant Audio Designer (England), Audio Programmer (Sweden), Sound Designer – Overwatch 2 (CA, US), and Audio Programming Engineer (WA, US).
We also found openings for a Re-Recording Mixer at Molinare (UK), Principal Sound Designer at Riot LA (CA, US), Audio Engineer at EPOS (Denmark), Voice Designer at Ubisoft Red Storm (NC, US), Audio Software Engineer at Maxis (CA, US), Senior Audio Designer at BioWare (AL, Canada / TX, US), Technical Audio Designer at Criterion Games (England), Audio Engineer at Australian Radio Network (VIC, Australia), Sound Designer at StoryMe (Belgium), Audio Engineer at Nashville Symphony (TN, US), Audio Artist 3 at EA Shanghai (SH, China), Sound Designer at PlayStation Europe (England), Senior Sound Designer at Zwift (US), Lead Sound Designer at PlayStation Europe (England), Senior Technical Sound Designer at Tencent America (CA, US), and Dialogue Audio Engineer at Creative Assembly (England).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Commercial Music & Audio Production at Western Carolina University (NC, US), Senior Sound Designer at Infinity Ward (CA, US), and Experienced Audio Designer at Obsidian Entertainment (Remote Contract). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week:
• How the WB Sound team shaped The Conjuring 3’s sound to feel scary yet real
• Award-winning composer Gareth Coker shares insights on how to get started and succeed in composing for the game industry
• Foley Artist Adrian Medhurst and Sound Designer Robert Mackenzie take you behind the sonic gore in the Mortal Kombat movie
• Lots of excellent new independent sound effects libraries added
Company: Splash Damage
Location: London, UK
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studioThe role
Assistant Audio Designers at Splash Damage are embedded within our audio team and help us craft the audio experiences for our upcoming titles.
Guided by our team of experienced audio designers, and having a direct mentor, Assistant Audio Designers will experience most aspects of our audio design pipeline and workflows. They will contribute to creating sound for various features, both interactive and linear.
This is a fantastic opportunity for joining a professional Audio team and gaining hands-on experience in major areas of the game audio production process!You have:
- A real passion for audio, video games and a clear enthusiasm for playing games
- A keen interest in designing sound and implementing into a game environment
- A portfolio of work to demonstrate your skills with audio
- Awareness of current game audio concepts and techniques
- A can-do attitude and robust interpersonal skills; you love working with others and are comfortable taking on direction and feedback
- Solid time management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a team
- Prior audio design experience
- Familiar with a DAW, preferably Reaper
- Experience with game audio middleware
- Experience with Unreal Engine
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
The Mojang Audio team is expanding to help realize our dream of a better Minecraft experience. As a member of this team you will develop, extend and support audio tools and systems. You will do this in collaboration with the Audio Designer and / or Audio Lead, but also with other disciplines and under the supervision of the Audio Director. The audio programmer will be a source of knowledge and expertise among the audio team members, supporting Audio Designers in finding technical solutions, and will write clear and concise documentation on audio systems and tools developed.
Your main programming language will be C++, working with the Unreal Engine and middleware on our integrated editor/game development tools. You will innovate, advise, review and adapt our audio technology for use in multiple projects. You’ll join a cross-functional team and work closely with other programmers, designers, artists and testers all working together on a game enjoyed by over 100,000,000 players worldwide. We have big dreams for the future of Minecraft and need you to help make them happen!
By joining the team, you will find an environment that enables you to leverage your knowledge and values to maintain and evolve a healthy and collaborative culture as we grow.Some of your tasks will be
- Design, implement, and iterate on new and existing audio systems and audio tools
- Collaborate with Audio Designers and the localization team to develop systems for audio implementation
- Support multiple teams within Mojang Studios with knowledge and practical help
- Contribute to maintenance of systems and pipeline
- Develop future technology beyond state of the art
- Experience in programming audio systems and features
- Knowledge of audio engineering, signal processing and principles of sound
- 3+ years of professional C/C++ programming experience.
- Familiarity or willingness to learn other languages typically used for tools (e.g. C#, python)
- Familiar with the creative side of sound effects and music.
- Experience with audio middleware (for example FMOD or Wwise)
- Experience with console development
- Tools, workflow and system development insight from a modern game engine
- Ability to accurately predict task duration and understand dependencies between different development groups or disciplines
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Company: Blizzard Irvine
Location: Irvine, CA, US
Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch team is looking for a talented Sound Designer to help craft the epic new heroes, missions, and maps being created for Overwatch 2. We seek a Sound Designer capable of creating iconic sound and gameplay cues while bringing innovative ideas and techniques to the franchise. We want someone who loves games, game audio, plays Overwatch, and is truly passionate about their craft and advancing their skills.
The ideal candidate should have previous game team experience, a demonstrable artistic “voice”, and fluently understand the vital role of sound in gameplay. Candidate should have skill creating and implementing weapons, abilities, Foley, and environmental audio that exude character. The candidate must be proficient with a variety of software and hardware audio tools and be able to work well individually, and as part of a collaborative team.
The Sound Designer will work closely with their Sound Supervisor as well as all game team disciplines to deliver immersive and informative sound that aligns with the creative vision of Overwatch 2. The candidate should be an excellent communicator both in-person and online, be able to respond to direction, and make audio experiences that meld story and personality seamlessly with the gameplay.COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Committed to excellence
- Passionate about games and game audio
- Two or more years of game team sound design and implementation experience
- Proven track record of creating excellent original content
- Technically competent with tools, processes, and sound theory
- Capable of troubleshooting problems within audio and game tools
- Highly motivated and able to work successfully with minimal direction when needed
- Able to quickly improve or learn new skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to take direction and work cooperatively with other disciplines
- Experience editing and mixing sound-to-picture
- Experience authoring sound for surround formats
- Experience field recording and audio source creation
- Experience working with both commercial and proprietary audio, and implementation tools on multiple platforms
- Development experience with first-person shooters
- Experience using Wwise and Reaper
- Computer-readable or level-design style scripting or light programming knowledge
- Console game implementation
- Fluent in Blizzard games and lore
- Background in music production (though music composition is not within the scope of this job)
- Cover Letter
- Online demo of relevant experience
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing a true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Company: Harebrained Schemes
Location: Kirkland, WA, UA
Harebrained Schemes is looking for an Audio Engineer to join our Core Tech team in order to bring great audio tools to our sound designers and help hook their work back into the games. This is primarily an engineering / coding position, but will deal with audio frameworks and how audio effects gameplay.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with a deep understanding of—and appreciation for—player experiences across a variety of game genres and audiences, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.What You’ll Do
- Write editor C# Unity scripts for tools and features that enhance our Wwise/Unity interface and functionality
Write runtime C# scripts to drive audio states, triggers, and implementations in our games.
Keep up to date on Unity and Wwise features and technology
- Collaborate with the audio and engineering teams to take audio created in Wwise and get it into games. (And create tools and processes as needed to facilitate this pipeline.)
- Debug existing audio features for bugs and performance issues.
- Produce functional, maintainable code that meets performance requirements
- Engage in code review of existing and new code to improve code quality whenever possible.
- Assist with improving existing documentation as well as ensuring consistent documentation and adherence to coding standards in newly developed code.
- Collaborate with the Audio, Engineering, QA, and Production teams to maximize your contributions.
- Provide achievable task estimations based on your own ability.
- Help develop and deploy the shared Unity development API and toolset that grounds all HBS products.
- Communicate with multiple active development game projects to ensure their individual needs are met.
- Evaluate and promote existing project code into the shared API.
The knowledge and ability to drive a transition from audio tooling / game implementation being done ad-hoc to being done intentionally and carefully.
You have professional Unity development experience.
- You are proficient in C#
- You have a working knowledge of game audio technologies and tools.
You’re comfortable working in a large existing code-base with excellent code comprehension and a willingness to refactor as needed.
You have good communication skills
- You understand pro audio terminology and have a passion for audio in games
- Experience with the Wwise audio engine
- You’ve shipped a modern Unity title
- You have a broad knowledge of game technologies and tools.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project small enough (45-50 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment