We came across 4 interesting jobs at Bethesda, Schell, Psyonix, and Machine Zone – and they’re looking for Sound Designers, a Senior Audio Developer, and a Technical Sound Designer.
Company: Bethesda Game Studios
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Bethesda Game Studios is looking for a Sound Designer with a strong knowledge and understanding of game audio techniques and audio production fundamentals.
• Work closely with the audio team to design and create original audio content in accordance with the project’s design vision
• Produce quickly and respond efficiently to demands of multiple game teams for audio assets
• Implement audio assets using multiple techniques and proprietary tools
• Work with external sound/music providers
• Playtesting and debugging of game audio systems
• Work with programming team to provide input on future direction of audio tools
• Assist in maintaining audio-related documentation
• Minimum 3 years’ experience creating audio for games; including shipping at least one AAA title as sound designer
• Ability to create high quality audio samples and process externally created music, VO, and SFX for in-game use
• Excellent working knowledge of modern studio equipment, recording techniques, microphones and industry standard audio tools (Steinberg Nuendo, WaveLab, Reaper, Sound Forge, VST plug-ins, etc.)
• Strong sound design & technical skills
• Experience in field recording techniques and equipment
• Familiarity with a variety of audio middleware applications (WWise, FMOD, etc.)
• Experience managing external composer and/or audio assets providers
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of the video game development process
• Able to manage large-scale audio asset production
• Great communication skills
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
• Strong artistic and creative sense
• Able to work independently with minimal oversight
• Must submit work samples
• Experience working with the Creation Kit toolset
• Experience working with Steinberg Nuendo
• Video editing and production experience
• Experience in voiceover production, casting and directing actors, recording and editing
• Proficiency in Excel
• Proficiency in music composition and/or with a primary instrument
How to Apply:
Company: Schell Games
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire? If you answered “YES!” to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!
Our artists honor the unique aesthetic vision of each project and work to make all aspects of the experience beautiful. The team is comprised of 2D/conceptual artists, 3D modelers, technical and effects artists, audio designers and animators. We are seeking a talented Senior Audio Developer / Audio Manager to work on projects ranging from online worlds and handheld games to virtual reality experiences and themed interactive attractions.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle both technical and artistic issues during game development, as well as be able to work quickly in a team atmosphere with schedules and reliable milestone delivery. Applicant must be capable in audio design, SFX, VO recording and cleanup, and musical composition. While not a composition-specific role, that may be a part of the role responsibilities on a project-to-project basis. Candidate must have experience managing an audio team across a variety of projects and will be expected to take on Audio Management responsibilities in the studio, in addition to audio development work. This will include assisting with project scheduling, staffing of audio team members, estimating audio needs, as well as conducting formal review processes for and mentoring the Audio Team. Good organizational skills and scheduling abilities are critical.
The applicant will be working on a variety of projects in-house, previous experience working with game engines such as Unity and Unreal are a plus. Ability to work with a DAW is required, as is some experience with other programs such as FMOD or Wwise. We’re looking for someone excited about cross-disciplined collaboration and making great games with us!
Areas of Responsibility:
• Audio design
• VO recording and cleanup
• Occasional musical composition
• Managing audio team scheduling and staffing allocation
• Directing high-level audio pipeline, meaningfully contributing to decisions and maintaining audio development best practices
• Mentoring the audio team members on career development goals in correlation to project needs and goals
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of industry experience with a successful track record as an Audio Developer
• Portfolio/Reel of work must be available for review
• Team Management experience
• Expert knowledge of a DAW such as Logic, Reaper, or ProTools
• Wwise, FMOD, or other similar audio tools
• Ability to work in a broad range of audio styles and medium
• Knowledge of Ambisonic audio and contemporary VR mixing practices
• BFA preferred
Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We’re the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we’ve worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Location: San Diego, CA
Psyonix, an independent videogame developer located in downtown San Diego, is looking for a passionate and knowledgeable Technical Sound Designer to join our audio team.
As a Technical Sound Designer at Psyonix you are the conduit for the audio team to fully realize its most innovative vision. You will be the connection between the creative and technical arts and help heighten the experience for games like Rocket League. Working within a small audio team dedicated to crafting innovative and high quality audio experiences your impact will be paramount.
The ideal candidate is a master of game audio middleware, has a passion for sound design, and will be both a quick learner and enthusiastic problem solver. This person embraces both the creative and technical challenges that arise from rapid game development at a top tier studio.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Integration of Music, Dialogue, Sound Effects, Sound Design
• Scripting within Unreal
• Contributing to R&D of new audio features
• Helping both set and adhere to standards for audio projects
• Collaborating with audio team to create unique and immersive sonic experiences
• Creation/Design of new audio content to be utilized by the given project at hand
• Testing and debugging
Qualifications & Requirements:
• Experience integrating audio in game engines (e.g. Unity/Unreal)
• Highly proficient in Wwise and familiar with other middleware solutions
• Substantial knowledge of scripting for game engines and audio middleware
• Background in Audio Engineering (Recording, Mixing, Mastering)
• Experience in producing, editing, mixing, and integrating sound effects.
• A deep understanding of procedural sound design concepts
• Mastery of current pro audio tools (Pro Tools and other DAWs, microphones, outboard gear, etc.)
• Passion for developing best practices and innovative audio integration techniques for interactive games
• Self-disciplined and able to meet deadlines
• Excellent organization and communication skills
• Ability to provide and accept critical feedback in a professional manner
• 3+ years experience in a similar role
• Music Technology related degree or relevant work equivalent experience
• Certification in a relevant technical discipline
• Familiarity with Unreal Script (UE3) and Unreal Blueprints (UE4)
• Familiarity with Perforce (P4)
• Familiarity with C#, C++
• Familiarity with music scripting language such as Max/MSP
• Basic understanding of sound for linear mediums (music, film, tv)
NOTE: The following demo materials are required for consideration:
• Scripting Samples
• Video-reel demonstrating contributions to commercially released product
• Video-reel demonstrating sound design abilities
Company: Machine Zone
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
MZ is looking for a talented and experienced Audio Designer to join our expanding Marketing Art Team. You have at least 4 years experience working in games, cinematics, or related video production industry. Your creative and technical skill-set allows you to bring video pieces to life through musical scores, sound arrangements and effects. Working with our dedicated video group, you will craft compelling audio tracks that will compliment and embellish a viewer’s experience. You are a team player, willing to do what it takes to get the job done as well as a problem solver with a focused attention to detail.
This is a key role for our team and an opportunity to contribute to a growing and driven 3D video team. We are looking for someone willing to push creativity and storytelling to deliver impactful video content relevant to MZ’s highly successful mobile titles.
What you’ll be doing:
• Provide music and sound to a broad range of video marketing deliverables across a variety of titles and platforms
• Create audio mixes for multiple formats, digital and broadcast
• Record and create original sound content as necessary
• Carry audio projects through to completion at a high degree of fidelity
• Collaborate with the 3D video team to create audio assets that compliment actions, sequences and animations
• Work closely with the Creative team and Art Director to create highly polished video pieces for MZ’s marketing campaigns
• Successfully produce concurrent and competing projects in a fast-paced environment
Your background and who you are:
• 4+ years experience as a sound designer
• A great ear for quality and passion for audio fidelity
• Professional experience with Pro Tools for sound design and mixing
• Understanding of musical styles including orchestral, rock, pop, R&B, disco, etc.
• Experience recording voice talent and sound
• Understanding of optimization techniques and overall best practice for implementing audio in a video and broadcast pipeline
• Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner and on schedule
• Excellent communicator, able to present ideas verbally and visually
• Willingness to take constructive feedback and work in a team oriented setting
• Ability to problem solve and collaborate cross-functionally
• Flexibility to put in extra hours when necessary