We came across interesting new jobs at Cryptic Studios, EA Guildford, Sumo Sheffield, and Beenox – and they’re looking for an Audio Software Engineer, Intern Audio Designer, Senior Sound Designer, and Audio Integrator.
Plus, ProductionHub has several gigs in the US and Canada for an Audio Technician with Gear in San Diego, CA, Location Audio in Swift Current, SK, Location Sound Recorder/Mixer in Notre Dame, IN, Post Sound Mixer in Rockville Center, NY, Sound Recordist in NYC, Sound Mixer/Boom Op in Tigard, OR, Post Sound Mixer in New Haven, CT, Location Sound in Washington DC, Audio Engineer in Las Vegas, NV, Post Sound Mixer in Los Angeles, CA, Mixing and Mastering at Dallas, TX, and a Remote Film Music Composer. Happy job hunting!
Company: Cryptic Studios
Location: Los Gatos, CA, USA
Cryptic Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of Perfect World Entertainment, sets a new standard for massively multiplayer online role playing games. Our company has a track record for creating critically-acclaimed and highly-entertaining free-to-play games that appeal to a wide variety of audiences Located in Northern California in Silicon Valley, we offer the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of a mid-size MMORPG developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. Join the mission! At Cryptic we aim for greatness. We hire amazing talent and empower them to grow into their full potential.
Cryptic Studios is currently seeking a Software Engineer, Audio to create and maintain our audio pipeline and systems. You’ll work closely with Sound Designers, Leads, and other programmers in our studio to drive a great game audio experience for our players.
Located in Northern California in Los Gatos, we offer the fun, focused, and casual atmosphere of a small developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. At Cryptic, we look for people who have passion for what they do and work well in teams to create and operate fun and challenging online games.
- Improve the workflows for how we get voice overs and other audio into our existing games.
- Evaluate Third Party solutions for Audio for our next game, in concert with our Audio and Engine Teams.
- Improve stability of the Audio code on all of our Shipping Platforms (Windows, Xbox One, PS4).
- Add more advanced audio features to our new game.
What we need to see
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Attention to details.
- A passion for working in the Audio space, and a care for customer experience.
- Very proficient in C/C++ programming and debugging, especially in multi-threaded code.
- Proficient in source code version control systems such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience with audio middleware, like FMOD or WWise.
- Deep knowledge of audio fundamentals (filtering, reverb, compression schemes, etc.).
- Experience with sound design, including digital signal processing (DSP) and data compression techniques.
- 4 year degree and 2 years of professional Audio or Tools Engineering experience, or the equivalent.
What we’d like to see
- Experience with music and adaptive music systems.
- Experience creating complex voice over playback systems.
Company: EA Guildford
Location: Guildford, UK
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE UNLESS YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA
- Currently studying in the penultimate year of an undergraduate degree.
- Available to commence a full-time, 1 year placement in summer 2019.
- Available and eligible to work in Guildford, UK, without the need for visa or relocation support.
- You must provide a portfolio/showreel to be considered for this position. Be sure to highlight the specific work you were responsible for if your showreel includes group projects.
To apply: Submit an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter which explains why you want to complete your internship with Criterion and what interests you in this specific placement.
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality. We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems. The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better. Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead
Criterion have recently embarked on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Battlefield V and pushing the boundaries with our own brand-new IP. We are growing our team with talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards, and you, the next generation of game makers, are central to this ambition. As we explore new possibilities within gaming, challenge our own beliefs and step outside of our comfort zone, we need fresh perspective that challenges convention and inspires us to grow.
We want to find an Audio Intern whose creativity will help us to develop our best sounding work yet, and whose fresh perspective will inspire us in the process.
What An Audio Intern Does
Criterion considers audio to be essential for an exciting and immersive gaming experience. The audio team brings our games to life by crafting soundscapes that include emotive character interactions, rich environmental ambience, visceral physical impacts, and tightly designed vehicles. Collaborating closely with the Audio & Narrative Director and wider development team, an Audio Intern will assist with audio design, implementation, recording, and organisation whilst working hands-on to create our next incredible project.
What An Audio Intern Needs
- To be in the second year of an undergraduate degree and available for a 1-year placement commencing Summer 2019
- Experience with applied audio studies as part of the degree
- Working knowledge of an industry-standard DAW
- Samples(s) of previous audio work
- A genuine interest in sound design
- Familiarity with games of any kind
Please note: While music is important to us, this position will not involve any composition work.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, We Offer Competitive Compensation Packages. Other Benefits Include
- Free onsite gym.
- Two annual parties (Summer & Christmas).
- Onsite café.
- Our very own barista.
- Games Area
More importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
We Thought You Might Also Want To Know
We are based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London. Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
Company: Sumo Sheffield
Location: Sheffield, UK
Sumo Digital is one of the UK’s most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don’t miss out. Join us. We are seeking experienced, talented Senior Sound Designers with a passion for creating world class audio content to join the team on AAA console titles. This is an incredible opportunity to join our dedicated team to produce outstanding audio on our most exciting projects yet. You’ll be working alongside enthusiastic designers creating and implementing original SFX using our in house library and field recordings as well as helping to source and record new material.
Within this role you will:
- Create AAA standard, original SFX using a range of sound design methods and techniques
- Have an in-depth understanding of Wwise middleware.
- Have audio at the forefront of everything you do, presenting audio interests within cross-discipline feature groups
- Work closely with our talented Audio Team to deliver AAA audio for our games.
We will need you to have experience of:
- Full cycle work experience as an Audio Designer on at least 4 shipped AAA titles
- Demonstrable sound design skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Advanced working knowledge of Wwise middleware
- Good knowledge of field and studio recording
- Familiarity with Foley recording and application.
- Experience in working with sound to picture.
- Ability to mentor junior team members
- Strong communication skills and ability to liaise with clients.
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Well organized and self-motivated
- Strong creative sound design skills
- High technical ability.
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- Current gen console development/production
- Experienced Nuendo user
- Comfortable running dialogue sessions
- Experienced in multichannel sound design
- An understanding of current developments in interactive audio
- Working experience of creating UE4 Blueprints or similar visual scripting
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces – all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Location: Quebec City, QC, Canada
Beenox is a video game development studio created in 2000. Located in beautiful Quebec City, Canada, Beenox is a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Publishing Inc., one of the world’s top game developers.
The studio is proud to contribute to the development of the Call of Duty video game franchise. Beenox has also contributed to the resounding success of the Skylanders, Spider-Man, and Guitar Hero franchises.
As members of the Beenox family, we feel as if we’re part of a group of like-minded people who are great to work with. Our studio is a real open world where it’s easy to have discussions with everyone, including our studio co-heads. Here everyone brings their own unique touch to projects that showcase their talent on a global stage.
You could say that video games are in our blood!
- Develop audio integration tools with the help of an audio programmer
- Test the tools and validate their functionality
- Integrate the ambiance zones and the audio occlusion environments
- Assign different «triggers» in the audio entertainment and scripted events
- Integrate music and voices
- Prepare the audio environment for the sound designers
- Regularly test the audio integration and be responsible for assigning audio problems to the correct people
- Minimum of one (1) video game project completed as sound designer or audio integrator
- Ability to work under the technical constraints of developing video games
- Excellent organization skills
- Capacity to work with structure, rigor and meticulousness
- Good artistic skills and critical audio thinking
- Ability to communicate with other members of your team
- Capacity to adapt to internal tools and a changing environment
- Knowledge of 3D Studio Max is considered a plus
- Knowledge of audio integration software is considered a plus
- Passion for video games.