We came across interesting new jobs at PlayStation, Toys for Bob, Avec Audio, and Echoic Audio – and they’re looking for an Audio Programming Intern (CA, US), Sound Designer (CA, US), Composer/Sound Designer (NH, US), and In-house Composer (UK).
We also found openings for an Intern Sound Designer at HTC (WA, US), Sound Designer/Producer at NBCUniversal (NY, US), Senior Audio Programmer at PlayStation (CA, US), Sound Editor via Aquent Hiring (WA, US), Composer/Sound Designer at Whole Picture Films (NY, US), Sound Designer at Meow Wolf (NM, US), and Contract Audio Programmer at Magic Leap (FL, US).
Location: San Diego, CA, US
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
This internship is for Summer 2020 for an Audio Programmer in San Diego, CA.Responsibilities:
- You will develop and maintain proprietary tools that our game designers use to generate content for our game
- You will innovate and maintain game engines that support said tools
- You will write a lot of code in C++
- You will maintain some in house Python scripts
- For Audio, you will collaborate with sound engineers to upgrade tools that are getting outdated
- Pursuing an Undergraduate or master’s degree in Computer Science / Computer Engineering / EE
- Proven game programming experience
- A deep understanding of C and C++
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, etc)
- A deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Strong mathematics background (linear algebra, statistics, geometry)
- Sports fan or athletic experience or athletic/sport hobbyist is a plus
- A real passion for audio programming
- A good work ethic
- Always striving to create something better
- Obtained or actively pursuing a master’s degree
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Company: Toys for Bob
Location: Novato, CA, US
A Sound Designer designs, oversees, and implements a full range of audio features on a game project. The Sound Designer refines and alters these sounds until the desired quality and impact are achieved in the game. This requires in-depth communications with other team members to define the desired creative goals, a great ear to design and refine excellent audio and diligent attention to detail in the implementation of the sounds.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Design, edit, implement and test sound effects for the game.
- Pro-actively determine audio needs for the game, and pro-actively address them
- Participate in Audio Department initiatives and/or tool development.
- Coordinate with game designers and the audio team to reach audio aesthetic goals.
- Record, edit and track VO recordings to support production narrative efforts.
- Other duties assigned as required.
The skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Two or more years of related experience.
- A minimum of one shipped AAA title in an audio/sound design capacity.
- A bachelor’s degree in music or sound design is preferred.
- Proficiency in designing creative, nuanced sound on schedule.
- Proficiency in digital audio authoring software such as Reaper, Sound Forge, etc.
- Experience with audio middleware (FMOD, Wwise)
- Experience with game engine scripting.
- Experience editing and/or arranging music.
- Good understanding of the technical restrictions around video game audio including performance, memory management, streaming capabilities of game consoles, etc.
- Studio recording experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and problem-solving ability are essential.
- Demonstrable passion for developing high quality audio and games.
- Seek and be open to feedback and suggestions from others.
- Be flexible and responsive to the needs of the team and value working relationships.
- Make and stick to a realistic schedule.
*** Please include a link to your demo reel alongside your application ***
Toys for Bob is a band of inventors, makers, and magicians who have been developing whimsical AAA console games for over 25 years. We play in a former military hangar that’s been converted into a colorful, tiki-themed, dog-friendly paradise just 20 minutes north of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge. Best known for inventing the “Toys to Life” genre with Skylanders, we are a team of out-of-the-box thinkers who are driven to create memorable new experiences that inspire joy through levity and play. If you love games, are great at what you do, and don’t take yourself too seriously, we’d love for you to be part of the family!
Company: Avec Audio
Location: Manchester, NH, US
We are an online Music & SFX marketplace that connects Music Creators & Sound Designers to Creative Agencies, Production Companies, Video Game Companies, and Podcasts. The company is lead by a Music Industry Emmy Award winner.
We dare to imagine a world where Music Creators and Sound Designers are no longer dependent upon “The Middle Man” for an income. That’s why we’ve combined cutting-edge technology with an intuitive social marketplace to help creators build their own legacy.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for orchestral composers first and foremost. However, jingle writers, sound designers, and artists should apply as well! This person should have a deep passion for composition, having the ability to produce high quality finished products. This person should have the ability to musically adapt, but has a focused genre/style. The qualities we look at; Ability to write/voice lead, use of samples libraries, mixing/mastering, and quality of live recordings. Your primary roll will be to collaborate with our clients, and provide them with an outstanding product. Candidates ideally will come to the table with at least 10 compositions that they have produced. These compositions will be used to show our clients, with potential offers upfront.
Skills and Experience:
- Ideally will have a BA in Music Composition, Performance, or Engineering
- Exceptional orchestral music, composing jingles, and SFXs are a plus.
- Adapt to all styles, but having a single focus.
- Be able to mix and produce your own tracks from concept to finished product
- Recording individual instruments for your tracks to bring them to life
- Orchestration and score preparation in Sibelius, Finale, Staff Pad, etc.
- Writing and producing all of your music in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, or Reaper, FL Studios, Ableton, or Studio One
- Ideally will have software certifications in at least one DAW
- Ability to use sample libraries like a champ!
- Experience composing interactive and adaptive music for video games is a huge plus!
- Opportunity to work with innovators, creatives, and with proprietary technology used to generate clients for your music (built in-house).
- Ability to work remotely, with flexibly.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, with highly motivated individuals that take smart risks, leverage new technologies, and have a deep passion for the entrepreneurial spirit.
- Commission Bonus
- Scalable Salary
- relevant: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
Company: Echoic Audio
Location: Bristol, UK
The role is full time covering a 37.5 hour week with 22 days holiday. Salary is 22k-28k negotiable based on experience. The position will commence on November 1st 2019.
The successful candidate will have a wide range of composing skills across different genres. The primary focus is on music composistion skills from jamming out modern beats and grooves to contemporary orchestral soundtracks. Ideally we are looking for candidates with at least 2 years experience composing music to picture, working with clients, and completing successful briefs in the advertising industry. Although this is not a trainee position but we will also consider exceptional graduates with an appropriate portfolio. You will work within a team of other composers and sound designers to create exceptional soundtracks for animation, advertising, TV & film. If you think you have the skills we’d love to hear from you.
We are looking for a talented composer with excellent core skills composing contemporary and classical music to picture. Ideally, you will also have experience in modern music production creating music from a variety of genres. If you can slam out beats that get us inspired we want to hear from you. If you can create beautiful emotive string and orchestral compositions we want to hear from you. You will also have the chance to work with live musicians so we’d love to know you have experience recording instruments and vocalists. It’s important you are familiar with the kind of music we regularly produce. Check out the following examples.Here’s a good range of the styles of music we expect a composer to excel in
Marvel x Clarks – Future Deluxe
Meizu Note9 – Seen Vision
OFFF Main Titles 2019 – Chris Bjerre
Android One – CCLab
– You will need to demonstrate a creative aptitude for composing and music production.
– Be passionate about how music can be used with moving picture.
– Have an awareness of the style of music and sound design we create at Echoic.
– Show originality through your portfolio and working processes.
– Have an excellent ear for audio production and mixing.
– Be self-motivated. An enthusiastic self-starter with your own ideas.
– Legally entitled to work in the UK and willing to work full time at our Bristol studio.
You will be an expert in your DAW but also be adaptable across multiple software suites. At Echoic we mainly use Logic X and Ableton 10 so a good working knowledge of these packages is essential. We will also be looking for someone who has experience using a wide range of audio tools and plugins. All our work is engineered to a very high level so an excellent sense of audio production and in-house mastering is also required.
Be confident in your skills, shout about your talents. If you play a variety of instruments let us know. If you’ve made your own instruments let us know. If you program your own synths, let us know.
You should be passionate, a team player, organised, highly motivated and able to work under pressure when necessary. But most importantly we need to hear some examples of your work.
Here is what we’d like you to send:
– Up to 4 video clips showing music you have composed to picture instructed by a client brief. Do not send us a showreel montage. We want to see specific briefed projects.
– 2 examples of your own music. These should ideally be modern & contemporary in style but can be from any genre. Surprise us with some variety!
– A brief description of the client brief, techniques and approaches you used to compose these examples.
– Please label ALL your files with your full name.
Remember this is a role for someone with experience. Be that industry client facing experience, or exceptional levels as a graduate.
Please include online (vimeo / youtube) links or sensibly sized download links for your files.
Please also send us a short covering letter as to why you would be a suitable candidate alongside your CV. We may ask for more portfolio examples later down the line but please just pick your best for this initial application.
We will make contact with every application. If we want to take your application further we’ll call you. If unfortunately, you have not been successful you will receive an email. Your patience is appreciated.
Apply by emailing the required assets to firstname.lastname@example.org – Deadline is Sunday 22nd September 2019.
Echoic Audio is a thriving and exciting place to work and we can’t wait to meet you!