We came across 4 interesting jobs at Telltale Games, Epic Games, Avalanche Studios, and Splash Damage – and they’re looking for an Audio Engineer, Audio Producer, Sound Programmer, and Lead Audio Programmer.
Company: Telltale Games
Location: San Rafael, CA, USA
Telltale Games is in the middle of an ambitious technological transformation and we are looking for leaders to take ownership over developing and driving our new technology stack.
Our internal technology, “The Telltale Tool”, has withstood the test of time and has become invaluable for rapidly creating interactive stories that are beloved by our players. But we are hungry to take it to the next level, and need strong technical leaders to help build and grow the next generation of our toolchains & technology across all major gaming platforms.
• Work closely with Telltale’s audio design team to improve workflows and enhance runtime feature set and performance
• Improve, debug, and extend existing platform technologies while also building new features in order to meet the needs of consoles, desktops, and high-end mobile devices
• Create clean APIs for internal tools and editors that support developing cutting edge game technology
• Create robust, long-lived, content-agnostic systems with abstraction layers that enable maximum cross-platform feature fidelity
• Keep abreast of latest developments in hardware & software via developer support, conferences, and publications
• Contribute to the overall architecture and design of the technology plan of the company and game titles
• Analyze code performance and optimize appropriately for speed and memory usage
Essential Skills and Experience:
• 5+ years of professional C++/STL experience is required
• 3+ years of professional game development experience which involved audio development on consoles (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, XboxOne, Switch)
• B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Experience with audio middleware such as FMOD or Wwise (bonus points for experience with FMOD Studio)
• Solid foundation in 3D math, algorithms, and modern computing fundamentals
• Self-directing and independent, working effectively within an existing engine structure
• Experience maintaining and debugging a large legacy code base developed by multiple programmers over many years
Company: Epic Games
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Epic is seeking an experienced Producer to work closely with its world-class Sound Design team. The ideal candidate for this role is knowledgeable about sound design and audio pipelines for game development. You should be passionate about delivering high-quality experiences for a range of projects and platforms. In this position, you’ll be responsible for handling and organizing the sound design pipelines so that our audio team can focus on what they do best.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
• Own the development, communication, and management of both daily and long-term scheduling
• Work closely with the Audio Director to identify and communicate roadblocks or bottlenecks that may prevent the team from achieving their goals
• Help to fully integrate audio into all teams and release pipelines at Epic, so that audio is informed and can create high quality assets on time, for all teams
• Assist audio team with planning, pipeline design, scheduling, and quality delivery.
• Coordinate and help task external contractors
• Work closely with other members of the production team to insure quality
• Manage bug and task tracking databases as part of audio production
• Document meetings and create team update documents; create action items from discussions
• Communicate and coordinate across disciplines and teams in a clear and efficient manner
• Bring together people and teams to solve problems in a fast moving and varied environment
• Communicate frequently with the rest of the production team and team leads on project status, risks, and opportunities
• Promote open communication, because every voice matters
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
• Experience with game and linear media workflows and pipelines
• Familiarity with VO and music pipelines
• Experience shipping at least one complex/AAA game under time constraint as the project management part of a creative department
• Experience managing tasks and production on a medium sized team or larger
• Experience operating in an environment where you have had to be agile, adaptable, re-prioritize, and still deliver successfully
• Experience approaching challenges creatively and methodically, seeing them through to final resolution
• Passionate about games, and an understanding of the business and cadence of games as a service
• Demonstrated experience taking a team from good to great in a production environment
For over 25 years, Epic Games has been making award winning games and game engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that brings environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
This is going to be Epic!
Company: Avalanche Studios
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
We are looking for an experienced Sound Programmer for an exciting and unique high-profile unannounced AAA title. At Avalanche Studios you will work with some of the industry’s most exciting technology and talented individuals.
As a sound programmer you will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining sound related systems within the Avalanche engine. This will involve using our in-house sound development tools as well as the fmod middleware api and our C++ game engine code. You will work closely with the game teams and our sound designers to produce a great open world game and you will be instrumental in our efforts to innovate within the area of sound in an open world.
The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated individual who is good at communicating and working within cross-discipline teams. The candidate should also have the ability to plan and carry out programming tasks to required levels of quality and on time.
• Expert level C/C++
• Experience from sound and/or games systems development
• A strong passion for sound and games
• Prior experience as a sound programmer on at least one shipped title on current-gen consoles
• Experience from working with fmod or other sound middlewares
• General sound system development and physics sound system development in particular DSP programming,
• Experience from working with fmod
• Audio codec experience
• Streaming / resource management
• Scripting (python or similar)
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Stockholm, Sweden.
Company: Splash Damage
Location: Bromley, UK
We believe our teams create better experiences when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
The Audio Programming team at Splash Damage is responsible for creating, extending and maintaining our game audio technology built around Unreal Engine 4 and Wwise. We work closely with the project’s Core Technology team and closely with the Audio and Gameplay teams, providing them with pipelines and tools that will enable them to create high-quality games.
As a Lead Audio Programmer, you will be responsible for spearheading the effort of your team from architecture design, to implementation and support. Your experience within the audio programming field will allow you to identify and execute on areas of innovation and improvement within our pipelines and systems.You will take into account the skills and talents of your team members and use their experience to identify risk, build roadmaps and become a force-multiplier for your team, mentoring them every step of the way.
We believe that constantly improving our skills is an essential part of the job and offer regular leadership, management and mentoring training opportunities.
You excel at:
• Setting clear technical direction, intent and best practices within your team.
• Identifying risks and blockers early and proactively removing them.
• Seeing the big picture impact of decisions and critically evaluating them.
• Nurturing professional growth within your team with an enthusiastic attitude and a team-first mentality.
• Practical and demonstrable professional experience with Audio programming
• Expert knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
• Professional experience with Audiokinetic Wwise, and integration within Unreal Engine 4.
• Solid understanding of game-related mathematics.
• The leadership skills to lead a sub-discipline team.
• Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design and implementation to bug-fixing.
• Experience working closely with design and gameplay teams to elicit requirements and design support systems.
Even better if you have:
• Professional experience with gameplay and multiplayer programming.
• Multi-platform and console development experience.
• Experience with localisation pipelines.
• Experience working with a procedural generation of content.
Located in the London borough of Bromley, Splash Damage is all about crafting the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4. We’re growing our studio for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for a talented and passionate developer to help create them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits and have been awarded The Sunday Times’s Best Companies accreditation three years running.