We came across interesting new jobs at Zynga, Pixel Toys, Unity, and Skybox Labs – and they’re looking for a Franchise Audio Director (Star Wars) (TX, US), Sound Designer (England), Senior Audio Developer (Remote), and Audio Systems Software Engineer (BC, Canada).
We also found openings for a Sound Design Intern at Virtual WarnerMedia Studios (GA, US), Sound Designer at Epic Games (NC, US), Senior Voice Designer at 2K Cloud Chamber (QC, Canada), Associate Producer, Music (Temp) at Blizzard Entertainment (CA, US), Associate Technical Audio Designer at Splash Damage (England), Audio Sound Engineer at Apple (CA, US), Sound Designer – eGaming at Intouch Games Ltd (England), Head of Sound (Theatre) at Yale University (CT, US), Audio Engineer at Iron Mountain (England), and Audio Programmer at Wildlife Studios (Brazil).
Bonus: The Audio Jobs group also has opportunities for a Senior Audio Designer at Remedy Entertainment (Finland), Senior Sound Designer and Composer at Frima (QC, Canada), Customer Support Specialist (Part-Time) at Impact Soundworks (Remote), Junior Music Editor at PlayStation (England), Lead Sound Designer at IO Interactive (Denmark), Senior Sound Designer at Hexany Audio (CA, US). Happy job hunting!
Highlight – sound stories this week: Strengthen your sound effects collection with some spectacular deals here. Tzvi Sherman demonstrates many of Wwise’s powerful tools for implementing your sounds into a game engine. Audi has shared this interesting look at how the interior sound of the Audi e-tron GT was created. Check out this excellent feature on how animal Foley is done – with veteran Foley artist Marko Costanzo. Meet Featured Sound Creator SoundBits here.
Location: Austin, TX, US
BossAlien is an award-winning developer of mobile games based in Brighton, UK, and we’re excited to announce the expansion of our team into Austin, TX! As we establish our presence in the Lone Star State, we need an experienced Franchise Audio Director to help steer development of our upcoming Star Wars action game.
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! Your passion and experience for building original games will be instrumental as we bring together a brand-new collective of developers to take on next-generation thinking and innovative products. As a studio leader, you will act as a key bridge in tight and effective collaboration with your UK-based counterparts.
This is a rare opportunity to play a part in the foundation of Zynga’s first action games studio in North America, and to make your mark on a brand-new franchise in the Star Wars universe and the future of mobile gaming.
About the position
The Franchise Audio Director will be a founding member of the Austin, TX studio, working closely with their counterparts both locally and in Brighton to build the next blockbuster mobile franchise, and setting the studio up for sustainable delivery and future growth.
We’re looking for a proven leader to help us establish a new audio department in Austin, TX, to bring our games to life with AAA soundscapes. In your role, you’ll bridge collaboration between our development team, audio vendors, composers, and licensors to deliver a beautiful and unforgettable audio experience to our players.
As a studio leader, it’s also crucial that our Franchise Audio Director not only shares but exemplifies our values of determination, trust, excellence, and celebrating the diversity of people and ideas.
This role will report into BossAlien’s General Manager in the UK. As a core member of the Austin leadership team, the Franchise Audio Director will have significant autonomy and a high level of impact on the studio’s design culture, and play a key part in building the studio’s team.
- Provide expert direction, leadership, management, creation and integration of game audio. Sound, Voice and Music. (Composition is not required, but music direction is)
- Work closely with the General Manager, Creative Director and other stakeholders to develop and maintain the highest quality audio experience.
- Contribute to strategic planning and development of the audio discipline for the game/franchise/studio/company, with the Head of Audio.
- Expert knowledge of how audio contributes to world-class gameplay experiences.
- Multiple shipped titles at Director, or perhaps Lead level.
- Proven successful direction, management, supervision and mentoring of internal or external audio staff.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with external contractors, suppliers and licensors.
- Expert ability to carry out due diligence for projects against technical/creative scope and budget.
- Expert use of DAW’s (e.g Pro Tools, Cubase, Vegas, Sound Forge), audio middleware (e.g. Wwise and FMOD), game engines (e.g. Unreal and Unity) and other common audio and game tools.
- Exceptional time management, able to prioritise and track work across a team, delivering on time to the highest level of quality.
- Expert ability to communicate clearly and in a flexible style, to stakeholders, team, peers and management.
- Linear audio design as well as interactive (e.g. Cinematics and marketing materials,)
- Knowledge of project management frameworks such as scrum/agile.
- Use of project management tools such as Jira.
- Legal understanding e.g. IP, contracts, licensing, rights.
- Ability to compose music.
- Excellent portfolio, demonstrating world-class audio design, ideally in multiple genres and styles, shooters as minimum (with details of involvement).
- Qualified to a degree+ level in an audio-related subject, or with equivalent experience.
- Competitive salary, bonus plan, Zynga RSU’s, RRSP Match
- Extended Health coverage as well as life Insurance
- Goodlife fitness annual membership
- Commuter benefits , daily lunches, snacks & drinks
- Vacation: Open vacation policy
- 26 weeks fully paid pregnancy leave for delivering mothers
- 12 weeks fully paid parental leave for fathers/partners and adoptive parents
- Zynga happy hours and frequent employee events
- Casual dress every single day
- Culture of diversity and inclusion
- Work with cool people and impact millions of daily players
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Zynga is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.
Company: Pixel Toys
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
We are seeking a talented Audio Designer with a passion for creating world-class audio content to join the team AAA mobile title. You’ll be responsible for creating and implementing original SFX using our in-house library as well as sourcing new material to bolster the library as our Audio Team expands.
- Create AAA standard, original SFX using a range of sound design methods and techniques
- Utilise both Unity’s core audio capabilities as well as FMOD middleware to produce excellent results in technical audio design
- Create and trigger audio events in both Unity’s audio engine as well as middleware, such as FMOD
- Assist the publishing team in the creation of trailers and other marketing materials
- Represent audio interests within cross-discipline feature groups
- Work closely with our new Audio Team to deliver AAA audio across all our games
Ideally, you will have most or all of the following:
- Demonstrable sound design skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Learning new systems quickly
- Good knowledge of field and studio recording
- Familiarity with Foley recording and application
- Good knowledge of audio middleware solutions
- Experience using Soundly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for playing and making games
- Experience developing on iOS or Android
- Experience and/or training in agile development
- Experienced Reaper user
- Comfortable running dialogue sessions
- Working experience writing code to implement audio in Unity
- Bachelor’s degree in music, audio or post-production or other relevant training
- Good musical knowledge as a musician and/or composer
- Competitive salary, reviewed annually
- Staff training and development
- Quarterly Wellness days (On-site massages, Yoga & nutritionally balanced
snacks and health foods)
- Flexi-time working hours
- 25 days holiday + additional duvet/loyalty holiday days
- Monthly socials and twice-yearly whole company events
- Private Medical and Death In Service Insurance
- Contributory Pension
- A warm, modern office environment – tea, coffee, fruit and soft drinks all provided
- Get the weekend started early with beverages and banter every Friday
- And a chance to shape and grow and benefit from the future of Pixel Toys
Unity Labs’ mission is to explore how content authoring, AI, deep learning, computer visualization, VR, AR and Cloud will evolve in the next decade to radically transform how content will be created, streamed and played. As part of Labs, we are launching a small agile team focussed on the future of digital entertainment and 3D interactive content streaming.
You will be part of a new team that will build exciting new products on top of the Unity Engine. You’ll be developing innovative new technology that will assist customers in the creation of spectacular prototype content. Alongside world-class engineers and content makers, you will develop ambitious proofs of concept exploring social communications, object-based audio codecs, and audio broadcast tools. Your day-to-day work will involve communicating directly with a customer’s technical leaders, researching and delivering solutions to their audio challenges, and developing customized audio plugins to ensure winning results in production.
This an opportunity to play a strategic role in establishing Unity’s position in an evolving landscape of direct-to-consumer apps and services.
- Develop innovative new ways to support large-scale multichannel social audio communications in the Unity Engine while maintaining quality and efficient performance
- Creating streaming broadcast audio tooling
- Developing new systems in Unity to preview, record, and stream new audio codecs
- Optimize audio systems to improve customer’s project performance
- Create example assets and projects to illustrate solutions and best practices
- Efficiently solve problems, communicate, and educate our customers, both remotely and on-site at their offices
- Educate and assist customers as they ramp up on using the Unity Engine
- Ideally, candidates have worked on the development of VST, AU, and/or AAX plugin formats
- Experience with audio-oriented network programming
- Experience with FFTs, JUCE, VADs and echo cancellation techniques
- Excellent C#, C, and C++ programming skills
- Comfortable programming in multi-threaded codebases
- You have worked as an audio programmer in multiple real-time game engines
- You are familiar with Unity’s FMOD-based audio system, its audio plugin architecture, Unity’s Audio Mixer system, and Unity’s Director/Timeline systems
- You have developed software using Vivox voice technology
- You have developed audio software utilizing ambisonics, MPEG-H, or Dolby Atmos
- Experience developing audio software in the Unity game engine
Unity is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,400+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than three billion times per month in 2019 on more than two billion unique devices. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Company: Skybox Labs
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite , connect players across platforms in Minecraft , unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena . SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite , projects in the Minecraft Universe , supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena , and original title, Stela . As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
Our Halo Infinite team is looking for an engaged, passionate Audio Systems Software Engineer with prior experience in game development to join our expanding team!
Participating as a key member to the systems team, this individual will have a major impact on many player experiences within the game.
- Collaborate with a team to help build new game features
- Take ownership of systems-related software engineering challenges
- Guide, mentor, and contribute to the feedback process to improve the development team and our relationship with our partners
- Provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to engineering leads and project managers
- Push the boundaries of what you know by learning new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- Advanced knowledge of C++ programming
- Audio systems programming experience
- At least 5+ years of professional experience in game development
- Experience shipping at least one AAA game title
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to self-direction, collaboration and constant improvement
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent knowledge of software design and architecture best practices
- Network multiplayer experience
- Strong debugging skills
- Experience developing highly multithreaded game engines
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups – you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us at http://skyboxlabs.com/ Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.